Already my least favorite?

NY25

Cathlete
Wow, after reading today's blog post, High Intensity Step is already my least favorite among the new series. The step sequences are not having any breakdowns whatsoever? You'll just call out moves from previous workouts. Gee, thanks - sounds like "fun." I can just see myself breaking my ankle as I try to figure out the move you describe in segment 3. yikes!!
PLEASE - if you won't break down the moves, can you include a breakdown chapter - even if pulled from a previous video or something for those of us who don't own your previous step workouts? I really shouldn't have to (and won't) spend hundreds of dollars on other workouts in order to do this one.
No breakdowns anywhere on the CD only increases the risk of injury to your users who may not be as familiar with those moves. I know you don't intend for that. And I know this request has been made repeatedly by other users in the past. That's why I go to you in the first place - superior product.
Please, please, please respect those of us that don't live for step but would like to try to work it in to our regimens.
As of now, I'm holding out for the kickbox and bootcamp.

(flame away ladies!!)

Not Cathe Here:
No flames just VERY CONFUSED!
I read nothing that says there are no breakdowns....

"This section starts with STEP COMBO #1. You will quickly build up a 32 count combination and run through it a few times.
Next, STEP COMBO #2. This is my favorite of the three combo’s. A great mixture of easy-to-learn-fun-to-do moves. It borrows my familiar ricochet move and literally puts a new twist on it. Then you’ll learn a new “big scoop, little skuddle”
STEP COMBO #3, is your thinker combo. You have to have one that makes your rise to the challenge, right? Don’t give up on it because is soooo much fun once you have it. Tricky? Yes!"

ETA: I THINK ITS THE WARM UP ONLY THAT SHE SAYS "JUST CALLS THEM OUT"

The very active WARM UP and STEP CARDIO segment comes in right around 30 minutes in length, and once completed, you’ll definitely be amazed at how much you accomplished in that amount of time.
You’ll start stepping immediately with familiar moves to allow you to flow freely as you raise your body’s core temperature. Since every move in the warm up is one you have most likely done in other step workouts, I just call them out with no breakdown and even have a few SUBTLE directional changes to keep you interested but not overwhelmed.

I think you're being a little premature based off of a brief description of a workout that has not even been released yet.
The only part she said there were no breakdowns for was the warm up.

It seems like this is a particularly sensitive area for you.
I'm not advanced at step by any stretch, which is why I watch the workout all the way through (and will for this one too) before I do it. If there are areas that are confusing, I'll go over them slowly to try to figure it out.

Just a suggestion, rather than getting upset before even giving it a chance.

For safety reasons, Cathe always says, at the beginning of her step workouts (and even all her workouts), to watch at least once through to get some of the more difficult moves down. If you are at all concerned about injuring yourself with this workout, I would highly suggest doing this. I also didn't see Cathe say she wasn't going to break down the step routines (except possibly the warm up, which will consist of familiar moves).

I for one appreciate the workouts that don't have a lot of break-downs as they stay more challenging and "fresh" over a long period of time.

You never know, this might become your favorite step workout. :)

Becky

Perhaps I did misread it. And I do hope you are all right. Yes, it is sensitive, because she doesn't do a lot of breakdowns or cueing or offer a "breakdown chapter" on other workouts, which I find VERY frustrating, particularly becuase I know I'm not the only one who would like this feature. I do always watch the workouts first, at least once. Worst case, I just don't do this cardio segment - I'm definitely looking forward to the weights segment. And, like I said - there is always bootcamp and kickbox. fun!

I disagree with the original poster. I find it boring and monotonous when an instructor breaks down the moves too many times. Having done Cathe's workouts for several years, I quit working out with other instructors' dvd's because they "broke down" the steps too many times. And recently I purchased a new dvd by another instructor (only because I have virtually all of Cathe's), and this workout is going to be something I have to watch a few times, try out in sections, etc.., just like Cathe's were when I first got them. To me, that's what makes a workout challenging--when I have to "think" about what is coming next. And there are no Cathe workouts that I find impossible to do. It's just that most of us can't just watch it for the first time and get each step perfectly. But it does give you something to work for. I'd say wait and try the workouts a few times, 'cause they'll surely be worth the effort!

a - as far as "not there yet" thanks, but I've been working out for 20 years and I've had 12 years of dance training; (blame the user, of course)
also, I think some of you are misunderstanding me - I'm not asking for a change to the workout itself - I'm asking for....A SEPARATE CHAPTER....one you can choose to view or not
Yes, these workouts are for the advanced user, but any business is predicated upon increasing the client base - existing customers are great, but new customers are necessary to sustain and grow a business - one necessarily must think of both sets of people, hence a separate chapter to accomodate BOTH sets of users

I don't think being a 'new user' requires a lot of breakdown. I know I didn't when I first started with Cathe. That being said, I don't think your request is unreasonable - just your attitude.

Carolyn

With all of Cathe step DVDs I first view the DVD and then attemp to do the DVD WITHOUT a step. I Gradually add a 4in then 6in step to the routine.

>That being
>said, I don't think your request is unreasonable - just your
>attitude.

There's the problem! The workouts are not even complete and there's a post complaining about them with that kind of tone? A request is one thing but a gripe with a nasty tone is another.

NY25,
You came to the right place to voice your concern. I respect that you went straight to Cathe's forum and addressed Cathe, asking for what you want.

I, personally, don't care for a lot of breakdown anymore either, and find that the longer I workout the more I enjoy less breakdown and more complex choreography. I know of another instructor who does the preview chapter you are requesting and it does help a lot. I don't care either way b/c I do like the challenge of learning a new workout. Hopefully you will get what you ask for!

I again commend you that you came directly to the source. We are allowed to say how much we are looking forward to the workouts and how good they look before we have them in our hot little hands, so you should be able to voice your concerns and fears that you may not like the workout(s) based on the description.
Angela:7

Just a suggestion - On my player and I suppose others as well, there might be a way to play your dvd at a slower speed until you have learned to do all of the moves. I use this method and it works for me. Good Luck and Relax!

Thanks for your support Angela!! (I was expecting the flames)

I did say please four times, and noted that I find her products superior, looking forward to kickboxing and bootcamp and all that, but .....

At least I'm not complaining about something that really matters, like minor grammar, "bomb divers" (instead of diver bombers) or her new outfits, right?

You shouldn't have to expect flames with the thoughtful suggestions you offer. What I find disappointing about your post is what comes off as unwarranted sarcasm <Gee, thanks - sounds like "fun."> I think you'll find a bit of common courtesy will more often than not ward off any flames and actually create some constructive discussions.

Cueing is going to be a major factor here. If there is no break down, the cueing needs to be spot on so that no one gets lost, or ends up tripping over their step or something while trying to change direction at the last moment. We will have to wait and see. :)

DeeDee

Well said Beavs. Its hard sometimes to come across the way you want to in writing, but I have noticed a trend on the boards lately, a little too bitchy for my tastes.
Voicing an opinion in a constructive manner is one thing, like Beavs said it invites constructive discussions. But coming off as sarcastic or just plain rude is another.:)

Personally, I am grateful we all have such great workouts available to us, and the more you do a workout, the better you get at it. Not every workout though, is for everybody, so do your best and forget the rest, right?:)

>(blame the user, of course)
>

I work in IT...that's what I always do.
:p

I know I feel a tad left out when Cathe says "You know this" and I, new to her step videos, don't. :p

I just re-wind and re-wind and tackle part by part until I get somthing. However, this requires time, as I can't count it as my workout with all the breaks and pauses. :(

I am not choreography-gifted. Still, it's worth the effort.

I think a break-down chapter might be helpful.

Still, I can't agree that I'm soured on this video just by reading the description! (intimidated, yes).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.