Apples make me hungry. Anyone??

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Ok, I lovelovelove apples, especially this time of the year. I eat one a day in the fall, keeps the Dr away, ya know? But it doesn't keep the growly belly monster away. Apples are big, they are heavy, they have fiber, so why do I always feel like I'm starving to death 20 mins after I eat one? Its always been this way. I could gnaw my arm off about now. I can't be the only one who gets the apple hungries, right?

Nan

Same here! I always eat mine with either string cheese or a few almonds. I thought that the protein would help...nope. I still eat an apple most days though. When I don't, I find myself craving the juicy little suckers. But, I am just like you, about 20 mins later, 30 max, tummy starts to rumble!

Heather

Nan - They do the same thing to me too! Minutes after eating one, my stomach starts growling and feels empty.

Same here! Wonder why that is?
I do love, love, love apples...the smell of them, the crunch when I bite into one, then first tangy taste that hits the tongue....YUM. I'm off for a Royal Gala right now...:p

Add me to this list! One of my all-time favorite snacks is apples and peanut butter, but go figure, I'm hungry again after about an hour!

I'm the same way as well! I love them, eat them as a dessert with my lunch, but only after the belly is full of something else.

Me too! Takes away the virtuous feeling if I'm back in the fridge digging for supplemental snacks. But, oh, honeycrisp, sooooooo delicious!

Apples are a fast-transit food (as are most non-fat fruits, as long as you eat them only with other non-fat fruits), which means they digest quickly and their nutrients get into your system quickly as well.

IMO, they are the perfect snack for an hour or two before a meal (best not after, as that slows down the transit time, and they can start to ferment and cause gas).

So glad youposted this Nan. It happens to me too. I have always read they are supposed to keep you fuller - not so much.

But I do love my apples! :D

Thanks for the explanation Kathryn :)

They make me pee...A LOT (haha). I actually end up having to use the restroom soon after having an apple...and, true, they don't fill me much either. Bananas have the exact same effect on me.

Apples are a fast-transit food (as are most non-fat fruits, as long as you eat them only with other non-fat fruits), which means they digest quickly and their nutrients get into your system quickly as well.

IMO, they are the perfect snack for an hour or two before a meal (best not after, as that slows down the transit time, and they can start to ferment and cause gas).

Thanks!!!! At least I know I'm not weird. Well, at least w/ the apples :p

I never even thought about it. Google "apples make me hungry" and you'll see all sorts of questions and possible answers about this very subject.

I'm eating a Honey Crisp right this minute. I'll report back in about an hour and see if it's true for me too! :D

Me too! I always assumed it was some kind of fruit acid hitting my stomach and making me want to put something else in there to neutralize the acid. It's just the explanation I invented for myself. No idea if it has any validity.

Sugar makes you hungry. I cant site the article but I read that people who eat bananas in the morning eat more calories all day.

In the Atkins New diet revolution he says that when people who are sensitive to sugar eat sugar (apples count) our bodys send out insulin and it wipes out the sugar in our blood. Then our body says "Oh no blood sugar- I'm hugry"

Seems to be really true for me. I have to limit my fruit intake and I never eat it alone

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.