Pure Strength, Pure Love

On Cathe's FB page in the "about" section, it has a timeline of most of her major releases starting with Step in Motion in 1989. Pure Strength was released in 2001! It does have a 90's vibe to it so I was surprised when I saw 2001. Maybe it's just me but 2001 doesn't seem that long ago..lol.

The reviews on VideoFitness go back to 1998 for the Pure Strength series, so I'm thinking that list must be a bit off. Maybe it was first released on DVD in 2001, with the VHS release in 1998? The fashion of Pure Strength is very similar to how people were dressing in The FIRM's 1996-1998 releases (like Maximum Body Shaping with Tracie Long). I'm surprised to see Cathe wearing the headband in the late 90's, and the set definitely hasn't aged all that well. But the workouts in Pure Strength are great, classic weight-training that get serious results, aren't they? Sometimes one just wants to go back to basics, and PS is awesome for those times!

Anyone remember Bess Motta's workouts back in the day on Showtime or public access? Now THAT is some 80's nostalgia stuff right there! I showed them to my best friend one evening when we were bored, and she could NOT stop laughing. The endless leg lifts, the neck rolls that should have induced whiplash in any individual foolish enough to believe they induced fitness, the bouncy forward bends that make the spinal erectors ache in sympathy. I also caught Sandahl Bergman's old workout video on YouTube, as well. No, not the one she did for The FIRM, but her own workout. Talk about hilarity...but that chick was FIT. I don't know, though, doing forward rolls in a warm-up as a grown woman in my living room would strike me as a tad dangerous. ;)

And to answer the inevitable questions, I am a child of the Eighties and I indeed have no life, but I am full of useless trivia facts to pass on here.

as someone that remembers the 80s the video is not that dated :p It has a 90's feel. I remember when the sports bra no shirt thing started being worn in public. I was a runner and still kept a shirt on my very conservative upbringing wouldn't let me hang it all out I notice no high top shoes so a bit later in the 90's maybe.

I really like the workouts it takes me back to being in my 20's. Cathe and I were so young then :D

I still won't wear a sports bra only in public. For one thing, I would not be the most head-turning chick in that look. I know my visual strengths, abs aren't really it. Neither are my legs, so shorts are out, too. I do like my tush, but that's what pedal pushers with a little Spandex are for. :) Like you said, my upbringing just won't let me wear anything bearing much skin (legs or abs). I see nothing wrong with it, I don't mind other people dressing however they want to, it just isn't me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.