Pure Strength, Pure Love

jusca

I'd never thought the day would come when I would slack off on cardio in favor of doing weight training. Pure Strength puts a smile on my face every time I head to the weight room in my garage at 9 PM. The funky music gets me hyped up. The old set reminds me of the 80s (something I don't know much about but hey it still feels nostalgic). Best of all, I get crazy DOMs the next day. Love it. lol

Between PS & Hip Hop Abs, these are the only workouts I truly will never, ever part with. I can do them everyday for years to come and still look forward to working out to them. :)

Last edited:
I've never done pure strength because I never bought those dvds. Now that I have on-demand and after reading what you wrote, I am going to try these next week. Thanks for the idea.

PS Nostalgia

That was my first Cathe strength series...I was 30. It wasn't new at the time but It was my first one. I came from the Firm website so a split series of just strength training was new to me.
I didn't know much about weights. But I can tell you it worked. One day the X ray technician I was helping pointed at my arms and said cute arms! :D
I looked and yes I had biceps. I remember thinking," When did that happen?"
My favorite now is Xtrain Burn sets. When I used Burn sets the first time around, I wondered if I would ever need another set after it...cuz it IS JUST RIIIGHT.

Now you've all got me intrigued too. Like Firemedic, I'm going to make the most of having them On Demand - that headband had put me off buying them ;) Unlike Jusca, I remember the 80s only too well......
Any advice as to how best to use the dvds? What sort of percentage of 1RM do they use? I'm guessing pretty heavy?
I'm really enjoying exploring all the dvds of Cathe's which I never bought. I thought I had most of them - but I'm amazed by some gems I missed. Thanks for mentioning this set.

Now you've all got me intrigued too. Like Firemedic, I'm going to make the most of having them On Demand - that headband had put me off buying them ;) Unlike Jusca, I remember the 80s only too well......
Any advice as to how best to use the dvds? What sort of percentage of 1RM do they use? I'm guessing pretty heavy?
I'm really enjoying exploring all the dvds of Cathe's which I never bought. I thought I had most of them - but I'm amazed by some gems I missed. Thanks for mentioning this set.

These are the first 3 weeks of a rotation I did with Pure Strength & Cardio Hits - if you like step.

week 1

Pure Strength Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
Step Works
Pure Strength Strong Legs & Abs
Step Works
Pure Strength Back, Biceps & Abs
Step Works
Off

Week 2

Power Max
Power Max
Power Max
Off

week 3

Step Fit
Step Fit
Step Fit
Off

112toguru and Gibbee -
Thank you! I'm going to try one of the upper body Pure Strength tonight. I LOVE ZZTop :eek:

as someone that remembers the 80s the video is not that dated :p It has a 90's feel. I remember when the sports bra no shirt thing started being worn in public. I was a runner and still kept a shirt on my very conservative upbringing wouldn't let me hang it all out I notice no high top shoes so a bit later in the 90's maybe.

I really like the workouts it takes me back to being in my 20's. Cathe and I were so young then :D

Last edited:
OK, so I tried Back, Biceps, Abs. LOVE the Rolling Stones :p
First time through, so my weights weren't spot on - but I can see I'll use this series a bit.
Cathe is tiny! She is so narrow hipped. It was weird to watch her. I wonder what happened to the 2 girls in the back ground? Good to see Cede was there in the early dvds.
Does anyone know which was Cathe's first ever video? I want to have a nostalgia rotation.

Cathe put out a few step videos in the beginning. that's what she started with, then branched out. I'm not sure which one was her first, however, I have all of them. She is soo tiny in these videos. Let's face it, I was much smaller then as well.

OK, so I tried Back, Biceps, Abs. LOVE the Rolling Stones :p
First time through, so my weights weren't spot on - but I can see I'll use this series a bit.
Cathe is tiny! She is so narrow hipped. It was weird to watch her. I wonder what happened to the 2 girls in the back ground? Good to see Cede was there in the early dvds.
Does anyone know which was Cathe's first ever video? I want to have a nostalgia rotation.

please post your "Blast from the Past" rotation if you find the title of the first very video. oldies are the best to me. :)

I love the oldies, too. PS/Legs remains one of my favorite leg workouts (I use ankle weights for the floor segment).

I think Hope, Pat, and Lisa are in PS. I loved Hope---she modified some of the moves in IMAX 1, for which I was extremely grateful at the time. Funny, I can now get though those intervals with no problem and I'm at least 15 years older (in my early 50s). Back in the day, I frequently joined Hope.

Cathe's first-time ever was Step N Motion. She never released it on DVD (though I have the VHS), but I remember she created a download of it a few years ago that cost about $5.00. I don't know if it's available anymore. It's really quite amazing - it came out in the late '80s, and even then she incorporated some toning work!

You can do the step n motion on Cathe on demand. I saw it the other day and think I will give it a try. I love Cathe's older step workouts as much as the newer ones.

On Cathe's FB page in the "about" section, it has a timeline of most of her major releases starting with Step in Motion in 1989. Pure Strength was released in 2001! It does have a 90's vibe to it so I was surprised when I saw 2001. Maybe it's just me but 2001 doesn't seem that long ago..lol.

Jusca, you mentioned you could never give up Pure Strength and Hip Hop Abs. Is that Shaun T? What's it like? Which ones do you like?

This is a real old goodie...

I like to do this one from time to time for:

• Rep range 10. straight and forward.
  • strong leg segment is another known as Mean leg:D:), Sit and stand:):)
  • The resting time leave rooms to maximise the weight load;);)
  • There is room for variation for leg segments for step ups. I can even go really slow.
Wish I had discovered cathe at that baby age:):)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.