A little bit about ourselves..

Wow, I love reading about all of you!

My turn:

I'm 42, turning 43 on December 22nd. I'm on my second (and hopefully last!) marriage to my sweetie of 4 years. We have 3 sons combined (second marriage for both of us) and a wonderful 3 year old German shepherd named Zak.

I work full-time as an analyst in the Finance area of a large pharmaceutical company. Lots of number-crunching...

I've been working out for over 20 years, but only found Cathe a few years ago. I love to weightlift as I'm fairly tiny and smallboned and am always trying to bulk up (don't be jealous...it's from having colitis that I'm so tiny!). I find during my colitis flare-ups that I do more Pilates workouts rather than Cathe stuff, but during my remissions I'm full-blown Cathe all the way!

I love to do step, kickboxing, weightlifting, Pilates and yoga. The more diversified for me, the better. I also have a Stairmaster and am planning to buy a treadmill in the next year or so.

We're also on the lookout to add another dog to our family, and are searching for a Yorkshire terrier.

Guess that's about it for me...

Terri

Julie, would love to talk about art some time. I think it is great that you won, you should feel so good! One thing I've learned, to take rejections with a grain of salt. I remember entering one of my silk screen prints in a show, and looking around at th entries and thinking, I'm a shoo-in for a prize. I ended up getting rejected from the show! Boy was that an ego deflater. It is so subjective. I try to remember that I am doing this for me, and that it is an expression of what's inside, that I am learning to put to paper, and whatever else happens to my creation afterwards is fine, but way less important.

Susan

This post is getting bigger all the time.We chat to each other every day so I thought it would be a good idea.Everytime I read someone elses post I feel as if I should add more.
I have been working out with Cathe for about 4 yrs.I always did aerobics in highschool but was never into any sports.Now looking back to highdchool sometimes I wonder if I may have had a eating disorder.I use to eat 1 slice of toast with cheese whiz every morning, nothing else till about 5 o'clock, then I would eat whatever mom made.Do aerobics and go to bed early so that wouldn't have to eat anything else for the day.When I tols my husband this he said" so in other words you had a eating disorder?"And I got to thinking, may be I did....
I have 2 brothers,1 sister and a half sister.My parents have been married for over 30 years.We are a close family.My sister is my bestfriend and she bought me my first Cathe tape.(Bodymax)
I started eating more "normal" when I got pregnat at age 16..almost 17.Had her March 22,96, when back to grade 12 2 weeks later, breastfeed her till she was 8 monthes.I use to go to the bathroom(my private bathroom) ever dinner time to pump off my milk,give it to the secretary who would put it in the fridge and before I would go home in the afternoon I would go up and get my milk and that would keep her happy for the next day.
I got out of excercise while pregnate and didn't get back into it until she was 2.While I was off, I packed on 15 pounds, in collage,then started running and Cathe,then I lost it.
Once again I will shut up.
Lori
This as been fun.

Lori – what a nice thread! I love reading about the people around here. ;-)

My name is Liz or Lizzie (from Elizabeth), depending on whom I’m talking to. I am 28 years old and live just outside Philly, PA. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, however, and moved out here for my job after graduating from NIU ~ 3.5 years ago. I received my BS in Math and my MS in Statistics and work as a statistician for a pharmaceutical marketing research company. I’m not married but have been with my boyfriend for over 2 years now. I met Kevin when he and 4 of his friends became my next door neighbors. Oh the long distance relationships are painful, LOL! :) He is not my neighbor anymore but still my guy. More importantly, he accepts my addiction to Cathe and listens while I ramble about the latest workout I conquered or how I increased my weight for squats and lunges in PS.

Some more little factoids to help put you all to sleep…I enjoy refinishing wood furniture and have a few pieces at home that I’m very proud of. I read when I can find the time and I am a dedicated Buffy watcher. I have 2 kitties who have been with me for 5 years now, Frankie and Dank (otherwise known as “F and D”).

It has only been in the last 2 years that I have been exercising on a permanent and regular basis. Before that I was very sporadic in my workout patterns. I lost about 25 lbs from my heaviest weight ever and feel very good physically. In the last year I discovered Cathe and what a difference she makes! I now lift heavy at least 3 times per week and love what it does for me. Cathe and all of you on these boards have been a tremendous inspiration for me to keep the healthy habits going. Like others have said, I have learned SO MUCH from you guys even just by lurking. I feel like a sponge as I don’t have very much knowledge to contribute but I am always learning. So thanks to everyone who makes this a great place to visit and share in our love of the Good Pain!

Liz

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-02 AT 12:26PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi can I add I love the fact that everyone is so sporty. I'm not I was put off years ago at school and even when I lost a lot of weight I wouldn't play sport with friends. So its good to hear of all of you out there.

I just wanted to add that I really have enjoyed working out with Cathe she is a real inspiration for me not just in what she does as an aerobic instructor but her life beyond that. I find it is important to remember life beyond fitness family friends, I have a lot of postives in my life at the moment and some great friends both here at the forum and in my life.

My goal once I get my weight down is to get more into pilates, and get my life more into focus (I was thinking about getting into counselling or writing??).

I love all the bits everyone is providing it makes it easier to build up a picture of you all.

I thought also I would add that I have just today lost one of my baby teeth it almost fell into my lunch.

Babs

P.s. My real name is Barbara.

Hi,

My real name is Rose, I'm 36, and I've been married for almost 10 years. We have one daughter, Amy, who was adopted from China. We are currently awaiting word on our second adoption, also from China. Should hear something by Christmas!!

For the record, I always hated gym and it still amazes me that I want to sweat now :). Cathe actually helps me save money - I don't think there are many videos out there as good as hers, so I don't buy much.

I am currently a SAHM, but before that was a newspaper reporter. My hobbies are working out, organizing/homemaking, and music. I also play guitar and sing at our church.

My favorite TV shows are Buffy, Alias, The Practice, Twilight Zone and Everybody Loves Raymond.

This is a great idea...It brought me out of lurkdom.

I am 41 years old with a 22 year old "rock star" son, 13 year old step son and a 10 year old "Nintendo head" son. I come from a family of 15 (all the same parents) and grew up in rural southwestern Minnesota and eastern South Dakota. I now live in the Chippewa Valley in Wisconsin but I am a Minnesotan in my heart. I absolutely love the Minneapolis skyline and had the pleasure of viewing the most gorgeous rainbow arcing from the Metrodome all the way to St Paul just last month.

I went to college and a social worker but became totally disillusioned then went on to ultrasound and am currently in the medical field with the Baxter companies. I love my job and enjoy working with college age kids. They are so full of hope and excitement at their possible futures and have no bitterness yet.

I started exercising with Susan Harris via the Firm video in 1986 or 1987. Since then I have added power yoga and also discovered Cathe who has recently taught me the meaning of humility. I purchased Power Hour and love it so much I pre-ordered the Split Pyramid DVD.

I turned 40 in Paris and cannot wait to return. I don't know why I waited so long to travel in Europe but I now plan to travel overseas at least every 2 years. I have finally found it is more fun to live in the present that to always plan for the future.

I have 3 cats (some by default). One follows me everywhere and has no catitude, one is a cuddly little ragdoll who loves to loll in our arms and one is like Mike Tyson, huge and black, but with the puniest, most ridiculous little "mew" for his massive size. My sister brings her bloodhounds when she visits and "Tyson" looks at them with utter boredom as they try to engage him in play.

Thanks for having a great forum. You are great.

love this thread! :)

Gee, I tell all my d--n business so much here what more can I tell? :) Let's see....

Most of you know my weight loss story, 375lbs (4/23/01) down to 168lbs (10/14/02) thanks to Cathe and this forum. I'm 38, turning 39 on Dec.15th (guess I'll need to re-evaluate my log in handle soon!), I have 2 wonderful daughters, Robyn (21) and Sara (17) from my first marriage (which bombed after 6 years), but I am very happily married to my 2nd husband, James, and will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary this coming Feb 8, 2003.
I have a very happy life here in Fayetteville, PA (small town) but grew up originally in Washington, DC. I have been at home since losing my job last March 2001, and have concentrated solely on my health and getting fit since April 2001 (thanks to a very loving and supportive hubby.)
As I narrow in on my final pounds, I'm in the process of deciding what to do with the rest of my life (work wise), I worked in juvenile placement for so many years, it was second nature, but now I'd like to work in the fitness field helping others to achieve their weight loss goals, but I'm not sure in what capacity? Decisions, decisions, whatever I do will mean classes/courses, so I'm not sure where my heart is, i just know I want to make an impact on the lives of those most needy, the 100+lbs to lose group. (Suggestions welcomed folks!)
Well, that's me in the nut shell!

other areas of interest: varied musical taste, LOVE old movies and musicals, no pets, can't do plants (cursed with a black thumb, I kill cactus and spider plants!), love shopping now!, hooked on fitness reading/literature, addicted to Cathe forum (but you know this!), obsessed with McDonalds since childhood, hate scary movies, love Lifetime TV and Court TV, looking forward to being a grandmother some day (while I'm young and fit enough to be the coolest grandma on the block~not to mention the hottest!)

5"4" tall, 168lbs (as of Monday), longer than shoulder length hair (reddish blonde this month/brown originally), freckles, and as my hubby affectionately calls it, "caramel colored skin!" Basically, I'm a light skinned Af-Am, he just has a poetic nature!

That's it folks,
Donna

It's really good to read more about people's life on this thread: I was beginning to think everybody was just Cathe robots working out every day :).

I am interested to find out that Rose has adopted a baby from China and would like to know how long it took you to go through with the adoption. Did you go to China and saw her?

I am 30 this year. I live in London and work (or trying to work) as an IT consultant. My work is so monotonous at the moment because of the recession. I have started working out a lot more since I started working in an office because I am paranoid about gaining weight and I like to eat. My job is very still, I sit in front of the computer all day and the only muscles I move are my fingers. I feel that I cannot afford not to work out. I started with easy tapes like Cindy Crawford, Cher, Jane Fonda but now I do mostly Cathe. I am also trying to include more running to get really fit!

I enjoy fitness not merely for weight control but for the fact I feel a lot stronger for it. I have a fantasy that I could kick arse like Kelly Hu or Michelle Yeo. I have always liked the image of a strong and powerful woman doing kung fu and I wish I could be like them. I am even thinking of joining a kung fu class.

Yen

Hi there...

I am 35 years old...married 15 years on Jan 5...I have 3 children: A six year old biological son, a six year old daughter adopted from China at the age of 4.9 years, and a 7 month old son (on the 20th). My husband and I were both in the military. We met in Fort Huachuca, Arizona and married 10 months later...I love exercising and running. I love to read, cook, bake and keep my house clean. My hubby and I are Sunday School teachers at our church. I teach children 5 to 10 years old he teaches teenager boys. We are very involved in our church and with our children. I am a corporate legal assistant in a medium-sized law firm. I never really liked gyms and I enjoy waking up REALLY early to get my personal time in exercising (among other things like laundry, cooking...). I take care of "me" so that I can take care of "them." :)

And like most of you, I am considered a kind of "nut" when it comes to exercising by most family members and friends!

They just don't understand why I love to exercise and much less how I can do it with 3 kids, the house, a full time job, etc.

My mother's side of the family tends to be obese and carries the Diabetes gene. I cannot afford to play russian rulet with THAT threat! I am 5'4" and weight approx. 139 after baby. I just want to keep healthy and functionally fit past my grandmother years.

Blessings from Our Home to Yours, Runathon

My turn,

Hi I am Lynne and I turned 36 TODAY!!!!!

I have been married for 12 years but have been with my Husband for 18 years. i have 2 girls, 11 and 9, 5 cats and one dog.

I am a RN (UK qualification) and I nursed for 16 years before moving to Saudi with my hubby who is here working for the RSAF. I am a keen quilter and I am also qualified in Gym instruction, personal training and sports therapy!

I have PCOS which resulted in Hyperinsulemia and caused me to gain 40lbs last year despite working out, I was about to throw myself off the nearest bridge, but got treatment and am now waiting for this to happen!!!

I did frequent this forum about a year ago, but had toooo many study commitments, but that's all finished now!

Lynne

Hi,

My name is Sarah (aka Sarah Jane, hence the sjane). I'm 23 and live in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I've been married for almost 4 months to someone I've known since the third grade. :) We didn't date until we were in college (3 hours apart... that wasn't a lot of fun). We have a spoiled rotten cat, Charlie. She is insane and very funny.

I'm finishing up a bachelor's degree in English, with 18 credits this semester and next, should be graduating in May. Ray is a business teacher, splitting his time between a middle school & high school.

I've been stepping and lifting on and off since I was 14. I started running some right before I started college. I discovered Cathe not quite a year ago. Her weight tapes have made a HUGE difference in my upper body. I was always a lot thinner on top than bottom, but now I have muscles! :D I've also conviced my husband to join me when I do PS or S&H. We really enjoy lifting together.

Other stuff: I'm into punk music, stamping & other crafty stuff, and I've been a vegetarian for almost 5 years. I also spend way too much time on the internet and watching the Simpsons. :)

Sarah

Joanne,

I have not done White Bear Days. The painting that just won the award is hanging at Century College Theater building until October 25. It's the Lake Country Pastel Society Exhibit. I'm sure you're just "dying" to get over there (not!).

Your a city clerk! Holy cow, I can hardly handle my own home. Maybe we can hit Annette's class on a Saturday sometime.;-)

Julie

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-02 AT 01:16PM (Est)[/font][p]I'm 36, married (just had our year anniversary:) ). We don't have any children together, but I have two step-sons (7 and 9) from my husband's first marriage who unfortunately live out state. I'm an Executive Assistant and live in Northern California. I have a BS in nutrition.

My hobbies are, of course, CATHE <G>, soccer, dogs...anything dogs...I show, hunt, train in agility and obedience. I have a female Vizsla, a male Doberman and a female lab mix. I'm also involved in rescue work for the dogs.

I've worked out and been active all my life. Played competitive soccer and competed in gymnastics since I was 9. Gave both up years ago though and have enjoyed lifting weights and doing cardio the last 10 years or so. Right now, I'm following a BFL plan.

Colleen

Actually, whenever I tell anyone we're from Green Bay, I usually add the disclaimer that I hate football. :) When I was growing up - NOT in GB - I watched the Packers with my dad and was sort of a fan, but after living here... Well, it's pretty much insane during football season. Definite overkill. If I HAD to pick a team, it'd still be the Pack, but I try to avoid football. And Ray's been a '49er fan since the Joe Montana days.

Hello, everyone! I am Bobbi and I am turning forty in December. I am looking forward to it. I'll be celebrating my 14th annniversry on the 21st of October. I have two daughters, 13 and 12 and a 5 year old son. Lori, my daughters are so awesome with Sam (who was an unexpected delight). They were 7 and 8 and they just dote on him like little mothers! they are wonderful helpers too.

In the early 90's, I could have been the poster child for how NOT to deal with life's stresses. Or how to make them worse. I overcame a drinking problem in '92 and quit smoking in '93 through a University of Arizona patch study to discover the effects of high doses of nicotine on heavy smokers. Didn't know it at the time but I got the 42 mg patches! It was the leader of our support group who turned me on to running and I fell in love with it!

I did the Firm for awhile then I discovered Cathe through Collage and she never fails to amaze me.

I have had eating disorders and suffered from depression, but exercise has been amazing in overcoming them and helping me to turn a somewhat compulsive nature to more positive methods of living. These forums are wonderful and it is so great to get to know a little more about all you because you teach me, inspire me and make me laugh so often. I just love it here!

http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

Hi! Nice to know about everyone here!

Family: I am 24 years old. I have two daughters. One is 16 months old; the other one is 33 months old. I am a housewife. My husband and me are from Puerto Rico. He is in the Army. We have been married for four years and we have been living in San Antonio, Texas, for three years. I'm going to move to Puerto Rico in December and will stay there for about a year while my husband is in another country.

Fitness: I started exercising after I had my first baby and haven't been consistent. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to start working out with Cathe videos yet because just when I was starting out I had to pack most of my stuff to send it to Puerto Rico, so it will be there when I get there. I only did S&H once. During the next year I will make arrangements so I can have enough time to exercise. Someone will take care of the babies for a few hours during weekdays or something like that. I still don't know if I'm going to do Cathe or go to a gym that has childcare. I love weight lifting and would like to take bodybuilding seriously. Let’s see what happens. I believe that I am an ectomorph. I’m currently at 123 pounds. I’m 5’1.5”.

Education and interests: I started College right after I graduated from High School. I was studying architecture but dropped out because of a combination of factors, but mostly because of learning difficulties. I will go back to school after that year in Puerto Rico. What I plan to take is a combination of philosophy, mathematics, and architecture; probably a double major in philosophy and mathematics, and then a master degree in architecture. BUT if the Army send us to a place where I can study animation, then I will postpone the other, and study animation, which I LOVE.

*****By this time you are probably bored, but there’s more…Sorry…You can always stop reading…If you haven’t yet! LOL*****

I'm catholic.
I also like music, to compose, to sing, to play an instrument, but I don’t have any education on music. So I can’t say that I sing or play an instrument.
I have some education on painting and drawing. I’m not a professional, though, but when I do it I enjoy it and put my best.

Illnesses: I have mentioned in these forums that I have schizoaffective disorder. Well, I also have ADD. I share it with you because I feel that that is part of who I am.

A few months ago I posted a thread entitled “photos of me and my family”. There is a link to some pictures.

Well, this wasn't a little bit, but if I can help you in any way, please write me at [email protected].

Mariela Beatriz Picorelly

RE: This is a great thread!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-02 AT 06:45PM (Est)[/font][p]I love learning about you guys and gals! Great!

Um, I'll be 29 years old on Oct. 19th. I've been married to my wonderful husband for 3 1/2 years (we've been together for 12 though). We have two cats; one who's deaf, and one who's afraid of EVERYTHING. I don't watch TV, but I love movies. I'm into The Beatles (Honeybunch, let's swap trivia and facts sometime!), Prince or O(+> (but not so much as of late, I used to be an obsessive freak about him though), U2, Liz Phair, Tori Amos, and dc talk. I love concerts! Um, what else? My family is obsessed with board games and I have been known to force people to play 6-8 hours straight until I finally win. I work for a construction company doing admin stuff not actually building things, although that would be more fun. Things like having to call steel 'erectors' for work or using recipes that require 'a handful of nuts' crack me up. Immature. That's me. Oh, and my parents who have been married for 30+ years are 26 years apart. My dad likes to tell people that when he graduated from college my mom wasn't even a fetus. Nice dad. ALL of my teachers used to think my dad was my grandpa when he'd come to conferences.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.