As you get older ... weight train more or cardio more?

I'm not in the 40+ crowd yet, but ever since my late teens I have lived a very active and healthy lifestyle. I am a big advocate of walking and biking. So much so that it was my only form of exercise throughout my entire 20's. I was in decent shape, healthy, never gained a pound, but I was also not very toned. Let's just say, I had lots of flabby area's despite my perfect BMI :eek:. My body did not drastically change until I had a child and starting doing exercise video's (cardio, circuit) and incorporating strength training into my weekly exercise regime. Once I found Cathe and made strength training a priority (3X/week) my body composition changed. I probably weigh the same as I did in my early 20's but look MUCH fitter, toned, and all around less jiggly! Along with the physical aspects, my confidence has soared :D. Right now I like to find a healthy balance of cardio/strength/core & yoga -- something I neglected to do in my 20's. I don't put more emphasis on cardio or strength, as I find for me both are equally important to maintaining lean muscle mass and keeping my heart healthy. Although I would much prefer to lift some iron than run on a treadmill any day ;)

Natasha

I turned 40 in April and I find I need more cardio these days then I used to...Can't really tell you specifically how much I do of each coz it's ever-changing but overall-my need for cardio has definitely increased with my age and my weight lifting needs have seemed to stay the same. I'm not losing any muscle with the increased cardio, just helping to fight the fat!

Heavy weight training is important at any age, but it is especially true for older women. We need to lift heavy for bone density. I see a lot of thin older women walking the beach, and my subdivision who have no muscle tone. They are thin, but there is no shape to their arms, legs or glutes. Shape comes from weight lifting.
I put my maximum energy into weight training, and give what's left over to cardio.

Now that I'm in my mid-forties (how did that happen?!), I find I use weights more often than I used to. I try to do 1-2 heavier weight workouts per week, and I also use light weights in interval and circuit training 1-2 times per week. I'm sure to take caution to avoid overdoing it, and as a result, remain injury-free. The other two days I do pure cardio. On my day of rest I do yoga. Seems to be maintaining my muscle mass which we all know decreases as we get older.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.