Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Nathalie - I will soon revisit High Step Circuit which Cathe considers intermediate. I didn't find it too easy previous time. I'm curious what intensity I can expect from ICE series :)
You seem to manage complicated choreography (PRS1 etc). My noble envy for you! Yesterday I attempted again Cathe's Step Blast, which has a great music, is effective and the participants look so gracious. Gave up after 7 minutes....I wish I could follow.

Hello Svetlana,

I missed your comment above.
Yes you are right I can manage complicated choreography. For me the main reason is I do have rhythm .
Once I have learned combos they pretty much stay engraved in my memory and I can just naturally execute
them without thinking too much. I just follow the rhythm of the music. Also I love mastering step moves.
I just have the mind set for it. Cathe's step are fun fun fun and I love the way she creatively breaks moves
down.:). Step require patience during learning process.

I didn't think I could love Cathe more, but then today I did High Step Training. WOW! What an amazing and tough workout! I like it just as much as HSC if not more. Holy leg presses! After that double set, I was sucking wind. It was hard to lift heavy for the back rows after that! I cannot wait to do this one again.

Oh, and why can't my brain figure out how to do straddle taps?? LOL!

Today's workout was Ript90 arm annihilation. Holy smokes this workout has a lot of chin-up! 10 sets of 5 to be exact! At first I didn't think it would be that bad since you are doing them in sets of five, but boy was I wrong! Because the sets are performed back to back with only a tiny rest in between, I really found myself struggling--even using an assist. Definitely was not feeling as strong as I did on Sunday when I did the Minute by Minute workout. I kept burning out after 3 reps! I don't like skipping out on reps so to make up for not being able to hit all five chin-ups I would quickly move to our nautilus machine and finish each set with 3 lat pull downs with a chin up grip (technically I guess I only needed to do two reps, but I threw the third one in there for good measure, lol). Since I wasn't moving at the same speed as Jodi and his team, I ended up just pausing the DVD and worked through the ten sets on my own. At the end of the workout he has you do 3 sets of 50 full sit ups! No doubt my abs will be feeling that tomorrow.

SarBear--what is Ruthless? Should I know what this is?

LOL, Jen!!! I was rereading your review of Ruthless earlier today and I have to admit, I'm getting a little nervous to try them out. Sounds like some of the workouts really live up to the name!

About to head to the airport, but I wanted to squeeze in my check-in. This morning I finished off the week with Yoga Max. I wanted some great stretching, but I wanted it to be a bit more active. YM fit the bill perfectly.

Everyone have a great weekend!

This morning was Ultimatum Purple (kickboxing) + Butt Bible Level 2 Upper. I used 2# weighted gloves for the kickboxing so by the time I was done my shoulders and back were fried.

haha! I felt like I should know what Ruthless meant! Weider Ruthless of course! Loves those workouts!

have a great trip Jodi!

Sounds like you're enjoying RIPT90 SarBear! I definitely have no buyers remorse. I love those workouts.

Today is Day 6 of IF and I am not sure what I think. I am starving right now. My eating window is 11am-7pm and the last 1-3 hours before 11 am have been misery. Some days have been better than others. Today it seemed to start earlier. The scale hasn't moved and my clothes aren't any looser. I know it takes time and it has only been 6 days. I am heading out on vacation on 8/7 so I am going to continue this until 8/6 and form my opinion of whether to continue then.

Hi Everyone,

Jodi: I knew you were going to love Power Hour. It is a great workout.

Sarbear: Hope you manage to clear your head and do not let stress win! 100 pull up is impressive.
I should join you on this challenge.:). What I noticed with pull up is more often we do them
better and quicker we gain strength. So I need to do them consistently. Do it at your pace. In fact
I will be doing them slowly cause I need to build up the technique. It require a lot of focus.
Last time I did pull up was when I did STS. So I appreciate you sharing your 100 challenge with us.
you are motivating me.

Mary: Sorry to hear about how your feel about this year. Try to get up and running for fall so we can re-start STS.
I can not wait:)

Regarding t-shirt---Jen I like cathlete t-shirt too. I think I will get the brown in future. Will also get the ICE
one. Purple would match my fitness shoes.:) Jodi to reply to your question. I have not bought any y:)et.
I am not sure about the size I should get. i do not like baggy look on me. I do not want it too tight either.
Based on various review on the site, It would be wise for me to get the L one.

Tom: How is your form while executing deadlift. Are you happy with it? Have you had any review on your
form from any friend. :)

yesterday workout was PRS#1
Wod Pedal Max xtr 71 minutes and an hour yoga relax.

Svetlana: Yes cathe's 3 high step circuit are must have in my opinion.
They hardly get mentioned here on the forum but they are pure gems:):)
The one I like the most is HSC.

11 o'clock here buddies Good night;)
Today's workout was Ript90 arm annihilation. Holy smokes this workout has a lot of chin-up! 10 sets of 5 to be exact! At first I didn't think it would be that bad since you are doing them in sets of five, but boy was I wrong! Because the sets are performed back to back with only a tiny rest in between, I really found myself struggling--even using an assist. Definitely was not feeling as strong as I did on Sunday when I did the Minute by Minute workout. I kept burning out after 3 reps! I don't like skipping out on reps so to make up for not being able to hit all five chin-ups I would quickly move to our nautilus machine and finish each set with 3 lat pull downs with a chin up grip (technically I guess I only needed to do two reps, but I threw the third one in there for good measure, lol). Since I wasn't moving at the same speed as Jodi and his team, I ended up just pausing the DVD and worked through the ten sets on my own. At the end of the workout he has you do 3 sets of 50 full sit ups! No doubt my abs will be feeling that tomorrow.

LOL, Jen!!! I was rereading your review of Ruthless earlier today and I have to admit, I'm getting a little nervous to try them out. Sounds like some of the workouts really live up to the name!
Sarbear I know what you mean about pullups!! I was doing day 3 of week 2 Nia's Simple Strength 2 and it calls for 4sets of 10. I ended up with sets of 10 8 6 6! Wasn't happy, but when they are one after the other at the end of a workout its tougher!! I AM going to do 4x10....It just wasn't going to be yesterday!!!I decided I wasn't going to use any assist(probably not smart) and would build my endurance to do 4x10. Pullups are something I do a lot and I thought it wouldn't be that bad but 4x10 pretty well kicks my.... (you know!!!) I found even on bicep curls, I dropped the weight by 15# when I started Nia, but 4x10 was much tougher than expected. Usually I either superset with tri's or, like in sts, triset, and wow, less rest makes a BIG difference!! Hang in there it sounds like you are working hard!!

Hi Everyone,

Jodi: I knew you were going to love Power Hour. It is a great workout.

Sarbear: Hope you manage to clear your head and do not let stress win! 100 pull up is impressive.
I should join you on this challenge.:). What I noticed with pull up is more often we do them
better and quicker we gain strength. So I need to do them consistently. Do it at your pace. In fact
I will be doing them slowly cause I need to build up the technique. It require a lot of focus.
Last time I did pull up was when I did STS. So I appreciate you sharing your 100 challenge with us.
you are motivating me.

Mary: Sorry to hear about how your feel about this year. Try to get up and running for fall so we can re-start STS.
I can not wait:)

Regarding t-shirt---Jen I like cathlete t-shirt too. I think I will get the brown in future. Will also get the ICE
one. Purple would match my fitness shoes.:) Jodi to reply to your question. I have not bought any y:)et.
I am not sure about the size I should get. i do not like baggy look on me. I do not want it too tight either.
Based on various review on the site, It would be wise for me to get the L one.

Tom: How is your form while executing deadlift. Are you happy with it? Have you had any review on your
form from any friend. :)

yesterday workout was PRS#1
Wod Pedal Max xtr 71 minutes and an hour yoga relax.

Svetlana: Yes cathe's 3 high step circuit are must have in my opinion.
They hardly get mentioned here on the forum but they are pure gems:):)
The one I like the most is HSC.

11 o'clock here buddies Good night;)
Nathalie I tried several different things and my last set that I videoed looked and felt the best. My shoulders were pulled back and used more legs and back was straighter....work in progress.

Yesterday was overhead presses, 2x5 and 1x10 tricep pushups 4x10 and pullups 4x10 (1x10 1x8 2x6) (hopefully endurance will come). Last week, I did use a little help on a few of the reps, but I am going to do them all unassisted and try to increase my endurance. I often do one long set, so this is different and I expect the endurance to come. Today was squats 2x5 1x10 barbell reverse lunges 4x10 and hanging leg raises 4x10 (I did 4x6) I have to hold myself in 1/2 chinup position to alleviate pressure in shoulders. Last week the reverse lunges about made me a cripple and I expect that again since I added 10 #. I, so far have been adding weight to most excercises, because the whole point of this program is to increase strength. Hope everyone has a great weekend and Jodi, enjoy your travels!!

Hi Everyone,

Jodi: Holy moly leg press on High step training...I hear you. While doing HST I always feel those leg
press will never end. Have a great trip.

You Ruthless ladies are enabling me!!! Oh well it sounds like this Weider ruthless stand for it's name so I should consider
try it :oops::oops::eek::eek:. I should find out if I can get it shipped in europe.

You ladies are all working really hard---Thanks for motivating me.

Yesterday workout was: 4ds kickboxing plus CTX upper body. As you probably know this workout contain
eccentric moves therefore I am feeling serious DOMS on my upper body. My shoulders are feeling it today.
I planned to do my one rep max but I would rather leave it for now.

Today workout was Cathe's Ride an hour main program.

Jen: Let's stay strong in this IF trial. I suppose you are going to review Butt Bible. How are you doing
trying Butt bible. Do you like Paulin Nordin personality. I think she is hilarious LOL.

Tom: Very well done trying to get your form spot on. Deadlift is a staple strength compound exercise.
It is worth investing time and effort getting the form corrected and right. Hope you get to the point of feeling
move where you should feel it.On your legs. May you should try a variation with lighter weight , just to
see and feel the difference.

Cathe's deadlift is different. It is what is called stiff deadlift aka Romanian deadlift with no pause.
This is even more challenging. There is more tension keeping throughtout the movement.
Here is a link about deadlift and variations.

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/perfect-form-with-jessie-h/how-to-deadlift/

BTW...I love trying all deadlift variation. I did one leg stiff deadlift with dumbbell 2 days ago.
this one of the best to recruit muscle on hamstring firstly and glute. IMO. I love doing this one below:):)

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/the-fit-life-with-nicole-wilkins/the-single-leg-deadlift/

Wish everyone a good week end;).

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Jodi: Holy moly leg press on High step training...I hear you. While doing HST I always feel those leg
press will never end. Have a great trip.

You Ruthless ladies are enabling me!!! Oh well it sounds like this Weider ruthless stand for it's name so I should consider
try it :oops::oops::eek::eek:. I should find out if I can get it shipped in europe.

You ladies are all working really hard---Thanks for motivating me.

Yesterday workout was: 4ds kickboxing plus CTX upper body. As you probably know this workout contain
eccentric moves therefore I am feeling serious DOMS on my upper body. My shoulders are feeling it today.
I planned to do my one rep max but I would rather leave it for now.

Today workout was Cathe's Ride an hour main program.

Jen: Let's stay strong in this IF trial. I suppose you are going to review Butt Bible. How are you doing
trying Butt bible. Do you like Paulin Nordin personality. I think she is hilarious LOL.

Tom: Very well done trying to get your form spot on. Deadlift is a staple strength compound exercise.
It is worth investing time and effort getting the form corrected and right. Hope you get to the point of feeling
move where you should feel it.On your legs. May you should try a variation with lighter weight , just to
see and feel the difference.

Cathe's deadlift is different. It is what is called stiff deadlift aka Romanian deadlift with no pause.
This is even more challenging. There is more tension keeping throughtout the movement.
Here is a link about deadlift and variations.

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/perfect-form-with-jessie-h/how-to-deadlift/

BTW...I love trying all deadlift variation. I did one leg stiff deadlift with dumbbell 2 days ago.
this one of the best to recruit muscle on hamstring. IMO. I love doing this one below:):)

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/the-fit-life-with-nicole-wilkins/the-single-leg-deadlift/

Wish everyone a good week end;).
Thanks Nathalie. The nail thing makes sense!!

Hi gang! Well let me just say that yesterday's Ript90's Arm Annihilator definitely lived up to its name. I woke up with some SERIOUS DOMs!!! I think Jen said it best when she mentioned in her review that her biceps felt bruised. I can vouch for that description and I didn't even add on the extra 10-minute torchers that Jen did. My arms are still crazy sore!

I was going to try out Ript90's Deadlift Killer workout today, but my arms were so spent from yesterday that I didn't think I would be able to hold dumbells in my hands for as many deadlifts as that workout contains. So I made a last minute choice to dive right into those Ruthless DVD's. After taking a quick look at Jen's blog, I decided to go with Nitro Burn because it sounded a little easier than some of the other workouts and that's what my sore body was craving this morning, LOL. I really enjoyed the workout. Those of you that said that Steve is easy on the eyes were not lying...haha. He does yell the entire time, but surprisingly that didn't really get on my nerves. So about halfway through the workout I started to feel some chest pain and tightness. I actually had to pause the DVD for a second because the pain in my chest felt so odd and I was hoping that it wasn't a sign that I was about to have a heart attack or something. I finally realized that the pain I was feeling was not from my heart but from my pecs!!!! LOL! Every Ript90 workout I've done so far has included some form of push-ups so I guess after doing the Chest Shredder a few days ago, my chest muscles never really got a break/rest. All the bouncing and jumping in Nitro Burn was just aggravating my sore muscles. Imagine my relief!!! :) Since the Ruthless workouts are only 20 minutes long, I decided to follow up Nitro Burn with Wicked Lower Body. I really enjoyed this workout as well. It got a good burn going on in my legs/glutes/etc.

Jodi--Save travels!!!
Jen--I'm definitely enjoying both Ript90 and Weider Ruthless. Both are such good values for their cost-- so glad you recommended them! And thank you so much for all the time you put into doing your blog/workout reviews. I've been referring to your page a lot this week because I really like your descriptions of the workouts better than the ones that come with the actual DVD's! Your descriptions are so much more helpful. :)
Tom-I love hearing about your experiences with the Nia Shanks workouts. I've been following the Nia Shanks forum thread for awhile and keep debating on whether or not I should try out one of her programs. They sound pretty good!
Nathalie--We are a bunch of enablers aren't we!!! :) I love it though! You guys have introduced me to so many new workouts/trainers that I would have never tried on my own.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Hey, my member status changed to Cathlete!
Nathalie - Great job on Cathe's cycling workouts. I don't own stationery bike, but even watching the previews is fun ;)
Tom - I filmed myself doing deadlifts and decided my form is good. I feel the pull in my hamstring too. Still wary to add weight though..
Jodi - I love Cathe's High Step Training. The premixes include a 13 minute cardio blast and equally killer 13 minute lower body premix, which are some of my most used segments ever. During the hold squats, I love Cathe saying "you can stand up earlier if you need to, but keep holding" :)
Hope you can check in here during your trip.
Jen - I know how you feel during the fast (just for info - my fast included no drinking as well, and the eating window was 9 PM to 3.30 AM).
My energy was low throughout the month. I was unable to do longer cardio or go all out. I missed the workout high. I only did 10-15 min strength training sessions.
I tried not to create calorie deficit in the 24 hour time frame, ate high energy food and had 3+ meals. Still, fatigue was building up.
It's nice I'm back to my morning coffee and sweatfest mornings!
Sarbear - I'm glad you enjoy RIPT90 as much as Jen does! I'm waiting for my DVDs to arrive and will report my impressions soon.
Mary - Great for choosing Cathe's Supersets workout, it is fun and has a great music too.

Yesterday's I tried a prototype of the ICE series:
Blizzard Blast - Warm up & Blasts from High Step Training,
Main workout - High Step Circuit. My heart rate was raised throughout. I used heavier weight than suggested (2x 5 kgs) and higher step.
In the morning I went for Cardio Core Circuit and , the standing part of Kelly Coffey Meyer's NYC and Tabatas 2&3& stretch from Tabatasize.

Today I did Michelle Dozois' Anywhere, Anytime and the first half of Jari Love's Bootcamp . Michelle and Jari pair well together - first I had a hyper then calm , demure motivation . Wow I'm tired now.

Have a great day buddies!

Last edited:
This morning I did Ultimatum's Platinum workout--now that was more what I was expecting from Ultimatum. I've really liked them all so far, but Platinum really kicked it up a notch. Still not Insanity level, but this one ranks up there with Michelle Dozois Peak 10 Cardio Strength workouts--except the choreography is much simpler! I finished it off with Ultimatum's 15 minute stretch.

Nathalie--I'm staying strong. In spite of the hunger as the hour nears 11am, if I see results I can do this and I'm sure the longer I do it the easier it will become. But I need to see the results to decide if it is even worth it. But I know that takes time. The scale did drop this morning. Svetlana--I don't have any weakness or loss of energy. My morning workouts have always been done fasted and I have always been able to go strong--but it was never a long fast. Even now it isn't since I stop eating at 7pm and I workout at 4am (6am on weekends). Now if I was fasting 24 hours like you did--there might be issues! And I am eating as many calories as I did before I started IF--I just eat them in an 8 hour window. So my object isn't to lose weight--it is to lose fat since according to the reading I've done that is the benefit--your body taps into fat for energy rather than glycogen.

SarBear--I know! Arm Annihilator tore my arms up! In a good way! I've had that kind of chest pain before too btw--but it was Cathe that did it to me! And more than once!

And yes, Nathalie--a review on Butt Bible will be going up probably the second week in August. I like Pauline so far but I know she has her critics. She chatters a lot and says things some people might find offensive. It's obvious she looks at unfit/overweight people with disgust and tears them apart in her mind--then shares those unpleasant thoughts with the people doing her workouts with her! I don't believe she is trying to be funny either. She is way too detailed in the way she tears overweight bodies apart to be joking. It doesn't bother me tho. Not because I agree with her, but her workouts are good and I don't want my body to possess all the "defects" she describes! So I work harder!

I am always saying it has to stop--I have got to stop buying new programs and workout DVDs. I do not have the time to do all the ones I currently own and love! However, Oxygen sent me a sales email yesterday and I am intrigued: Edge Booty Extreme 2. Thoughts? I am tempted! The trailer shows more cardio than strength training, but the description describes it as both strength training workouts and plyometric workouts.

This morning I went back and forth trying to decide what Ript90 workout to try next. Was going to give Death by Thruster a shot, but I decided to do Back Breaker instead because I worked the lower body good yesterday and I wasn't sure I could make it through all those thrusters. I thought Back Breaker was a really good back workout that I know I will be feeling tomorrow! Jody threw me for a loop when he had us bust out 5 sets of 20 push-ups at the end though! I wasn't expecting push-ups in a back workout, but as I mentioned yesterday I have yet to try a Ript90 workout that didn't include push-ups!

Hope everyone is having a nice Saturday!

Here is my workout rotation for the past week.

Day 1 Turbo Fire 30
Day 2 CE Push Circuit 1
Day 3 Turbo Jam 20minute workout
Day 4 CE Push Circuit 2
Day 5 CE Burn Intervals
Day 6 CE Push Circuit 3
Day 7 4 mile walk

I started using my Vivofit with heart rate monitor this week and wow, i Have learned a lot. It is quite accurate in terms of counting my steps and it was just what I needed to get an idea of my metabolism, and heart rate while exercising. I was surprised to see how high my heart rate was while doing burn intervals and it made me push harder. I also have it sync to my fitness pal and i now understand why I am not reaching my goals. On most days i am not eating enough. I was surprised. Definitely setting some new goals next week to get my calorie consumption up.

Love the shortness of the chalene extreme workouts and my legs are again surprisingly sore and my triceps are really developing another surprise.

Until the next checkin, have a great week.

This morning was Ultimatum's Black workout and I finished it out with Butt Bible Level 2 Lower--my glutes and legs are fried. I loved the Black workout--tough and fun metabolic strength work. I would not call the Butt Bible fun. I am afraid of level 3 now because level 2 was tough! I love it tho--some serious glute work in only 30 minutes!

Hi friends,

Jen - I wish you achieve the body changes your target during the IF.Losing fat without losing weight sounds interesting. Please keep us in touch. I'm awaiting your review of the Butt Bible .
Jodi - I have no Cathe T-shirt yet. In the photo , I like the ICE one more than the RWH . But would prefer blue, violet or green color :)
SarBear - Today I too, can't think about doing even one push up ;)

Here are my confessions of a fitness DVD addict. Xtrain - Chest, Shoulders, Back DVD, which I want for a long time, was Deal of the Day on Saturday. But I spent a lot on fitness DVDs lately. I added/removed it to/from my shopping basket 10+ times. My husband has been unemployed in the last 15 months. I wisely decided to hold the purchase.
Yesterday I woke up wanting to do exactly Xtrain CSB and nothing else! The urge was uncontrollable. I purchased the download and even got the abs segment from Leaner Legs to avail 20% off. NO buyer's remorse! I decided I can continue using my old cellular phone. New mobile will not make me as happy as a fitness DVD.
CSB is fun, has great music , no repetition, no dread factor and time flies. I didn't need to sub a lot - only double arm rows instead of single ones to compensate that my weights are not heavy enough. I have wonderful back and shoulder DOMS and I am delirious. I'm so looking forward to do this again!
Today I got RIPT90 and did the Deadlift Killer, ab segment and stretch. I will return to DK and the stretch and will not revisit the ab segment. I will use these workouts when I'm sleepy or absent minded and don't want to think about what follows. I will not do these workouts if I want to have fun (which is most of the time). Well, for the price, RIPT90 are quite good. I feel it in my butt and thighs. I added Cathe's loop bonus from Great Glutes to work the calves.

My doubles yesterday was Hiit 30/30 and the Biceps and Triceps 100 Rep Challenges.
My doubles today are the step portions from Cathe's Intensity and Step, Jump and Pump. I'll try to fit in the ball segment from STS Ab Circuits later. I haven't mastered it yet.

Keep pumping and / or jumping everyone!

This morning was Ultimatum Red + STS Extended Stretch. I love these Ultimatum workouts! They are awesome! I would put them as a cross between Cathe's TTM/CF/X10 and her cardio + strength circuit workouts like HST/HSC. They are awesome and fun and excellent workouts. Winners! I have one more Ultimatum, but next on my To Do list of new workouts to sample is PFLO/PFWL. So today's double is PFWL HIIT/Loading.

Svetlana--you sound like me with the workout DVD purchases! I am still trying to refrain from purchasing The Edge Booty Extreme 2. It doesn't help my husband urges me to buy them. I am trying to hold off a week or two and see if I still want it as bad.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.