Anybody else disappointed in the music?

I haven't done STS strength...yet, but for the shock cardio series it only makes sense for the HiiT training to do the music like they do because of how the workout is formatted. You know your time is up when the music stops, so having an 80's song playing, then stopping in the middle wouldn't quite make sense for that particular format. Also, when lifting weights, I find it can be distracting to have music playing that you want to sing to because then you're not focusing on muscle contraction, but singing instead, which isn't as productive. Just my 2 cents.

As far as favorites go, though, right now I am loving the music in Athletic step. It is more up to date and rocking! Same with Drill Max. That's my other fav. Both have strong fast beats, which makes me want to go faster!

Music makes a huge difference for me

I want to be honest: the reason I did not buy the whole STS Strength series (only have series #3 for the legs) is because of the music. I like to be motivated by music. I knew I would not want to continue through a whole series that does not have great music, although I love the pyro legs routines in series #3!

A suggestion for Cathe's future videos: spend the money and get great music. It's worth the investment and trouble. I reach most often for those videos that have fun, catchy tunes (eg. Imax #2 and #3). The Shock series is not bad for music really. In the future, however, I will be investing in videos that have both advanced workouts and great music because it can be found elsewhere.

Want to end with: "I love Cathe F!"

For me a large part of a workout dvd's appeal is the music. A workout has to be better than spectacular for me to buy it, if the music is not "wow" to my taste. I only have MMA Boxing,MMA Fusion and Travel Fit from Shock Cardio and I like the music on all three a lot. I am getting more use than I expected to from these workouts.

Music is an individual taste. I dont think it is even possible for any exercise dvd creators to use music that universally appeals.

Last edited:
I want to be honest: the reason I did not buy the whole STS Strength series (only have series #3 for the legs) is because of the music. I like to be motivated by music. I knew I would not want to continue through a whole series that does not have great music, although I love the pyro legs routines in series #3!
IMO, the music seemed rather 'meh' on the preview videos, but I'm in my second week of STS (yeah, I know, I'm a slow starter! And I'm a pre-orderer!) and I find the music ranging from just fine, good, to sometimes 'great' (except for in not being in synch in some of the warm-ups, but that's easily 'fixable' by just not looking at the screen during those segments).

Also, STS Strength has a music-off option, so you can play your own motivational music.

I've observed the same thing Vee mentioned: music tastes are varied, and what one person thinks is 'great,' another will think is 'meh'. Some of us (me included) like the club-type music with a heavy beat and no recognizable tunes, while others want familiar music they can sing along with. How can anyone find something that both groups think is 'great'?

^^^Kathryn, that is a great point. Everyone has individual tastes when it comes to music. However, I would say that there seems to be a general consensus on exercise videos that have 'great' music. For eg. Kick, Punch and Crunch -- one could argue that more people than not find this workout extremely good and would say the music is 'awesome.' Of course, there's always going to be a song or two that people disagree on. Also, Cathe's videos like Cardio and Weights, Step Blast and even Power Step (? - '80s) music have often been described as having fun, punchy music. The can be said for most of Chalene's Turbo Jam videos --- really good music.

I also wanted to add, that for me, personally, I don't want to have to play my own music during a weight workout. I just want to pop the video in and get to work! LOL! Now, at the gym, it's another story.

I really LOVE the music

Another voice of dissention here --- Me and my husband we really LOVE the music of the new MMA and Hiit DVD.

Well, I'll be the dissenting voice here. I really like the music in STS Strength, and as I was doing MMA KB last week I was thinking how much I liked the music. I do like the oldies music in Imax 2, and also really like the music in LIC, even though it's mostly instrumental. I think it's nice to have a variety of types of music to listen to. I don't know that I want to hear oldies music every day that I work out!

I am in the minority here -- I love the STS and the Shock Cardio music.

I can think of very few Cathe videos where the music was bad. I think the worst music was the original Body Max and Step Works. Other than those two, I love the music (and I have done almost all of Cathe's workouts beginning with her original Step N Motion video).

I have always loved the music and choreography of "Mega Step Blast" - a great workout that never made it to DVD or Digital format.

But I digress -- I like the STS music (Kathryn you are right about the warmups being slightly out of sync with the moves).

STS is some serious training and for that reason I prefer the more orchestrated music.

I LOVE the Shock Cardio Music. There is not one song in the entire series that I dislike. I would love to buy the music from Shock Cardio.

Music is very important to me when working out!

Last edited:
I think the music in the MMA workouts is okay (though not as motivating as in previous KB workouts, like Kick Max--which had GREAT music, but needed to be louder).

On the other hand, the 'rest/recovery' music in one of the HIIT workouts (the one where it sounds like some amateur guitare player strumming some ditty he just wrote, and is repeated with every break) really annoys me. (I don't necessarily like all of the rest of the music, but at least you only hear it for the short intervals and it's not repeated).

I actually like the HIIT break music. I think it enhances the workouts and helps me recover for the next blast.

My DH and I like the SC music!

DH told me he keeps the HiiT display menu running in our DVD player a little longer b/c the music pumps him up for the workout! I don't go that far, but I also really enjoy the music in the HiiTs and I like the music in the other Shock Cardio workouts as well. Because they aren't Top 40 hits, the music won't ever seem dated to me.

I'm okay with the music for STS, but I think the music for HIIt is a lot better. So does my family. One time I was doing the tuck jump interval on Hiit 30/30, and when the music keyed up, dear hubby said "I know that move", just from hearing the music. I also like the song playing during the 8/1 count static lunges from Mesocycle one. I have to say the DVD with the best music has to be Imax 3. I love the "Human Nature" remix and "Tainted Love". My kids sing to that one and the "I'm a Man " song at the end of the step combos from Body Max 2. Cathe's music is great, and it's reason #2 for why I get her DVDs.

I am new to Cathe, but not to home workouts, having done The Firm in its early heyday, FitPrime, Tracie Long, Sharon Twombly and Christi Taylor. Music has always been very important and motivating to me while working out. As a songwriter with many songwriter friends, I would love to have a discussion with your team about possible ways to find new music. Songs don't have to have been hits to be catchy. I live in NYC and there's new music playing in the clubs all the time, by many amazing artists who will probably never have a record deal. Most record song demos because it's not all that expensive and many sound like they've been recorded using mega-bucks. Performers don't always use their songs to get name artists to record them, or even to get themselves record deals. There are many songs that are written and paid for in a "buy-out" situation, where the person buying them out owns the song and copyright outright. Yes, most people are putting their music up on the internet for promotional purposes, but it's quite possible they'd be open to making a few bucks by selling you some of their songs. It's worth a shot and may be a whole new avenue for finding some new, interesting music. Cathe, you may know all about this, but I thought I'd just put in my 2 cents here and try to help. Write me a PM if you're interested and we can talk about it.

All the Best,

Annie

Me too!

I think that would be awesome if we got some originals from relatively unknown artists:)

I would love some original music by people trying to break into the business.

There certainly has to be people just waiting to be discovered and given a break.

I also think original music from new artists would be very refreshing.

music in workout

i love the music in the mma videos. very upbeat. makes me want to kick some butt. usually if i am not too crazy about a workout it doesnt matter what the music is like i wont pull out that workout very much. i like all the music in all the cathe vids but that may be because i enjoy all her vids. the new sts series are great. i love the music. especially the mma workouts. so awesome. just my 2 cents.
t.

I am new to Cathe, but not to home workouts, having done The Firm in its early heyday, FitPrime, Tracie Long, Sharon Twombly and Christi Taylor. Music has always been very important and motivating to me while working out. As a songwriter with many songwriter friends, I would love to have a discussion with your team about possible ways to find new music. Songs don't have to have been hits to be catchy. I live in NYC and there's new music playing in the clubs all the time, by many amazing artists who will probably never have a record deal. Most record song demos because it's not all that expensive and many sound like they've been recorded using mega-bucks. Performers don't always use their songs to get name artists to record them, or even to get themselves record deals. There are many songs that are written and paid for in a "buy-out" situation, where the person buying them out owns the song and copyright outright. Yes, most people are putting their music up on the internet for promotional purposes, but it's quite possible they'd be open to making a few bucks by selling you some of their songs. It's worth a shot and may be a whole new avenue for finding some new, interesting music. Cathe, you may know all about this, but I thought I'd just put in my 2 cents here and try to help. Write me a PM if you're interested and we can talk about it.

All the Best,

Annie

Wow, this is a great idea, to get new and interesting songs for Cathe's workouts that no other instructor would have. Plus it'd give a new venue for the song artist.

Annie, I think Cathe won't see your post buried in this thread. Maybe you could write to her directly, but, I'm not exactly sure how. Possibly you could start another thread on the "Ask Cathe" forum, call customer service and query them, or write to her on her Facebook page. Or do all 3 things! Another idea: you could also go to the Houston Road Trip, and speak to Cathe in person -- she gives you a lot of opportunity to do so, and is genuine and interested and will not brush you or your ideas off. Also, Chris(her business partner) and other administrater types will be there that you could plant this seed of an idea into their brains!

I think it's be great to help a starving song artist!
You could also maybe approach other DVD fitness instructors with your music ideas.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
STS music is great for weight lifting

I've been participating in group exercise and using DVDs for years. It's actually a very nice change to have music for weight lifting in STS that's not tempo/down-beat driven...focus is on the muscles not choreographed sound to keep up with. I work out at 6am and not ready for all that "noise" that early..just the sound of Cathe keeping me on task. Thanks Cathe for the variety invested in this program...only 2 more week of meso cycle 3! Yeah!

Lynn

I love the music in STS & SC! No matter what Cathe picks for the new workouts, it will rock! Cathe never disappoints me:D I love the music in all her DVD's.

Heck, I would buy/love her DVD's if Cathe & crew would sing the songs.Mmm.... that's an idea:eek::p:eek::p

I buy Cathe's workouts just for that ** her workouts** not for the music. As far as STS, I follow the workout cards so the music makes no difference to me. YOu can always have your own on in the background.

I just did HITT 30/30 today and I completely agree with you...it was VERY annoying!!! I understand it is suppose to be a rest/recovery, but the music takes it down too much and it almost feels like we are going into a cool down instead of a rest. I just felt like it was switching my gears too much from high intensity to cool down mode...The overall music in the 30/30 HIIT was motivational and I did like it....but that rest/recovery music is just annoying

My all time favorite workouts are LIC and BM2..I always reach for those 2 because I just love, love , love the music.."Jessie has a friend"...LOL!!

I think the music in the MMA workouts is okay (though not as motivating as in previous KB workouts, like Kick Max--which had GREAT music, but needed to be louder).

On the other hand, the 'rest/recovery' music in one of the HIIT workouts (the one where it sounds like some amateur guitare player strumming some ditty he just wrote, and is repeated with every break) really annoys me. (I don't necessarily like all of the rest of the music, but at least you only hear it for the short intervals and it's not repeated).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.