Nia Shanks

Dmerz - sounds idyllic LWF2 by a lake. Lucky you. You get to sit on the top step and stare out at the view AFTER you've done the w/o

I hadn't noticed the lack of burpees...but now I know why I'm liking the workouts so much!

My latest 'find' is Simple and Sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline (sp?) - amazing kettlebell book. I now want to do a 24kg Turkish get-up.
On top of all those other things on my list.....

I read Pavel's flexibility books about 10+ yrs back: Super Joints and Beyond Stretching. Love his stuff! : )

I have a 20# 30. 40. and a 50...I used them for cardio on off days while doing sts..I seem to suck on technique( as usual) and beat the hell out of my wrist on cleans!!! I scratched my watch doing them ( I know..who wears a watch while lifting??) I think about trying to incorporate them again but am pretty happy now for the time being doing a body part a day

LOL:D:D
I do forget to take mine off sometimes...
As to technique, I suggest video tapping yourself after viewing instructors such as Michael skogg and Anthony
diluglio. They are the best I have seen and listened to so far.:)

Tom try vidselfie, you might realise your form is not that bad:)
Well, in fact I need to do it myself next time I am back on KB.

Last edited:
I'd really like a double 16kg. I'm also going to be needing heavier than 22kg fairly soon. Technique makes a huge difference to how heavy you can swing- and it's all in the glutes. So if you can deadlift heavy, you can swing heavy. Simple and sinister has been a huge help. I don't use the bells for overhead stuff quite so much - but I remember bruised wrists when I first started!!!

Karen, it's due to be 30c in England this week- I think that's around 100f....and we're really not used to it here, so it'll be early workouts for me xx

I always wear a band to protect my wrist, when I'm working with kettlebells. Inevitably, I mess up in a snatch, and bang my wrist.

A suggestion for wrist protection is Evo Shield. They are in the baseball section. You can use the self molding insert or not. They have some that have an added wrist strap but I just bought plain ones that fit tight. I wear the pocket side on top of the forearm like baseball players so I get two layers of padding (I skipped the self molding inserts).

Just a suggestion!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

A suggestion for wrist protection is Evo Shield. They are in the baseball section. You can use the self molding insert or not. They have some that have an added wrist strap but I just bought plain ones that fit tight. I wear the pocket side on top of the forearm like baseball players so I get two layers of padding (I skipped the self molding inserts).

Just a suggestion!

Going to try to paste the link from my phone http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/pro...4414014.24586626.13313438&categoryId=29801116

From what I remember Justine, there is quite a bit of repetition in these books. So I would rec that you read either Relax into Stretch or Beyond Stretching.
Thanks for the reminder to go back and have a read! : )

Elsie - at first I misread your post and thought they were one book :oops:
Anyway, I've ended up getting Super Joints (simply because the others were stupidly expensive to get in the UK). I'll report back!

Did ya get your bells, then? Which ones????

I'm currently learning the 'naked' turkish get-up, but balancing a yoga block on my fist whilst doing it (thanks, Pavel!) - trickier than it first appears....

From what I remember Justine, there is quite a bit of repetition in these books. So I would rec that you read either Relax into Stretch or Beyond Stretching.
Thanks for the reminder to go back and have a read! : )

I have a couple of his books, I'm going to have to check these out. Sounds interesting.

Using a yoga block? That just sounds hard. Now I can't wait to read these books.

Did ya get your bells, then? Which ones????
Alas, no. He didn't have the ones I wanted anymore. Oh well, I'll hold out for the right deal. In the meantime, I need to give my DBs a little love with LWF2. She has bent presses and lots of other KB moves shown with DBs, too. I have a zillion workouts to go through without adding more options to the brew. Also, I've had some decent luck doing DB swings (holding the end of the DB as Nia suggests). Mine are adjustable, so I could actually load one side heavier... hmmm... hadn't thought of that before!

Oh, Justine, that's brilliant! I may have to grab one of those...
But I will work through some non-KB LWFs first, I think. I just did ManBearPig (barbell under 10) -- holy moly!! :eek: Put this one near the top of your to-do list! (Or don't, but, you know what I mean.)
I was surprised that the OH squat was the limiting factor... but that may be because I subbed out pistol squats for 3 sets of my 5x8 reverse lunges on Tuesday... still can't walk properly! I have those new-move crazy DOMS.

This from the woman who squats 235 x 5! ;)
The 3 sets of pistols were subs for three of my reverse lunge sets in BBA. The arch of my foot has been paining me during those, so I'm doing some subbing.
ManBearPig is sorta a BB complex -- no pistols involved! :)

I'm humbled by both of you! I can get nowhere near 235, or a pistol (unless I do it from a step with my leg dangling pathetically, rather than out in front).

I'll try ManBearPig. Looks a goodie. I did Angry Lawn Gnome (KB under 10) - fun, and not too taxing. I think she has the levels just right - advanced certainly is, and intermediate makes a good warm-up.

Roz, no need to get bells:

Just don't try a swing with one!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.