100+ pounds gone forever!

I should really buy the series...

Only problem is that I don't like being tied down to a package like that.

If I did P90X, would I have to follow their diet to get results?

I should really buy the series...

Only problem is that I don't like being tied down to a package like that.

If I did P90X, would I have to follow their diet to get results?

OP said she stuck to her own diet, but BeachBody does push to do the diet it comes with (and the recovery drinks). Think with any program, diet is key.

Nightowl, thanks!! :)

Hi,

I did my own nutrition plan, I actually didn't even read the diet that comes with the p90x program, and I only did the exercise portion at about 80%. I never did the full program *exactly* as written.

I firmly believe that your results on any program are only as good as the nutrition plan you are on. IMO nutrition is 80% of results and exercise the other 20%. If your diet is not right you will not see the results you want.

Sandra

Amazing transformation, you look awesome! I love seeing before & after photos - thanks for posting!

I too love seeing before and after photos. Thanks for sharing.

I dohave a couple of questions in regards to your nutriton plan, did you keep a food journal? or use a specific site to track calories? And would you mind sharing a sample menu?

Jenn

first off you look amazing!!!! you make my little 5lbs that i have been trying to lose seem insignificant. i have skimmed this post and came across your macro breakdown of you diet. Would you be kind enough to post what a typical day looks like for your diet and how many cals you eat? i'm struggling to find a balance and i'm having weekly binges basically b/c i think i'm undereating throughout the week.

I too love seeing before and after photos. Thanks for sharing.

I dohave a couple of questions in regards to your nutriton plan, did you keep a food journal? or use a specific site to track calories? And would you mind sharing a sample menu?

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

Thank you! Yes, I did log all my food on the free site www.fitday.com
I'll post a 'typical day' menu below.

Sandra

first off you look amazing!!!! you make my little 5lbs that i have been trying to lose seem insignificant. i have skimmed this post and came across your macro breakdown of you diet. Would you be kind enough to post what a typical day looks like for your diet and how many cals you eat? i'm struggling to find a balance and i'm having weekly binges basically b/c i think i'm undereating throughout the week.

Hi Kariev,

Thank you for the compliments! :D You know when I was obese I used to think the people that had 5 lbs to lose were being vain, but now I realize it can be just as challenging to lose it and it can have the same mental/emotional effects too. So your 5 lbs are not insignificant! In fact I'm dealing with a new diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis (hypothyroid) and it really has me worried about gaining back some weight. I'll have to be extra dilligent to keep the weight off.

Sure, for losing the weight and maintaining it now, I do just about the same thing. I just eat a little bit more now. Here's what worked for me. While losing weight I initially ate about 1500-1600 calories/day which included up to 200 calories a day of anything I wanted (mini daily splurge). I worked my way down to an average of 1200-1300 calories to reach my initial goal. Now I eat probably an average of 1700 calories in maintenance (I'm not so strict with tracking right now). All of that was/is with moderate exercise of cardio and strength training.

Macronutrient breakdown:
40-50% carbs (more towards 50% on workout days, 40% on rest days)
30-40% protein
20-30% fat

I eat every 3 hours or so when awake after my first meal. Here's a typical day of food for me:

Meal 1: Protein/fruit smoothie: 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup mixed berries, 1 TBL ground flax, water and blend. Sometimes I add a small handful of spinach and my powdered vitamins.

Meal 2: 1/2-1 cup cottage cheese with 1 cup fruit and 1/4 cup fiber one cereal or Go Lean Crunch cereal- OR- protein pancakes with fruit and yogurt - OR- 3 boiled or srcambled eggs, eating only 1 yolk on light high fiber english muffin with 1 oz lowfat mozzarella cheese-OR- 0% or 2% Fage with 1 cup fruit or if I want to splurge a little, I have it with 1/2-1 oz pecans and 2 TBL dried cranberries--sooo good.

Meal 3: large green salad with 3-4 oz lean protein or 1 can solid white tuna with lots of veggies and a light dressing, 4-5 crackers and about 1 TBL feta cheese and a few kalamata olives for flavor and taste, sometimes I have 1-2 TBL dried cranberries and 1/2 oz pecans instead on the salad too

Meal 4: Dark chocolate Zone bar and apple or 1 oz almonds and fruit or Balance Bar

Meal 5: 3-4 oz lean protein and steamed veggies, some whole grains but only 1/4-1/2 cup or if I'm at work I'll have a Kashi, Lean Cusine or Healthy Choice meal high in protein and under 300 cals, add 1 cup frozen broccoli to almost all frozen meals and/or additional protein if the protein in the frozen meal is low.

Meal 6: usually a treat of anything I want under 200 calories (chocolate, York Peppermint patty or 100 cal pack chocolate covered pretzels) or same as Meal 2

I think I buy all of Costco's frozen berries, I use them all the time. I think planning and preparing meals ahead of time is key. Once a week I cook a lot of protein, weigh and freeze it for the week and I make protein pancakes and then freeze them for the week as well. I cut up or have prepared my fruits and veggies ready to eat as well. I also buy the frozen veggies mix at Costco and roast all the veggies at once then freeze them in portions. Hope this helps!

Sandra

Last edited:
Hey there...I have enjoyed reading about your success and THANKS so much for helping me find fitday. It is really helping me with logging what I eat and being more aware and planning ahead. I noticed that you work 12 hr nights :} I do too. So when I work a night shift and if I am off the next day I usually take about a 3-4 hr nap and then get up the rest of the day and go to bed like normal at night. I am assuming I would not eat a typical 1200 cal or so that day but it will be less because of the adjusted wake/sleep time. I do okay for figuring it out on the nights I work cuz I just back up my meals to take place later. Also what do you do to keep your protein up mine is a little low.

I love your before and after pics. They have given me the extra shove I needed after losing 30# and being at a standstill that is totally because of what I have been eating.

I hope you are feeling better with your Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I enjoyed your blog as well.

Beth

Hey there...I have enjoyed reading about your success and THANKS so much for helping me find fitday. It is really helping me with logging what I eat and being more aware and planning ahead. I noticed that you work 12 hr nights :} I do too. So when I work a night shift and if I am off the next day I usually take about a 3-4 hr nap and then get up the rest of the day and go to bed like normal at night. I am assuming I would not eat a typical 1200 cal or so that day but it will be less because of the adjusted wake/sleep time. I do okay for figuring it out on the nights I work cuz I just back up my meals to take place later. Also what do you do to keep your protein up mine is a little low.

I love your before and after pics. They have given me the extra shove I needed after losing 30# and being at a standstill that is totally because of what I have been eating.

I hope you are feeling better with your Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I enjoyed your blog as well.

Beth

Hi Beth, Ooh, a fellow night shifter! :eek:

Thanks for the compliments! :D So glad you are liking fitday.com!

With the trigger into Hashimoto's I am feeling very fatigued and weak these past 2-3 weeks and haven't been able to workout like normal and I hate it. I hope I get my strength back soon...I am a little worried. I went to see and endocrinologist today who said I just have to be patient for a few more weeks and she wants to check more blood work. I am so frustrated but trying to hang in there.

Anywho, yeah, if you're able to sleep for 3-4 hours and then go to bed at a relatively normal time on your first night off then you'd be eating less that day. I think it all works out because I usually eat more my first night on and then less my first night off.

My protein staples:

cottage cheese (I only like the knudsen 2%)
greek yogurt (Voskos has 24 g protein!! and Fage has about 17-18 g protein per serving--these are expensive but worth it)
Chicken
Fish
turkey
protein powder
eggs hard boiled or srambled
egg substitute scrambled or muffins (spray 12 serving muffin tin with Pam, mix 4 cups egg whites or egg substitute, 1-2 cups chopped spinach or other veggies, 1 small can diced green chilies and 2 oz lowfat mozzarella cheese and season with salt/pepper. divide evenly into 12 muffin cup servings. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until eggs have set). These freeze well and are a great breakfast/snack.
beans
protein pancakes

Hope this helps!

Sandra

Hello,

I am new to Cathe forums, but I wanted to say that you have truly inspired me to kick it into high gear and complete what I started a long time ago.

This time around, I have chose Cathe's workouts because I think it will get the job done.

I will use WW as a eating guideline, because I need the accountability and I have tried it on my own, with no success. So between the two, I hope to be a smoking hot 40 year old in November.

Keep up the good work!

Way to go, Ellesan! You are an inspiration! May I also say, you look fantabulous!!!

It's the success stories like yours that keep me going!

My One Year Weight Maintenance Anniversary!

Weight today: 122.6 lbs

In the midst of all my recent health issues, I've entered into June--my one year maintenance anniversary month! Wahoo!! In my previous 20 something years of yo-yo dieting, I have never maintained a significant weight loss for more than a few months at best. This is truly a milestone for me. :)

By the end of June 2008 I had reached my goal weight of 137 lbs and went into maintenance. I was heading to South America and the Caribbean for vacation! I was SO proud of myself for working hard and reaching my goal, it felt a little surreal. I was nervous to be without my workouts, my scale and my routine foods for a few weeks, but I was ready for the adventure.

First we went to my husband's homeland of Colombia. I took protein powder and protein bars for the entire trip to ensure I'd have at least a few normal things to eat. The fruits and veggies in Colombia are fantastic, and I had yogurt every morning and usually some eggs. We often had soup, rice, chicken and other traditional Colombian meals. I did indulge in arapas con queso and some other super delicious breads that you can only get there. Oh, and have you ever had Colombian empanadas!? Some of the best fried food ever.

At first I was SO nervous that I might gain some weight while I was on vacation. I had worked WAY to hard to put back on even a few pounds. I was probably a little rude about some of the food offered to me, but it was out of fear, not being snobby, that I refused.

By the time we got to the all-inclusive Caribbean resort, I had eased up a bit on my strict food plan. I decided that I would eat low carb (lots of fruits, veggies and lean proteins) for breakfast and lunch, and allow myself anything I wanted for dinner and then a small dessert. This plan worked fabulous for me...and I was happier to be around too. By the time we were on the plane back to the USA, my jeans that fit a few weeks prior were loose on me. When I got back home I got on the scale and I had actually lost 1-2 lbs and a few inches during my vacation! It was another great moment for me because it meant that I had really learned how to eat in the real world, I could do it!

Since reaching my initial goal of 137 lbs in June 2008, I continued to work hard and I have lost an additional 12-15 lbs and feel great in a weight range of 122-125 lbs. I feel this weight fits my body proportions well and it feels right. I am saddened by my health challenges recently because I don't feel like I've been able to really enjoy my new body and all of my hard work. However, I'm not going to dwell on this, I'm going to try and move forward the best I can and be even stronger and better in the future. I have now kept off over 85 pounds for over one year and going strong. :)

congrats again on your success. I'm struggling with a measly 5-8lbs that won't budge. Are you doing STS? I'm finding that I think my body does better with more cardio. How many cals did you eat per day to lose all of your weight?

Hi kariev, Thanks! I did start STS but then had to stop due to health reasons. I just had surgery (thyroid removed) 12 days ago and still need a bit of time to recover, but I hope to start STS later in the summer.

I think everyone's body needs a little different formula, but IMO #1 is DIET (can't stress this enough), #2 is strength training and #3 is cardio. Not saying you don't need cardio--beneficial in so many ways, I just think nutrition and strength training do a lot more to change the shape of the body. I'm sure some people would disagree, this is just what has worked for me. I saw huge improvement in my shape when I increased strength and decreased cardio.

During my weight loss I started at about 1700 cals and as I lost weight I kept decreasing cals by 200 or so--went down to around 1200 (some days less, some more). Now to maintain my weight at 122-125 lbs I eat between 1700-1800 cals and this is with minimal exercise since I'm recovering from surgery. I pretty much ate close to the Zone program, about 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

Keep up the great work, you can do it!

Sandra

congrats again on your success. I'm struggling with a measly 5-8lbs that won't budge. Are you doing STS? I'm finding that I think my body does better with more cardio. How many cals did you eat per day to lose all of your weight?

Hi kariev, Thanks! I did start STS but then had to stop due to health reasons. I just had surgery (thyroid removed) 12 days ago and still need a bit of time to recover, but I hope to start STS later in the summer.

I think everyone's body needs a little different formula, but IMO #1 is DIET (can't stress this enough), #2 is strength training and #3 is cardio. Not saying you don't need cardio--beneficial in so many ways, I just think nutrition and strength training do a lot more to change the shape of the body. I'm sure some people would disagree, this is just what has worked for me. I saw huge improvement in my shape when I increased strength and decreased cardio.

During my weight loss I started at about 1700 cals and as I lost weight I kept decreasing cals by 200 or so--went down to around 1200 (some days less, some more). Now to maintain my weight at 122-125 lbs I eat between 1700-1800 cals and this is with minimal exercise since I'm recovering from surgery. I pretty much ate close to the Zone program, about 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

Keep up the great work, you can do it!

Sandra

Thanks for the reply. Do you find that eating frequently is beneficial. I'm finding that mini meals leave me unsatisfied and make me think about food all day! I try to stay around 1500cals per day but i seem to be more satisfied in the calorie range if i eat 3 or 4 larger meals vs. 5 or 6 small meals. If cals are in a deficit, i think that one could lose weight no matter how frequent their feedings. But i do think that one should never eat less than 3 meals per day

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.