anyone do tracy anderson's workouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flack schmack, big deal...that was more for my buddy who, does Tracy Anderson when she wants to get cut, but then whines about her weight the rest of the year. Fair point, she is actually stronger than a locomotive...I'll give her that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're very funny :)

On the contrary, looks can be deceiving, in the program I gained very good core strength & my posture improved immensely. I don't see you as a Tracy Anderson type of instructor. I think it would be easier to define The Tracy Anderson Method by what it is not. It is non-traditional, non-conformist. You can't define it by the moves, they don't really have any names, besides the attitude & arabesque. It's something you more or less have to follow. Not surprisingly this keeps it fresh. I think it will be interesting to find out whether or not her approach to specific trouble zones works. So far, in my limited experience with Metamorphosis I would have to say yes, it does. I don't think the name calling or rudeness enhances the argument, there's no need for that.

Question to you 112toguru,

After defining the method above, how this method help women to age gracefully and smoothly?
I am referring to bone density. Since Heavy lifting is known, proven to increase bone density to
avoid osteoroposis?:cool::cool:

I do not do ballet. I do dance though. My posture was good before getting active and has also
improved since lifting both light and heavy. I would state heavy lifting with barbell has been the
best help.

Hope to hear your answer to my question above:cool:

Last edited:
Here's a thing in my mind. I think many of us do naturally gravitate to what fits us, and there can certainly be a component to choosing a trainer by their natural body type. I know I'll never have a ballerina build, and that's fine with me by this point in my life and I don't try to train my body into something it's not. (although I do admit to sometimes being sensitive to those type of comments TA is known for that women should be as tiny as possible).

I would except that many of her fans are ectomorphs.I think I have both endomorph and mesomorph tendencies (hourglass type figure, think Betty Paige), certainly no ectomorph, and from what I hear about TA, I have no interest in checking out her stuff. I really think someone with a build like mine wouldn't get the same results that the natural ballerina type would get. Plus, I ain't about starving myself which I suppose is a huge percentage of her results. :( Here I am, gravitating to a program that suits my body type, but also shying away from a trainer that is nothing like me. That's ok, in my book, too, because these type of people give me inspiration of what I could possibly be like, and make me work harder. Kudos to those who don't need that kind of visual motivation and affirmation though!

I like how Cathe has all different kinds of body types in her workouts! To me that is great motivation to see how different people of naturally different builds can develop over time!

I agree with you mkeefe.
Years ago when I decided to change my lifestyle I did not choose my workout depending on the trainer look.
What I truly went for was the motivational skill of the trainer. That is me, my opinion. I pretty much think the same.:):):):)

That being said, I run miles away from ANY "trainer" claiming women shouldn't lift heavy.
In fact this is enough for me to *not* even try any service provided. Well harsh statement but I am honest.
Another reason I am not even impressed with TA method is exercise physiology negligence!:cool::eek::eek:.
Lack of knowledge I should probably quote! I do not care if anyone is impressed by her cuts!

It is true that cathe do cater for various body type because she is IMHO versatile and naturally
her product reflect that. Plus she is professional, run classes and somehow she is gifted to read mind of class attendees:p:p
Even the mind of us working out at home lol. I believe that contributed to her success.;)

As to ballerina body, my body type would not and I am very happy with what I have.:):)
Let's look at the positive side of this...A ballerina body type can hardly hardly hardly gain curvy symetry. They do complain too:p:p:p
How on earth can Miss paltrow gain curvy hip and muscular legs like Nicole wilkins for example . It ain't gonna happen.
Two different body shape...also different nutrition lol:D:D:D, different skeletons.

mkeefe, Your post is really making me thinking. I am looking for somebody to train me but I am very selective.
I know what I want. I will be getting back to this discussion when I manage to hire someone or buddy with someone I could learn from!

Last edited:
Question to you 112toguru,

After defining the method above, how this method help women to age gracefully and smoothly?
I am referring to bone density. Since Heavy lifting is known, proven to increase bone density to
avoid osteoroposis?:cool::cool:

I do not do ballet. I do dance though. My posture was good before getting active and has also
improved since lifting both light and heavy. I would state heavy lifting with barbell has been the
best help.

Hope to hear your answer to my question above:cool:

The simple answer is, you do not need any special method or piece of equipment to maintain your bone density & avoid osteoporosis, an active lifestyle would do that. You could garden & walk. I can get quite the workout some days just going up & down the stairs! Even cleaning the house can be an excellent weekly workout (I should try it, lol.) Over the years, as long as you avoid becoming completely sedentary and try to maintain a healthy diet, that's all anyone actually "needs".

I thought you actually might like a more formal ballet or barre kind of workout, with form & structure as your main interest, seems like it would suit you. Can't recommend any, I'm only now just starting to look at those. I do think a practice like that or Tracy Anderson's could help women especially, age gracefully. Cheers.

the funny thing about Tracy body type with the skinny arms/legs well that's my natural shape and I hated being bird limbs LOL. I like not having toothpick arms and legs. The only thing Tracy has said I do agree with his running will make your butt smaller. I use to be the skinny running girl but still had a bubble butt - but running kept it smaller than it is now. I use to do the high rep lift 3- 5lb pink dumbbells back in the 90's her stuff he old school - dance and light weights. She does seem to put new angles on old mat workout. I use to do the million leg lifts, donkey kick etc with ankle weights. I still had tiny bird legs :rolleyes: The type of workout does not build legs and arms. SO I guess since I dont' want the body that people that pick Tracy want. I pick heavy weights and kick ass cardio (love afterburn, crossfire etc) and off course spinning. Tracy says spinning bulks your thighs - who knows it just might cause it gives me muscular sexy no longer bird legs.

So if your are already hulky arm/leg girl then high rep dance workouts like tracy, barre and stuff probably are what you are looking for

I have no dog in the tracy fight cause her type of workouts just don't interest me - I did all the old school workouts 20 years ago LOL

So I dont' hate her BUT I do think her emphasis on little bitty can be damaging to someone that's only going to be little bitty by starving themselves - I watch my x sister-in-law back in the 90's want to be my natural size. She was 5 inch taller and curvy. SHe went on diet pills etc and get my size. She ended up in the hospital several times with dehydration.

I read Tracy stuff years ago she advocated 700 calorie diet and 90 min of workout. I think that's total bull sh*t :mad: I thing that is as stupid and dangerous as the HCG diet junk.

We see young women all the time in the ER that have eating disorder and excessive workout regiment trying to change their bodies.

The simple answer is, you do not need any special method or piece of equipment to maintain your bone density & avoid osteoporosis, an active lifestyle would do that. You could garden & walk. I can get quite the workout some days just going up & down the stairs! Even cleaning the house can be an excellent weekly workout (I should try it, lol.) Over the years, as long as you avoid becoming completely sedentary and try to maintain a healthy diet, that's all anyone actually "needs".

I thought you actually might like a more formal ballet or barre kind of workout, with form & structure as your main interest, seems like it would suit you. Can't recommend any, I'm only now just starting to look at those. I do think a practice like that or Tracy Anderson's could help women especially, age gracefully. Cheers.

I am not convinced by your answer. House hold, walk...is not enough to build and improve bone density.
IMO, TA is not helping women in resolving image issue nor is she contributing to helping them to age gracefully.

As to barre, I have done all cathe's barre segment and programs and liked them.

Knowing myself, I am 100% sure it will never be my main interest. I could add more barre workout from
other instructors though. I am just not a dance-emphasis workout lover.

the funny thing about Tracy body type with the skinny arms/legs well that's my natural shape and I hated being bird limbs LOL. I like not having toothpick arms and legs. The only thing Tracy has said I do agree with his running will make your butt smaller. I use to be the skinny running girl but still had a bubble butt - but running kept it smaller than it is now. I use to do the high rep lift 3- 5lb pink dumbbells back in the 90's her stuff he old school - dance and light weights. She does seem to put new angles on old mat workout. I use to do the million leg lifts, donkey kick etc with ankle weights. I still had tiny bird legs :rolleyes: The type of workout does not build legs and arms. SO I guess since I dont' want the body that people that pick Tracy want. I pick heavy weights and kick ass cardio (love afterburn, crossfire etc) and off course spinning. Tracy says spinning bulks your thighs - who knows it just might cause it gives me muscular sexy no longer bird legs.

So if your are already hulky arm/leg girl then high rep dance workouts like tracy, barre and stuff probably are what you are looking for

I have no dog in the tracy fight cause her type of workouts just don't interest me - I did all the old school workouts 20 years ago LOL

So I dont' hate her BUT I do think her emphasis on little bitty can be damaging to someone that's only going to be little bitty by starving themselves - I watch my x sister-in-law back in the 90's want to be my natural size. She was 5 inch taller and curvy. SHe went on diet pills etc and get my size. She ended up in the hospital several times with dehydration.

I read Tracy stuff years ago she advocated 700 calorie diet and 90 min of workout. I think that's total bull sh*t :mad: I thing that is as stupid and dangerous as the HCG diet junk.

We see young women all the time in the ER that have eating disorder and excessive workout regiment trying to change their bodies.
I think it's the person who attempts the 700 calorie diet that's stupid. It's like believing those lashes are natural in Mascara commercials.
It's an alternative way of working out. That's all it is. An option. What i find interesting, is the reaction it seems to spark from people.
Like I said, I certainly am not against strength training, or an Athletic build. I'm open to any kind of training.
I'm not contesting the merits of strength training. I'm just saying this stuff has it's place too. But what this discussion highlights is intolerance. Do you see it?

Last edited:
I think it's the person who attempts the 700 calorie diet that's stupid. It's like believing those lashes are natural in Mascara commercials.
It's an alternative way of working out. That's all it is. An option. What i find interesting, is the reaction it seems to spark from people.
Like I said, I certainly am not against strength training, or an Athletic build. I'm open to any kind of training.
I'm not contesting the merits of strength training. I'm just saying this stuff has it's place too. But what this discussion highlights is intolerance. Do you see it?

I get what you are saying and I WISH everyone had critical thinking skills and would make educated informed decision but sadly they're are people that will believe anything. I've been in health care for a couple of decades and a BIG advocate of clean eating and exercise for a life time is the best preventive medicine against disease and aging . I wish people would stop wanting a "fix" and realize that it a lifestyle of healthy eating and a exercise regiment you like for life

I work with ladies that have had a lifetime of quick fix diets and short term workout ideas. They are all over 30 obese and diabetic. I spend more time educating them and getting them to change their thinking regarding health. So my frustration just comes from someone with a passion for helping people get and stay healthy. ( I do this as a volunteer unpaid on my off time) My regular job is RN in ER. I hope in the future to find a way to make the preventive care my full time job. I love seeing a women finally accept that it's a life time journey. They have to change their mind set and realize it may take a couple of years to get a healthy weight but then it will become easy to maintain that healthy weight. They have to deprogram from a Tracy like program

You and I may never fall for the crap but sadly too many have and will continue to looks for the miracle plan. I'm all about personal choice so I want ever be the "workout dvd" police but I still have a personal opinion against dangerous crap coming from someone that represents themselves as a fitness/health authority

I doubt you will change peoples minds about TRacy she has been around since @2008 and she has been discussed way to much LOL

Lol toothpick legs:D:D:D:D:D:D
She thinks her body type is what most women should strive for:cool:

Hope you are happy with your muscular sexy no longer bird legs.
I do spin on average once a week and my thighs are not betting bigger:D, instead I am gaining
definitions. It took me time to see visible improvement in my legs.

I personnaly am not desperately looking for any barre workout. Neither am i complaining for any water retention or hulky arm!

Enjoy your muscular legs!

You and I may never fall for the crap but sadly too many have and will continue to looks for the miracle plan. I'm all about personal choice so I want ever be the "workout dvd" police but I still have a personal opinion against dangerous crap coming from someone that represents themselves as a fitness/health authority

I doubt you will change peoples minds about TRacy she has been around since @2008 and she has been discussed way to much LOL

I can understand your frustration!
It is all about a mindset. Mindset for people to stay away from crap (ridiculously restricted calories)

Isn't it wonderful that we're all different? It's amazing how diverse we are. It's worth celebrating that we all chase different ideals. Thank goodness we're all attracted to different aesthetics.....otherwise our species would die out!

Whether we're competing in an ultra marathon, chasing our grandchildren round the park, dancing the lead in swan lake, deadlifting 1.5x our body weight, vacuuming the stairs, knocking out X77, chilling with a foam roller......at least we're not sitting on the couch eating twinkies (or for fellow Brits = sitting on the sofa eating mini rolls).

And, obviously we all care enough to disagree, which makes us all soooooooooooo much healthier than those who couldn't give a ****

Isn't it wonderful that we're all different? It's amazing how diverse we are. It's worth celebrating that we all chase different ideals. Thank goodness we're all attracted to different aesthetics.....otherwise our species would die out!

Whether we're competing in an ultra marathon, chasing our grandchildren round the park, dancing the lead in swan lake, deadlifting 1.5x our body weight, vacuuming the stairs, knocking out X77, chilling with a foam roller......at least we're not sitting on the couch eating twinkies (or for fellow Brits = sitting on the sofa eating mini rolls).

And, obviously we all care enough to disagree, which makes us all soooooooooooo much healthier than those who couldn't give a ****

TOTALLY!!!

AMEN!!!

I am not convinced by your answer. House hold, walk...is not enough to build and improve bone density.
IMO, TA is not helping women in resolving image issue nor is she contributing to helping them to age gracefully.

As to barre, I have done all cathe's barre segment and programs and liked them.

Knowing myself, I am 100% sure it will never be my main interest. I could add more barre workout from
other instructors though. I am just not a dance-emphasis workout lover.

You could read about Jack LaLanne, it's old school & some would say "dumbed down" exercise in a day when we have all these wonderful video instructors & technology that brings our fitness gurus to us on demand. I think he had it right though from the start and he agreed, "many of our aches and pains come from lack of physical activity." He was an innovator of his time with a strong message that is as true today as it was then.

I see Tracy as an innovator of our time.

I have been with Cathe since the days of VHS so it has been while. I have completed STS 2x and I still love and appreciate TA. I found Meta Omni quite challenging. I too think Tracey is an innovator. according to my MD and my SIL who is the Dean of a medical school and a runner bone density means you should be doing weight bearing exercises and that includes walking. You do not need weights. A close friend who is now 7o and has been a walker for most of her life has regular bone density scans and her MD is always impressed by what he sees.

I have not followed the diet. It took me 14 days instead of 10 to finish the first part of Level 1. I only managed 7 cardios. Only 1 was her Dance Cardio. The pants have been so loose they keep sliding off. I think the lady knows what she's doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Cupcake good for you, I'm so glad you've seen results. Being a hardcore Cathlete myself I thought I'd try something different for a change and have started Tonique. I guess Sylwia's method is similar to TA with the bazillion reps and holy crap it's challenging! I'm sore like nobodies business LOL!! I'm going to try stick to it for a month and by then I'm sure I'll be begging to return to my Cathe workouts...

I was reading all the comments, and really find it all so interesting!
I used to look like TA body type after losing 70 pounds but was constantly told I was to skinny. But I felt good. But now I am older and gained a lot back but I am trying so hard to lose the weight it is difficult to do. But with Cathe last year I lost 8 pounds but went down two pants sizes yet I was strong and felt good. I found that any aerobics workout I used to do in my 20's is easy now in my 40's. I gained bone density ( I was diagnosed with osteopenia, at age 37 before I discovered Cathe) in two years my doctor is impressed! I did end up having set backs several times so my problems are just headaches and hormones and well PF a different number of things really set me back again. I am working on it still.
But onto my thoughts since I feel I have been in both sides of the spectrum on body size. I think that both TA and Cathe type workouts has a place in everyone's fitness library! I mean really isn't fitness about being well balanced?
I see TA workouts as being something that may add a spin to the older workouts perhaps? And I feel she may be working on the intricate smaller muscles that perhaps NEED work. And Cathe and other beloved heavy weight workouts get the bigger muscles. Just like I think HIIT has its place I don't think it is good to have it every day, for anyone. I thought that HIIT was created to shorten the workouts to be over and done with yet some people are doing them fire an hour. To me that is confusing because wasn't it designed to get in and get out? And don't most experts say not to do to many in a week? So then everyone takes out the longer endurance aerobics exercises now! To me that is not good either! Just because HIIT is good does not make endurance aerobics bad. So there again high reps are good and low reps are good it's all about confusion right?
Or balance? Giving our muscles ALL muscles some workouts.
So I think doing some TA and Cathe and some jogging some weights heavy and some light weights and some mat work, without weights, it's all good! If you can find time to do it. That way our bodies will be the best it will be naturally. It will become the shape it is just a healthier version of the you, you are meant to be. So to me listening to fitness instructors and how every year there are different and new stuff coming out its like eating an orange... Everyone has something good to offer. You eat it take it in what's good or worth something or what you can use or creditable digest it what's not worth it or not what you feel is healthy and garbage or just a fad then like the seeds of an orange spit it out. No reason to swallow everything. But no reason to turn our backs on everything either. It should not be all or nothing or all one thing. There is a lot different people can offer! That's what makes us different and it can help us make our own awesome fitness program!!
Happy fitness!!

Wow Cupcake good for you, I'm so glad you've seen results. Being a hardcore Cathlete myself I thought I'd try something different for a change and have started Tonique. I guess Sylwia's method is similar to TA with the bazillion reps and holy crap it's challenging! I'm sore like nobodies business LOL!! I'm going to try stick to it for a month and by then I'm sure I'll be begging to return to my Cathe workouts...
Have fun! It's ridiculous, I have had to keep tugging my pants up. Same ones I wear all the time! I was sitting on the carpet in front of the mirror last night, and I have to say the thighs and legs do look quite nice. I wanted to see for myself if she could give results and for the amount of effort it took that's pretty good return for my time. 240 leg lifts x 10 workouts wasn't that bad :)
I just had to see if she could deliver. It was funny because my sister bought the Jane Fonda workout and we did it last night, I remember being in grade school when I used to join her doing that thing. The leg lifts were so easy compared to what TA puts me through. I was laughing and telling Jane..." You dare challenge 240 leg lifts?!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.