Appalled With How Federal Government Handled Katrina Disaster

RE: Appalled With How Federal Government Handled Katrin...

Bunbun,

With all do respect, we realize the impact this devastation has caused. As we are all individuals, we react our own way to what is going on.

After 9-11 this country was supposed to be gearing up to be ready for any more devastational attacks that may have occured. All though this crisis wasn't man made, it's proof we are far from ready. It makes me afraid and then it makes me angry.

I know you are trying to defuse the frustration but for each of us, that is a process we own within ourselves. Please don't tell us how to feel, think or react.

My intention was not to tell anyone how to feel, think or react. I had just heard that fact yesterday about the size of the area being comparable to England, and I thought it added some helpful perspective to it. I'm sorry if you took it personally, because it wasn't meant to be--I was trying to help calm things down, but obviouisly, I have only insulted some people further. Please accept my apologies.

Frankly, I feel that this thread needs to be deleted at this point. I am done with it now.

I agree with you, Candi. That it was not manmade is a consolation to me. I was just thinking aobut 9/11 as many of us are, I'm sure. Besides I am participating in the more positvie threads as well and there's a balance in that that makes venting here seem okay. Need to vent. I also vow to work on my communication skills so as not to be misinterpreted but know I may never get that right either. :)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

>My intention was not to tell anyone how to feel, think or
>react. I had just heard that fact yesterday about the size of
>the area being comparable to England, and I thought it added
>some helpful perspective to it. I'm sorry if you took it
>personally, because it wasn't meant to be--I was trying to
>help calm things down, but obviouisly, I have only insulted
>some people further. Please accept my apologies.
>
>Frankly, I feel that this thread needs to be deleted at this
>point. I am done with it now.

Actually, I appreciate your analogy. We are far away and while watching the TV tells us there is massive tradegy, and seeing the troops on the interstate yesterday heading south hit home how far away people are coming, putting a size on it is another way of making it hit home. This hurricane wiped out a huge amount civilation and it will take a long time to get it right(as folks who went through Andrew certainly can attest).

Bunbun, workoutqueen and others, what is so bad about assigning some blame? Sometimes assigning blame can be a way to ensure that major mistakes don't happen again. I generally avoid assigning blame for small, human mistakes that anyone could have made. But for major blunders, blame is an important part of finding solutions.

For the most part, I think this has been a good thread. I enjoy the fun posts as much as anyone, but once in a while it's nice to discuss something of substance. And of all the people who have posted here, I only saw one who was disrespectful to another poster (although it's possible that I may have missed some.) I realize that SNM may delete this thread because of that one poster, but I'd like to think that they would otherwise have allowed it to remain.

-Nancy

>I know I'll make someone angry if I say, well Bush is a fascist,
>and even that old fascist Mussolini could get his trains to
>run on time. The Administration has incredible power, why
>aren't we doing this well when it's so imortant? You are
>right though. My primary emotion is frustration because I do
>feel powerless and I am sad and worried and that makes hopeful
>hard to come by. But also, I heard that Americans have
>donated at a rate unheard of even during some of these
>disasters of late and I know there are very many people doing
>many wonderful things to help and it will get sorted out but
>with much loss of life, some which could have been prevented.
>And we learn to deal with it but it's a process, a slow and
>painful one at that!
>

Who cares if someone gets their panties twisted because you criticize the President? We aren't sheep. We don't have to 'just keep it to ourselves' just to keep someone else from getting angry. Hell, Clinton, his wife, his children, his pets and every friend he ever had has been dragged through the mud for one thing or another. Some of it I thought he should have been called on, some of it I thought was just plain stupid.

The day we can't voice our opinions on the person we put in office, is a very, very scary day.

DeeDee

The problem with assigning blame is that all the facts may not be in, and what you are reading in the media as "fact," may not be the full story. Here is another perspective:

Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state’s emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. “Quite frankly, if they’d been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals,” said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

I agree Bunbun, we have to wait for all the facts to come in. At best each of us is only going on what they heard or read...all of it 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc hand information along with our own opinion wrapped up in the mix. Right now everything is he-say or she-say and finger-pointing.

However, assigning blame cannot be swept under the rug. We have to figure out where this failed (and in my "opinion") the failure happened on all levels: local, state, and federal. If we don't find out what really went wrong, then will see this happen again when we face some other natural disaster of this porportion.

Hi Nancy,

I don't think there is anything wrong with looking into what went wrong during this disaster (and that includes, issues such as global warming and the wetlands). Discussing and finding fault with those that were absolutely negligent in their duties is the thing to do. People should have a voice.

My thoughts included the timing of the finger pointing. I felt that it was more important to prioritize. My training as an ER nurse and a critical care nurse (CCRN) may have kicked in. My point is that my efforts were better spent on saving lives. So priority one for me is the relief effort. There is plenty of time to raise the issues after we take care of the people in desperate need.

Right now emotions are high and some people are not thinking as clearly as needed. There are people afixing blame for political reasons. If you punish the wrong person, then you don't fix the problem. I have seen and heard some comments that are just plain wrong. So why not step back for a couple of days until people are safe and the facts are in.

I am not telling anyone else how to feel or scolding anyone who dosen't agree with me. I am merely voicing my thoughts. I don't care about agreeing 100% with any political party because that will never happen. I do what I think is best after listening to all sides of an issue. However, It is best to get the truth and not the spin.

jordan

Catwoman-

I guess if your house was burning down you would sit there and wait for George Bush to come rescue you ---so you could then blame him for taking so long.

First question-- what good is it for Mayor Negrin to declare a mandatory evacuation and then provide absolutely no transportation for the poor people of city to use for transport out? Did you see the picture of all the NOISD buses sitting in the bus yard going unused?

Second question-- how can you in good conscience tell people to go to the superdome, knowing you don't have food or water for them?

Third question- Why is it that the democratic party can sure get busses to the public housing areas on election day but not in alife threatening situations. The local authorites are much more familiar with the flooding problems of the city than the feds are. The local officials have ignored the situation for years.

The point about the Kyoto treaty is just too stupid to address. As the gulf coast (where I live) has actually seen a decrease in hurricanes in the past 70 years, but sorry to confuse you with the facts.

I live in Houston and my city is now taking care of about 100,000 people who would not, or could not leave their homes because the LOCAL government did not act.

And finally, Catwoman, one reason I read the Cathe website is for exercise, nutrition and misc. info from people who are interested in the same. It is not a political website. Thanks for ruining it with your angry left wing rant.

Remember the guidelines please!

Hi All! I have hesitated deleting this post because for the most part I was pleased that everyone was being respectful of each others opinions/views/comments. There are a couple of posts that are making me question this decision. I will kindly ask everyone to once again take a look at forum guideline #3:

BE KIND AND TRY TO AVOID FLAME WARS. If you disagree or decide to inform someone of a mistake, point it out politely. Give people the benefit of the doubt; assume they just don't know any better. And never be arrogant or self-righteous about it. We respect your right to disagree with us or another participant, but always be civil. Personal attacks against any member will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Thank you in advance and have a very happy holiday weekend!

I think that discussing this event is very important. It would be convenient to just blame the feds (and I am sure there will be blame on that level) but it does no good to ignore how government completely lost it on all levels, not just the federal. I understand the frustration since my husband has big extended family and friends there and there isn't a lot of communication going on to know what happened to everyone. We are very grateful his mother left last year.

When Katrina hit NO on Monday there was no flooding. Not until Tuesday did they say the levy had been breached. The levy was breached after the hurricane hit. It was breached on the western side of the city which did not bear the brunt of the storm. This breach is what flooded the Superdome area. There is another breach that inundated Jefferson Parish, which has not received as much attention because it looks like most of those residents left. At this point it is unknown why they breached. They were giving it 12 hours before the city would be inundated. I remember because my husband told me about it with a white face. He knew what a breach meant. When the levy breached, it was not like storm surge (a tidal wave, really) where water rushes in. It pours in slower than that, check the pictures to see that that break on the western side of the city is surprisingly small, relatively speaking (but huge when you are trying to repair, for sure). Okay, 12 hours isn't a big amount of time to get the word out to the people left behind, but was any attempt made to get people out of their houses where they would be trapped for days? We don't know at this point. Was there an emergency plan for when a levy is breached? It doesn't seem like it or if there was one, no one followed it. This is crucial to figure out at some point because if there was inadequate planning or the plan wasn't followed, what are they going to do the next time? I mean, a hurricane could hit there again next week or next month or next year. Of course, it could be another 30 years. By the way, Hurricane Betsy caused extensive flooding in the Harrahan part of NO 30 years ago. My DH's family's house was under 12 feet of water for a week. Fortunately for them they got out, but New Orleans knows this kind of flooding can occur. And it will happen again until we figure out how to stop hurricanes in their track.

NO is a confusing town to get around when it is not under water. Its called the Crescent City because the Mississsippi River makes a big crescent shaped bend in the middle of the city. That means you can be driving a road heading west and then all of a sudden it changes (to avoid the river) and you are going east. This is just one of the many factors that make local leadership in any disaster absolutely crucial. They know the city, they know the layout, they know the people. Yes, support from the feds is crucial, but that local knowledge and leadership is what really makes the difference. Look at Guiliani's leadership in NY and how he got a lot of credit which I believe was well deserved. I hope my town of St. Petersburg is taking note, reviewing emergency plans, etc. because we have a large poor urban population that will need help.

A group of guys from out of state could possibly add to the turmoil if they end up making the situation worse and in turn need to be rescued themselves. How do the locals know a group of armed men aren't looters? Please don't take offense, I am not suggesting that that group of guys had anything but the best intentions. But my DH and I drove through the devestation of Andrew about 3 months after the hurricane hit (we were going to Key West and the route takes you right through Homestead). We were curious and young and stupid and callous, we wanted to see some of the devestation first hand. We got lost. There were no signs anywhere, they were all blown down. A Natl. Guard unit stopped us. They were all armed. Heavily armed. They suggested we leave as soon as possible. This was 3 months later and not such a chaotic time. They obviously did not think we had innocent intentions.

I don't know what the circumstances are for the acceptance of help from other countries. I don't know if the struggle to establish order is the priority and they may feel that having a large number of foriegners who don't know what to do when they get here may be a hindrance. I don't know if they may accept help when some order is established. Identifying the dead will be important, but right now the living must take precedence.

I've heard people suggest that they should have just dumped food and water on the Superdome. But people don't think about what would happen if a bunch of stuff is just dumped amongst thousands of desperate people with no orderly way to hand it out. The ensuing chaos would probably trample hundreds. The most vulnerable i.e., children and the elderely, would most likely be the ones to suffer the most harm. Can you imagine the outrage (and deserved outrage, at that)? Sometimes what seems obvious (frustrating cry of "Why didn't they....!!!) can be the worst thing you do.

Yes, I do think if you can do something, please help. It would be wise to check with relief groups about the best way you can handle this. Instapundit, a blog I rarely visit but he has done a wonderful job cataloging all the relief groups that you can assist:
http://instapundit.com/archives/025235.php It is very frustrating that on a personal level just sending a check can see so small and futile, but I believe every bit helps. My children's school is asking for donations, maybe some of the people here could do that in their local community. I think most everyone here has done something to help, I have a lot of faith in the people of this country.

Yeah, my posts have been too long. I usually don't post too much, I do more lurking because I learn so much from the people here about my passion, fitness. I just thought there was a need for some other perspectives and questions that need to be asked beyond a blanket "Bush's fault, Bush's fault." Don't worry, he'll get his share of the blame. He's the president. But that should not blind us to what we need to do to deal with disasters in our own areas,how we personally prepare and how our governments, on all levels,plan and respond.

RE: Remember the guidelines please!

Thanks, Cathe.

What's scary is that meteorologists say we are now in a cycle of severe hurricanes (after decades of being on the other, mild side of the cycle). So we can possibly expect more of this type of thing. I saw one report where in addition to the Gulf Coast, areas that are "due" for a big hit include the east coast of the US. You have to wonder what sort of evacuation/refugee center plans are in place in areas that don't often get hurricanes. I have no idea where I would go or what I would do if something of this level was coming right at NYC. Walk over the bridges to NJ? In Manhattan, most people don't own a car, and the bus and train stations would be a mob scene. On a positive note, maybe more people will take evacuation warnings seriously now.

RE: Remember the guidelines please!

If they forecasted a really strong hurricane here I would get out no matter what! I live one block from the bay! It's not the ocean, I know, but I wouldn't take any chances!!!! I would drive inland...to where, I don't know, but inland as far as I could go!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.