Nia Shanks

Karen said it all! I've emailed Nia several times with questions and she's always super generous and quick with her replies.
I highly recommend. Especially if you have kid(s) -- as it seems you do from your photo -- it's great back for your buck, time-wise.

Yep! Ditto ditto Karen and Roz.

The 'finishers' Roz and I got are brilliant for a quick 10 mins 'blast' at the end of a lifting session, or just on their own. I'm finding them great fun (Karen - I can highly recommend, although there is some overlap with LWF2 style-wise).

How's everything going, ladies?
I'm nursing a minor wrist tweak and just resting this week -- no lifting, some cardio. I'm basically bumping my deload up a week.
Which program do you think you'll do next?
I'm trying to decide between GGS and GSF2. GGS would be more of a change of pace, but I love the idea of incorporating biofeedback... Oh well, I'll see...
I thought this was a cool article:
http://tonygentilcore.com/2015/06/4-strength-goals-for-a-beautiful-body/
Not because of the aesthetic element, but I think I may shoot of those 4 goals, just for fun. I can't do any of them yet... I can do 20 pushups, but not 20 perfect, full ROM pushups. I think GGS would be good for training for these goals, but... yeah. I'm indecisive!
I think this thread is becoming 'Nia n' Friends'. Maybe we rename it 'Iron Matrons?' ;)
Roz

Iron Matrons! Love it!!

I'm not even halfway through BBA yet, so I've a while to decide what's next - however, I'm thinking of introducing the biofeedback idea into Nia's programme. I've been doing some LWF2 workouts. Kettlebell Right This Minute nearly killed me (I was using a 22kg bell, although I dropped to 10kg for the snatch), and The Top Down Approach (BW under 10 mins) proved a great finisher. Have you Iron Matrons tried any yet?

Sorry to hear about your wrist Roz - was it from lifting? Or just from life in general? I saw those Tony Gentilcore goals, and thought they were amazing. I'm really liking his stuff. I love his line: I'm a dude and it p****s me off. Good on him. He's so entertaining to read. Anway, I've been shooting for similar goals for a while - with 2 extras: a pistol squat (yes, just 1 would do) and a handstand pushup (again, just the 1!)

I'm working on this list:

1. Sumo Squats
2. Squats
3. Overhead Squats
4. Y Squats- perform a regular squat with your arms held at the Y position (EFX)
5. Back Lunges
6. Side Lunges
7. Bulgarian Split Squats with arms overhead
8.1-legged Squats off knee height surface
9. Assisted 1-legged Squats
10. Assisted Pistols
11. One-legged Squats
12. Pistols
13. Pistols with leg switch
14. Pistols with jump
15. Pistols with legs switch and jump
Mark Lauren

Love Iron Matrons!!

I'm working on this list:

1. Sumo Squats
2. Squats
3. Overhead Squats
4. Y Squats- perform a regular squat with your arms held at the Y position (EFX)
5. Back Lunges
6. Side Lunges
7. Bulgarian Split Squats with arms overhead
8.1-legged Squats off knee height surface
9. Assisted 1-legged Squats
10. Assisted Pistols
11. One-legged Squats
12. Pistols
13. Pistols with leg switch
14. Pistols with jump
15. Pistols with legs switch and jump
Mark Lauren

Love Iron Matrons!!
Ooh, good addition of pistols, Justine.
Karen, is this a list ramping up to pistol squats?
I can get down into a pistol squat, can't get back up yet...

I don't know what the wrist tweak is from... it's really minor, I'm just laying off while it's still minor... plus, I prefer a deload-by-choice than a forced deload, know what I mean?
I can't wait to hit LWF 2 once this wrist is all better... but all those ballistic movements, hang cleans, etc., are not happening right now. Playing it safe.

Ooh, good addition of pistols, Justine.
Karen, is this a list ramping up to pistol squats?
I can get down into a pistol squat, can't get back up yet...

I don't know what the wrist tweak is from... it's really minor, I'm just laying off while it's still minor... plus, I prefer a deload-by-choice than a forced deload, know what I mean?
I can't wait to hit LWF 2 once this wrist is all better... but all those ballistic movements, hang cleans, etc., are not happening right now. Playing it safe.

Right, ramping up to a pistol squat. I'm nowhere near a pistol squat. Still working on it.

I can only even attempt a pistol whilst standing on a box (so I presume it's weak hip flexors which are the problem - I shoud have done more Barre work!)

Roz - I totally agree about resting / deloading when needed. I never seem to need it between meso 1 & 2 of STS - but then I'll take it halfway through 2. Sensible not to make a minor wrist injury into something more serious.

Roz, Justine, how is your program going. This is my last two weeks of Nia. I will taking a Summer break from heavy lifting. Start back in the Fall. How is the wrist doing, Roz? I really like my deload weeks, gives me a chance to experiment. Hope all is well.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking, Karen. I know I can come to you when I need a pat on the lats! :D
Today was my first day back and my wrist is feeling much better. In fact, I felt I could have lifted yesterday, but I just wanted to play it safe. It was upper body, then I did the Cathe Live band blast with weights, which was great. I don't normally add on that much, but I felt good. Tired, but good to go. I'm going to take a break from Cathe on Demand so I can play with LWF2 in a few days once I know my wrist is really solid. Too much to choose from stresses me out.
What's on the menu for summer break? And how do you experiment during deload weeks?
Roz
P.S. I've finally found a use for my 3-lb dumbbells -- they make great toddler toys! ;) Though, to be honest, I do use them in workouts with rotator cuff work, etc.

Oh, and Karen, how's the Whole 30 program? I don't know anything about it... how are you feeling? Are you still trying to get down to contest weight?

My Whole 30 ends this weekend. I will start adding foods (dairy, some carbs) to see if they cause any problems. Looking forward to expanding my diet. Contest weight? Will see how it goes after the food additions. Thanks for asking,

I love this thread - you Iron Matrons have me doing things I'd never otherwise try (and there's nothing like a bit of competition - 235lb squat...pistol squat....)
Glad the wrist is better Roz. Upper body and THEN a Cathe Live. Go Roz! I'm not renewing my Cathe Live / On Demand next month either - although I'll probably re-subscribe when the new workouts come out, so only a few months off.

Karen - will you be lifting weights faster this summer? I'm curious to know what you've got planned. I love LWF2. Some of the 30 minute ones have left me floored. In a good way, of course. I'm not so sure when I'll get round to the Get Stronger Faster bit, although I'm starting to use the bio-feedback technique (it works with housework - 'my ROM has decreased, must put the vacuum cleaner away').

I'm doing Mark Lauren's EFX once a week - it makes a good change from everything else. There's a move on the second workout that I just can't 'get' - the one handed push-up where you grab your inner thigh with the other hand. Feels all wrong. Apart from that, I love him! (Nice to watch, too ;) ) I may have to get more of his stuff (recommendations?)

Oh, and 3lb dumbells? Great doorstops.

I love this thread - you Iron Matrons have me doing things I'd never otherwise try (and there's nothing like a bit of competition - 235lb squat...pistol squat....)
Glad the wrist is better Roz. Upper body and THEN a Cathe Live. Go Roz! I'm not renewing my Cathe Live / On Demand next month either - although I'll probably re-subscribe when the new workouts come out, so only a few months off.

Karen - will you be lifting weights faster this summer? I'm curious to know what you've got planned. I love LWF2. Some of the 30 minute ones have left me floored. In a good way, of course. I'm not so sure when I'll get round to the Get Stronger Faster bit, although I'm starting to use the bio-feedback technique (it works with housework - 'my ROM has decreased, must put the vacuum cleaner away').

I'm doing Mark Lauren's EFX once a week - it makes a good change from everything else. There's a move on the second workout that I just can't 'get' - the one handed push-up where you grab your inner thigh with the other hand. Feels all wrong. Apart from that, I love him! (Nice to watch, too ;) ) I may have to get more of his stuff (recommendations?)

LWF2 will be on the agenda. I've tried a couple of them. I agree, they leave me floored. I will be doing Mark Lauren as well. Then in the Fall, kicking it up a notch with a mix of Nia. Haven't decided what else will go in the mix. Looking forward to all of it. Love your doorstop, Justine.

P.S. I've finally found a use for my 3-lb dumbbells -- they make great toddler toys! ;) Though, to be honest, I do use them in workouts with rotator cuff work, etc.

Roz, the 3lb dumbbells are my DD1's go-to workout tools! Unfortunately for me she also likes my gliding discs and my stability ball, so we do end up fighting over those! ;)

Justine, never underestimate the importance of being able to keep your door open to let fresh air in during a tough workout! ;)

But seriously, besides rotator cuff work they do also come in handy as heel wedges for lunges and squats. :cool:

Lisa

Since this has turned into more than just a Nia thread I'll add my comments so far about LWF2. I've done a couple of the 10 minute bodyweight ones and one of the dumbell(kettlebell?) ones. Bent Steel. First- I LOVE, LOVE the names for all of them! What a fun, creative gal. My workout journal is going to read so cool. Second- one of the things I notice is that while some of them include squat thrusts there are NO burpees! On the one hand that makes me really, really happy. (The other hand just knows how good they are for total body work and might just sub them in). I also don't remember seeing tons of high impact moves like endless tuck jumps either. Some of the ones I can't wait to try on vacation (my in-law's lake house has a killer set of stairs up from the lake) are the ones using the stairs; The Social Climber, Sole Survivor, and The Summit! Oh- and I use my "baby" DBs as extra weight when I can't jump to the next DB up.... just hold 2 at once in one had like Cathe does in Cathe Live. So a 15 and a 2 or 3 together until I'm ready for the 20's!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.