6 month rotation and overtraining.

shoegoddess

Cathlete
I did M1 for 4 weeks and am doing M2 for 8 weeks. I'm on week 4 (the 1st week of 2) of M2 now. I'm seriously thinking I'm over training myself. I'm lifting heavier then I've ever dreamed I could. I'm not overly hungry but getting a little burned out and I'm tired all the time. I haven't added much cardio due to my being too tired and just wanting to get thru the workouts each week. I'm so looking forward to recovery week. I'm thinking of skipping M3 for a month. Maybe doing 4DS before going on to M3. Not sure what I'll do.
My question is when doing an 8 week mesocycle are we supposed to do a recovery week after 4 weeks or do the complete rotation of 8 weeks before recovery? Which is how I've done it.

Last edited:
My question is when doing an 8 week mesocycle are we supposed to do a recovery week after 4 weeks or do the complete rotation of 8 weeks before recovery? Which is how I've done it.

i would think yes, you should take a recovery week just like you would in the 3 month rotation. this might be why you are so tired!

HI Cindy!

I'm doing the 5-month rotation, repeating each week twice (will do Meso 3 only once).
I am taking the rest week as prescribed (;)) after each mesocycle (8 weeks), otherwise I'd be cutting the meso in half, right at the point where my body is adapting to the 5% increase in weight. You noticed that mid-meso you do 2 weeks of a certain 1RM percentage (65% for Meso 1, 75% for Meso 2).
I found that, although doing each week twice may look like a mountain to climb, my muscles really needed that in order to adapt to this training technique. So, by going to 60% for two weeks, 65% for 4 weeks, 70% for two weeks (REST), 70% for another 2 weeks, 75% for 4 weeks and 80% for the last 2 weeks before the REST is what my body really needs and the "exhaustion" I feel is actually feeding my muscles.

Chris.

Hey

I did M1 straight through for 4 weeks took a weeks rest (went on holidays or I would have done the 8 weeks) then I did M2 for 8 weeks and I was really dragging by the last week but the week off really helped. I am now onto M3 and I was planning on doing it for 8 weeks but I changed my mind once I did the first week and I will do it for the 4 weeks. Two reasons: 1 I am really feeling it and now that spring/ summer is starting I think that between the workouts and all the outdoor work that I do I have enough going on, 2 I really would like to try some of Cathe's other workouts as I am new to Cathe and want to try out all her stuff!
I am going to wait to start it again when the STS cardio comes out and then do M1 for 8 weeks and M2 for 8 weeks but still do M3 for 4 weeks.

Now that I am doing M3 I don't feel so exhausted as I did in M2.

Hope that helps
Heather

STS Shock!

Cindy:

I found out the hard way that the 5-month rotation was way too much “shock” for my body! I had fun with Meso 1. I loved every workout. With the variety and fun factor, I could have done 12 weeks without losing interest in it. My body was tired after 4 weeks, and a recovery week would have been beneficial. I was losing weight, shrinking, sleeping restfully, and feeling great the first 4 weeks. I did not have as much energy the second month and had to reduce my cardio to make it to the recovery week.

When I started Meso 2, I knew the honeymoon was over. LOL! I was crazy hungry and super sore and not sleeping well. A forum friend looked at my menus and made a few suggestions that helped, and I actually enjoyed the next few weeks of Meso 2. I especially liked the back-off sets. The second month of Meso 2 started with the week that includes double wave loading. That pushed me over the edge, but I pressed on! I averaged 2-3 hours of sleep a night during Meso 2. After sleeping only one hour last Friday after weeks of sleep deprivation, I made the decision to listen to my body and give up the fight. I gave up cardio during Meso 2 (with the exception of one water workout) because I had no energy for anything but the STS workouts. No cardio! No core! No stretching! Those intense workouts 3 times a week were all I could get through on a few hours of sleep a night. My appetite was out of control. I was planning menus and fixing good clean food, but I was eating more than usual by the second month (and craving meat, which is very unsual for me). As a result of no cardio and not enough restful sleep, I gained a bunch of weight. If I had it to do over again, I would have taken a recovery week after 4 weeks.

I made it through 4 months of the rotation with a recovery week in between Meso 1 and Meso 2. It was hard for me to stop after investing so much time and energy in this rotation, but I am honoring my body. After sleeping 7-9 hours a night this week, I am starting to feel fully alive again!

With the exception of the double wave loading, I love STS and look forward to starting the 3-month rotation in the fall after a recovery summer! I have always focused on cardio, circuit training, and endurance workouts. I did the Gym Style workouts once and never looked at them again. One month of a serious rotation was the record for me before STS. The fact that I stuck with it for 4 months is a testimony to how wonderful these workouts are. I have nothing but good to say about STS. I believe the “double” rotation with each week twice in a row and recovery weeks after 8 weeks instead of 4 weeks was too much of a good thing for my body. I highly recommend the 3-month rotation for intermediate exercisers and those who are carrying a lot of extra weight. I will say that it was helpful to repeat the Meso 1 workouts because they were faster paced with more variety, and I got a better workout the second time around when I knew what to expect. I would not personally do Meso 2 again for 8 weeks.

I hope Cathe responds to this because I would love to know if taking a break after 4 weeks would hurt your results if you decide to stick with the 6-month rotation.

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
I'm in my Recovery Week between Meso 2 and Meso 3, and I'm doing the 6 month rotation and have only taken my Recovery Week after the full 8 weeks of each Meso.

I've had NO PROBLEM at all with feeling tired, lethargic, getting injurred, etc. And believe me I AM WORKING my 1RM % hard! I've lifted heavy for a while and have done a few Body For Life rotations as well. I'm not sure if that has helped me, but I truly believe that doing the 6 month rotation was THE PERFECT DECISION FOR ME! I'm super happy with my results, I've zoned in on my eating, and am really SUPER FOCUSSED. I've kept my cardio on my non-STS days and those cardio sessions are a variety of everything. I do core/abs on cardio days and I'm actually SEEING a 6 pack pop out.

I'm stoked about the longer rotation!!!!!

Everybody's different. What works for me obviously won't work for you or vice versa. Tweek what doesn't work, keep what does. It's YOUR equation and sometimes trial and error is what it takes to get the right solution.

Gayle

Last edited:
I spent 8 weeks on Meso 1 and wish I had taken a break after the first 4 weeks. Partly because I had also preceded this with 2 weeks of 1 rep max testing. So it was really 10 weeks before I got a break.
When I started Meso 2, I knew immediately there was no way I wanted to spend 2 weeks on each one. I'm not really liking Meso 2 but I am able to progress each week with the weight increase ok and I'm really glad I'm on my last disc this afternoon! I'm sure I'll only want to spend a week each for Meso 3 also, but maybe not. I'll just listen to my body and see what I want to do. I WANTED to repeat the Meso 1 workouts because they were so fun and I really liked doing them as a repeat, knowing the routine better. I think everyone should just listen to their body and repeat the week if you feel like it, otherwise go on to the next week. And take your rest week when you need it, not on the exact schedule. I'm not sure we need to do an exact 3 month vs 5 month rotation. Maybe 4 months works best for you, repeating weeks as needed. Some weeks I put 2 days in between each disc instead of 1 because I felt I needed more rest time.
By the way, I am seeing good results with STS finally in my last week of meso 2. Down 8 pounds in weight and lifting heavier than ever. I did, however, have to increase my cardio to one hour on my non-lifting days to finally get there. I can see how if you skip cardio, you probably would gain weight.
Beth

I love hearing everyone's experiences with STS! I don't have it yet, but I'm learning a lot about the 3 and 6 month rotations and how it's working out for each of you! By the time I get it, I'll be ready and know what rotation I want to try! All of this information from you who are working STS is helping me prepare! I hope to get is soon and get started!

Tricia

I was seriously overtraining during Meso 1. My body simply wasn't used to that intensity. Meso 2 and 3 were fine... although I did injure myself in Meso 3. Plyo just is too hard on my knees and I knew I was overdoing it with the weight working my triceps but decided to press on hoping it would get better and all I got was a strained tricep! I have learned....

Listen to your body and rest when you need it. I was a bear near the end of Meso 1, irritable, ravenous and dead tired all of the time.

overtraining

Hi,

I've read several articles recently about overtraining. Many say that it is not the training, but the lack of proper nutrition and sleep that contribute to overtraining. Many athletes train way more than what the STS rotation is and aren't overtraining. Granted you have to take into account your fitness level and what training you are doing in comparison to what you have been doing.

During meso 2, I thought that I was overtraining too because I developed an eye twitch, which is a sign for me. I wasn't overly hungry either, but I was tired too. I made a conscious effort to increase my calorie intake by 2-300 calories and the eye twitch and the tired feeling went away. I'm finishing meso 3 and continuing to watch my food intake very closely. It is very difficult for me to consume the extra calories because I've pretty much programed my mind to a certain amount of food. On nights when I've worked out hard, and don't eat enough, I'm falling asleep watching tv at nine. When I treat my body right, I'm able to stay up much later and feel better. This may not be the answer for everyone, but it is just food for thought.

Tracy

Tracy, I totally agree; the quality of caloric intake for someone who works out is the first and foremost reason for exhaustion/tiredness.
A second issue we need to address is also the training method one is used to and has followed in the past, especially if one hasn't trained with heavy weights before. Going from mainly endurance training to strength training is a big leap.
In addition, the fuel one's body felt comfortable with during endurance training would not be the same for strength training.
Sometimes I also doze off on the couch while watching TV really early (10:00 pm sometimes) but this sleepiness is mostly "sweet" and relaxing - a message from my body that I am doing good but I need to sleep.
The weather in Greece is starting to heat up, so I guess I'll also be cutting down my cardio days to 2 per week instead of 3.

Chris.

Getting Ready for Round 2

A second issue we need to address is also the training method one is used to and has followed in the past, especially if one hasn't trained with heavy weights before. Going from mainly endurance training to strength training is a big leap. In addition, the fuel one's body felt comfortable with during endurance training would not be the same for strength training.

Chris:

It did not take me long to realize that what my body likes to eat during a cardio, circuit, and endurance rotation is not what my body needs during a heavy weight rotation like Meso 2. I have a good idea how I need to eat when I start Meso 2 again in the fall. Let’s discuss the second issue you mentioned. Meso 1 is super fun and my favorite way to train. Those workouts made me feel good! The first Meso 2 workout left me seeing stars. I was able to squeeze out the last few shaky reps using the weights on my workout card, but my body was in shock. Based on a preview, I was expecting Meso 2 to be easier with the slower pace and longer rests. No! The 3-month rotation with more frequent recovery weeks will likely be better for me. More than 2-3 hours of sleep a night should help too! Do you have any other tips to help me get ready for the next round of STS? I am planning to start STS again right before Labor Day. I made great strength gains with Cathe’s 4-Day Split rotation in November 2007. Would that be a good transition?

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Wow ,
When you put it that way Chris and Tracey that really makes sense! I know that I have been really pushing myself and although I am pretty sure that I am consuming enough calories, sleep has been an bit of an issue. I had also ramped up my cardio in Meso 2 so I had a lot going on for my body. It wasn't until the last two weeks of the extended Meso 2 that I really started to notice that I was over doing it.
Heather

I’m doing a 5 ½ month rotation (8 weeks Meso 1 – 8 weeks Meso 2 – 4 weeks Meso 3) and right now I’m going into the last week of Meso 2 so I have about six weeks left on the rotation.

First, let me say I also train for distance races (I’m doing a couple of 50k’s during the rotation and a 24 hour run a week after it ends). I started out adding in the Meso 3 Plyo workouts for the first 10 – 11 weeks but found it too much with the length of my long runs increasing so I’ve cut that out and only do them when my runs for that week are shorter. I do the STS workouts three days a week and run 3-4 times per week with my long run on Sunday. I try to put the leg workout in the middle of the week so I’m recovered by the weekend.

I found Meso 1 the most challenging for what I was doing. Endurance weights + endurance running = tired, lol! I feel great with Meso 2 though and have enjoyed it immensely. I’m looking forward to a quick Meso 3 and then I’m going to do either an abbreviated round of CLX or a round of Beach Body’s Insanity (if it’s released by mid July). In the Fall I’ll do another round of STS (undulating (sp?)) using some of the STS Shock cardio (which I’m really stoked for!) :)

I think what you fuel with has a HUGE impact on how you feel doing these workouts. Eating donuts and pizza won’t cut it, lol (believe me, I found that out personally). :) I sleep VERY sound so even 6-7 hours is good enough for me as long as it’s efficient sleep (I’ve worn my Go Wear Fit to sleep and I usually get a 97-99% efficiency rating) so I’m basically knocked OUT every night. :) Making these workouts “work” for you will take some trial and error but the whole STS set is so great you’ll never tire of it.

Kathy G

Last edited:
[QUOTE=Havingfun; It is very difficult for me to consume the extra calories because I've pretty much programed my mind to a certain amount of food.

Oh, If I could only get like that.
I never have a problem eating extra calories.

Heather - What I did when I started Meso 2 was up my protein intake on weight days and keep carbs the same during the cardio days. But I am doing each week twice so I can't really tell if the protein or repeating each week helped more... One thing is for sure: I was mainly endurance training for many years, so taking on a seriously demanding program like STS did indeed shock my body! :eek:
My advice is to hit as many reps as you can in good form or, better yet, rethink your 1RM with the cool option they have added in WM.
Also, Cathe points out that you will need an STS-free rotation before redoing STS. And, I read in a thread that she will post a post-STS rotation for June! How cool is that??? :D

Kathy G - I'm also doing the 5 ½ month rotation and just finished week 2... I noticed that the second time I go through a week my form is better.

Overall, I think Meso 2 is my fave so far. Meso 1 has lots of variety and fun, but Meso 2 is serious weight lifting! :eek: I feel the back off sets really push me and I can't wait for the double wave loads next week!!!

Chris.

P.S. My Achilles' Heel is kebab!!!! In pitta bread with fresh tomatoes, onion and tzatziki!!!

Chris

I will work on the extra protein on STS days and higher % carbs on cardio days. I had upped protein for everyday never thinking to up the carbs on cardio days. Now that I am in Meso 3 I really feel awesome. I actually feel like doing cardio on STS days (I am trying to limit myself on this). My body was definitely way shocked by this as I was doing Jari before this and kinda rotation out of a magazine combined with 30 minute runs before STS. I am so glad to have found Cathe!

I love the 1RM edit tool and have been adjusting all along both up and down. I am very pumped for the June rotation, especially since I actually have some Cathe DVD's now!

Thanks for the input.
Heather

I was also thinking about bananas... :D

My mom has Crohn's disease and often feels tired and exhausted so she eats lots of bananas for the magnesium.
During the first weeks of Meso 1 I got small cramps in my feet (probably dehydration and low magnesium levels - NOT good for the heart!!!) and the moment I ate a banana they went away... Now I mix one banana with my protein shake in the morning of a weight day and one banana after my workout on cardio days. Seems to do the trick.

Chris.

overtraining

Hi all,

Chris - You do bring up a good point regarding cycling nutrients and workouts. I try very hard to add extra protein on days that I weight train and extra carbs on cardio days. I've seen a big difference in my performance. I have to say though, that none of this is that easy. Eating healthy everyday requires a tremendous amount of thought and preparation. Also, it's a fine line to walk to get enough calories to fuel a productive workout, yet not too many to add pounds.

I agree that you do have to use common sense regarding how much you up the intensity of your daily workouts. I found that even though I have been doing endurance based weight training for years, that sticking to my 1rm numbers pushed me harder than I would have if I was just choosing my own weights. There were numerous times when I thought, "Oh I would have gone lighter for that", but instead picked up what my workout card said and it was OK. Of course, that upped the ante in comparison to what I had been doing. Then for me, adding in extra running because the weather has gotten better increased the demands more.

Kathy G- I've been doing the STS plyo that last few weeks and it definitely impacts my runs. Oh what a mistake to run the day after! My only consolation to all of this is that when I do get out on 'fresh legs' I feel great, so all of the hard work and discomfort is paying off.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.