Anybody else disappointed in the music?

JULSCARVER

Cathlete
I usually really like the music she uses for her videos. However, for STS the music I feel has been generally non-inspirational.

I just did Imax2 last night and Wow the music is so great on that one. I agree with you, I found the music on this series very unmotivational and I never reach for these videos.

Roger that! I miss the old fitness mixes. The music in step moves is pretty good, but I think that's b/c it was actually recognizable (covers of old songs).

I just can't get into the custom, orchestrated music in STS, esp. the strength series. I do like the Cathe "theme" in the beginning of all the workouts, but I find the rest of it to be boring & uninspiring. And I don't normally even notice music in a workout DVD.

I think Cathe should save herself some money & go back to the oldies. JMO. :)

I agree definetly go back to the oldies. The orchestrated stuff is a tad boring. The body blast series has great music. So did the hardcore series. And the music in Imax 2 rocks. :D

Well, I'll be the dissenting voice here. I really like the music in STS Strength, and as I was doing MMA KB last week I was thinking how much I liked the music. I do like the oldies music in Imax 2, and also really like the music in LIC, even though it's mostly instrumental. I think it's nice to have a variety of types of music to listen to. I don't know that I want to hear oldies music every day that I work out!

Oh I love the fitness mixes!! I sing "Kids of America", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" (from LIC I think?) and "Kung Fu Fighting" all the time!! It just gets me pumped up!! I don't think I'll but Cathe's next DVD/series if it's the new music, it just doesn't do anything for me :(

I'm with you all. I not only find the music in Shock Cardio unmotivating, but also flat annoying. I love the fitness mixes and the oldies, like in Step, Jump, Pump. Sometimes I do that DVD just for the music.

The music in STS is what caused me to cancel my pre-order! I went to a Cathe Roadtrip and they showed a finished section of STS, and I immediately HATED the music. I knew I'd never work out to it.

I also recognized it as a type of canned music software program ....my husband is a videographer, and he has this software that fills in background music. You telll it the length, when to increase tempo, fade in/out etc. It's great in small doses for video, but not for a whole hour :(

I agree, I love the pop music better!

STS Music

We have never used a canned music software program to make any of our music for any of our videos. All of the music in STS was custom created by 16 nationally known music composers who work for companies like Universal Studios and Disney. The sound track in STS is probably the most expensive soundtrack ever used in a fitness video and it took 6 months to write, produce and score the music in STS. The music was then mixed by NFL Films who happens to have some of the best and most sophisticated audio mixing equipment and technicians in the recording and film industry.

When you were at the road trip you listened to STS videos that had not had their music levels set or synced, so there is really no way to fairly judge the music until this is done. STS is a weight training video in which movements are not done to music as the body slows down as muscles fatigue. Since people will fail at different points in every exercise there is also no way to sync music to every person as their lifting speeds are all different. Pop music in a video like STS simply would not work and would be distracting since each set is usually less than a minute and this would not give the song enough time to build and the strong beat would be distracting since you're not lifting to a beat.

The approach to the music we used in STS was to have composers watch the finished video and then write songs that captured the energy of each exercise and then backed off during the breaks between each set. This when combined with some of the worlds best videographer's (NFL Films) produced what we feel is our best piece of work to date. I realize music taste vary wildly, but I think you would have enjoyed STS.

Music in Videos

I agree definetly go back to the oldies. The orchestrated stuff is a tad boring. The body blast series has great music. So did the hardcore series. And the music in Imax 2 rocks. :D

I’m sure most of you don’t realize how music licensing for video works, but you can’t just purchase any song you like. If we could select any “song” for a video we could make some really rocking soundtracks, but this can’t be done legally or in a timely manner. We’ve exhausted most of the available music from video catalogs a long time ago. We too think our best music was probably used in the Imax series, but there is just not a lot of music like this being made available and released for video nowadays. If there was we would buy it!

Artist in the past would strike deals with producers to license their music for video because they needed different avenues to promote their music. Today, artists use the internet and iTunes to promote and sell their music and have lost interest in licensing their music for video. This makes it harder for us to find great music and limits us in selecting the type of video music we can legally use. There is nobody in our industry spending more money than we are on music. Unfortunately, there is just not as wide of a selection as there used to be.

Hmmmmmmm...... I'm going to chime in here.

The music in STS strength - I can take it or leave it. Isn't awful, but it doesn't knock my socks off, either. I can say I think it has too much bass in some parts, especially the in some of the abs sections. Med ball, especially, if I remember correctly. It rattles the speakers like nothing else. This is also the big, booming, movie watching tv, and all the explosions in the world don't vibrate like the STS bass does. I think it's a bit of a lower frequency. My ears don't particularly like it though. Feels like I'm driving down the road next to a trunk rattling thumpity-thumpity car. Other than that, I really don't hear the music in the strength DVDs. I normally don't in other lifting DVDs, either. I just tune it out. I'm lifting and changing weights, and cursing at Cathe :eek::p;).

In the cardio series, I like the music. I agree, some of the older series had better music for cardio, but this isn't bad. I like "Blue Monday" (how does it feel, when you treat me like you do? It feels like you're going to kill me, thanks:D) and there is one song that I know, but just can't place. I think it is from a TV show or movie. Sounds kind of James Bond-ish. DH recognizes, but can't quite get it, either. I do like having music I know, bc then I can sing along. DH however is not on board with that, because I sound like a cross between a dying moo cow and a gremlin in a blender. Oh well, he loves me anyway. In cardio, I find the music much more important. If there is a song I don't like, I can just tune it out. If there is a whole string of them, then that is difficult. The only Cathe soundtrack I really don't like is Step Blast. Don't like that workout, either. I think I'm the only one on that one. Some of the others have a song here or there I could do without, but I just live with it.

You can't please all the people all of the time.

Nan

I think the music in the MMA workouts is okay (though not as motivating as in previous KB workouts, like Kick Max--which had GREAT music, but needed to be louder).

On the other hand, the 'rest/recovery' music in one of the HIIT workouts (the one where it sounds like some amateur guitare player strumming some ditty he just wrote, and is repeated with every break) really annoys me. (I don't necessarily like all of the rest of the music, but at least you only hear it for the short intervals and it's not repeated).

Deleted Threads

[FONT=&quot]Hi Everyone! I just want to let you know that we have deleted a couple of posts in this thread because we found them to be rude and non-constructive comments that were written to be hurtful rather than helpful . We have always prided ourselves in having/providing a website that was welcoming, encouraging, educational, positive and helpful. We love to see you interact with us and one another in this manner. We also realize that people will also have opinions that differ from one another and have never silenced you from being able to express that opinion as long as it was done tactfully, constructively, and with the intention of being helpful. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lately we have noticed a few posters taking advantage of this policy and stating comments in a very rude and hurtful way. When we see this, we will delete your post immediately. Unfortunately, we are seeing this more than we care to lately on our forums and for this reason we are going to be cracking down harder than we have in the past and deleting posts that we find inappropriate, negative, rude and hurtful. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We love a friendly positive environment, one that makes people happy to come to our site to learn, share and grow from one another. If your purpose is to come on the site to be hurtful, rude, negative or to embarrass us or any one of our forum members your post will automatically be deleted. You also may be sent a warning via email as to why you were deleted. If the behavior continues we will have to ban you from our site. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I really hate to have to sound this harsh but this negative behavior sours our whole community and goes against what we stand for. While on the topic of deleting threads, we have also noticed an awful lot of forum members using our site as a way to promote other products where a profit stands to be made for the forum poster. We do not allow any form of solicitation on our site either overtly or covertly. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We would like to once again kindly remind everyone that we don’t allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used for “customers” who want to openly and honestly discuss other fitness DVDs or products, not to be used by other companies to promote or sell their products. Though this has been a problem for many years, lately it seems to once again have greatly expanded. If you work for another fitness company either directly or indirectly or are an internet marketer... we ask that you not post on our site about any products you sell. Customers on our site need to know that discussions about fitness DVDs and products are honest and from fellow customers, not from sellers that appear and seem to be customers. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Thank you everyone for understanding our position and working together with us as a community to continue to make CathedotCom the warm, friendly, positive environment we have always strived to provide and maintain. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]---

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hi Everyone! I just want to let you know that we have deleted a couple of posts in this thread because we found them to be rude and non-constructive comments that were written to be hurtful rather than helpful . We have always prided ourselves in having/providing a website that was welcoming, encouraging, educational, positive and helpful. We love to see you interact with us and one another in this manner. We also realize that people will also have opinions that differ from one another and have never silenced you from being able to express that opinion as long as it was done tactfully, constructively, and with the intention of being helpful. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lately we have noticed a few posters taking advantage of this policy and stating comments in a very rude and hurtful way. When we see this, we will delete your post immediately. Unfortunately, we are seeing this more than we care to lately on our forums and for this reason we are going to be cracking down harder than we have in the past and deleting posts that we find inappropriate, negative, rude and hurtful. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We love a friendly positive environment, one that makes people happy to come to our site to learn, share and grow from one another. If your purpose is to come on the site to be hurtful, rude, negative or to embarrass us or any one of our forum members your post will automatically be deleted. You also may be sent a warning via email as to why you were deleted. If the behavior continues we will have to ban you from our site. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I really hate to have to sound this harsh but this negative behavior sours our whole community and goes against what we stand for. While on the topic of deleting threads, we have also noticed an awful lot of forum members using our site as a way to promote other products where a profit stands to be made for the forum poster. We do not allow any form of solicitation on our site either overtly or covertly. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We would like to once again kindly remind everyone that we don’t allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used for “customers” who want to openly and honestly discuss other fitness DVDs or products, not to be used by other companies to promote or sell their products. Though this has been a problem for many years, lately it seems to once again have greatly expanded. If you work for another fitness company either directly or indirectly or are an internet marketer... we ask that you not post on our site about any products you sell. Customers on our site need to know that discussions about fitness DVDs and products are honest and from fellow customers, not from sellers that appear and seem to be customers. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Thank you everyone for understanding our position and working together with us as a community to continue to make CathedotCom the warm, friendly, positive environment we have always strived to provide and maintain. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]---

[/FONT]

My posts were deleted and, in addition to saying I didn't like the music in STS strength, I stated that I did like the workouts and that I loved the music in Bodymax 2.

I only mentioned another instructor's music AFTER Chris stated that SNM spends more on music than anyone else in the industry. I wasn't trying to sell any products - just pointing out that I thought the other instructor's music was good without spending the money that Chris was saying your company does. No solicitation involved whatsoever.

Erica

On the other hand, the 'rest/recovery' music in one of the HIIT workouts (the one where it sounds like some amateur guitare player strumming some ditty he just wrote, and is repeated with every break) really annoys me. (I don't necessarily like all of the rest of the music, but at least you only hear it for the short intervals and it's not repeated).

My friend uses that guitar part as intro music to her Youtube videos so I recognized that piece of song right away. The instrumental, in it's entirety, sounds pretty good though.

I'm another one who didn't care for the STS Strength music. I use the music off option all the time and just use my iPod to provide the good, rockin', motivating music I like to workout to.

I don't have that series but about music, I used Wii My fitness Coach (original) for about 3 months prior to starting Cathe workouts, it has a selelection of 8 music styles, I used Eighties, Techno & House options the most, it's not top forty stuff, well maybe eighties was, but the others were not, and I never tired of it. plays in a loop, so depending how long you work out, you may here each song once or twice.

If I wanted to find interesting music that people don't tire of, that has interesting melodies, and various tempos, I'd tune into the nearest college radio stations, always interesting things played (people love the stuff they listened to at that age, remember it forever) I made my own mixes on a cassette player way back in the mid eighties, still one of my favorite mixes of alternative rock. Maybe SNM, you could look in some new places, like where does Target find their seasonally hip tunes?

Just a thought :)

Linda

We have never used a canned music software program to make any of our music for any of our videos. All of the music in STS was custom created by 16 nationally known music composers who work for companies like Universal Studios and Disney. The sound track in STS is probably the most expensive soundtrack ever used in a fitness video and it took 6 months to write, produce and score the music in STS. The music was then mixed by NFL Films who happens to have some of the best and most sophisticated audio mixing equipment and technicians in the recording and film industry.

When you were at the road trip you listened to STS videos that had not had their music levels set or synced, so there is really no way to fairly judge the music until this is done. STS is a weight training video in which movements are not done to music as the body slows down as muscles fatigue. Since people will fail at different points in every exercise there is also no way to sync music to every person as their lifting speeds are all different. Pop music in a video like STS simply would not work and would be distracting since each set is usually less than a minute and this would not give the song enough time to build and the strong beat would be distracting since you're not lifting to a beat.

The approach to the music we used in STS was to have composers watch the finished video and then write songs that captured the energy of each exercise and then backed off during the breaks between each set. This when combined with some of the worlds best videographer's (NFL Films) produced what we feel is our best piece of work to date. I realize music taste vary wildly, but I think you would have enjoyed STS.

I actually thought it was a genius approach to music in STS and I do love how it builds as the intensity increases during the workouts :)
Sometimes I'm not pushing as hard as I should and the music makes me chuckle when I realize I'm slacking . . . lol
You are completely right - it would be annoying to just get into a pop song then have it go to a "breather" moment song - GREAT WORK on STS and thanks for all y'all do :)

Tami :)

Vocals

I'm another one who didn't care for the STS Strength music. I use the music off option all the time and just use my iPod to provide the good, rockin', motivating music I like to workout to.

Yes, the vocals only option in STS makes it possible so you can always use any music you like since you're not lifting to a beat. Glad to know some of you are using this.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.