Has anyone done STS 6X per wk for 7 wks?

thanks for the update DirtDiva...it sounds like it went great! I really appreciate the detail and you have confirmed my initial thoughts about doing the daily STS schedule concerning weight loss and muscle def. I look forward to starting STS again...however it looks like it will have to be next year as I am still sitting on my bootay waiting for my shoulder to heal (clock ticking :confused:)

When I can even start exercising I am going to have to build back up again...thankfully, I have not gained weight but lost 4#, however I have definitely lost strength and cardio endurance. Hopefully, by the end of Aug., I can get going again..just in time for the Low Impact series!

Cheers!

thanks for the update DirtDiva...it sounds like it went great! I really appreciate the detail and you have confirmed my initial thoughts about doing the daily STS schedule concerning weight loss and muscle def. I look forward to starting STS again...however it looks like it will have to be next year as I am still sitting on my bootay waiting for my shoulder to heal (clock ticking :confused:)

When I can even start exercising I am going to have to build back up again...thankfully, I have not gained weight but lost 4#, however I have definitely lost strength and cardio endurance. Hopefully, by the end of Aug., I can get going again..just in time for the Low Impact series!

Cheers!

I want to thank you for starting this thread, its really been a break through summer because of it. I've been thinking about you, and hoping you have some real progress with your shoulder, its just cruel that you were nearly finished with STS and that had to happen. Its bad anyway you look at it.

Last night the group ride was all guys, which are the worst for me. I read about this *dread* factor with certain dvd's, well this is the ultimate dread factor for me. There is no down time, and you have to be completely on for about two hours. Some of the downhills were approaching speeds I was not comfortable with, and the ability to control the bike with upper body strength is what I'm so elated with. Ditto with climbs, the added muscle is making a real difference (especially in confidence). Thank you really...its all your doing!

DirtDiva's questions

Hi, DirtDiva - I am finally getting back to answer your questions -

first of all - when I've been steadily doing 6 STS workouts a week, I realize I haven't been eating 1000 calories. I'm still trying to eat quite low carb and really clean - but I've been famished and eating typically 1300-1800 calories a day. I try to just have starchy foods or treats 1-2 times a week, but even during a vacation week where I've had high calories and treats most every day, I didn't gain any weight. I calculate I've added 8 pounds of muscle in the past 6 months, and that much new muscle burns 280 more calories a day even at rest. I love it!

As to how I'm doing the weights in my 3 days on 1-2 days off undulating rotation - I'm using just one week in each Meso - for example Meso 3/Wk 1, all three discs - then Meso 2/Wk 1, all three discs. I've been going Meso 3, Meso 2, Meso 3, Meso 2, Meso 1 (in other words I'm cycling in Meso 1 just every other time right now.) I've been using the weights that are right for me in each meso set. For example, I squat anywhere from 105-115 in Meso 3 for 6-8 reps, but just 50 pounds for the sets of 15 reps in Meso 1, and maybe 60 pounds for the sets of 12 reps in Meso 2. Does that make sense?

I've been seeing really great breakthrough results - size, endurance, and also more cuts and definitions. I am doing cardio too - usually in the mornings, anywhere from 30-60 minutes, 5 or so times a week trying to alternate between interval work and steady state cardio. So my metabolism is turning back into a burning machine, LOL!

HOpe that helps. I want to do this for as long as I can.

Cheryl

As to how I'm doing the weights in my 3 days on 1-2 days off undulating rotation - I'm using just one week in each Meso - for example Meso 3/Wk 1, all three discs - then Meso 2/Wk 1, all three discs. I've been going Meso 3, Meso 2, Meso 3, Meso 2, Meso 1 (in other words I'm cycling in Meso 1 just every other time right now.) I've been using the weights that are right for me in each meso set. For example, I squat anywhere from 105-115 in Meso 3 for 6-8 reps, but just 50 pounds for the sets of 15 reps in Meso 1, and maybe 60 pounds for the sets of 12 reps in Meso 2. Does that make sense?

I've been seeing really great breakthrough results - size, endurance, and also more cuts and definitions. I am doing cardio too - usually in the mornings, anywhere from 30-60 minutes, 5 or so times a week trying to alternate between interval work and steady state cardio. So my metabolism is turning back into a burning machine, LOL!

HOpe that helps. I want to do this for as long as I can.

Cheryl

I am so intrigued! Lainabana also mentioned this way of doing STS, which I am definitely going to do next time around which will probably be this winter to early spring. Currently I am doing all Cathe strength workouts methodically in the morning followed with cycling in the evening or kettlebells, but I miss STS already. I had the best results on my last rotation ever. Thanks for getting back on this particular rotation, I really appreciate the different ways of doing STS.

i love how versatile the STS program is! right now, what I am doing is mixing Meso 1 & 2 in the same week in this manner: Mon - M1W1 Chest/Bis/Shoulders and also M1W1 Legs; Tues - M1W1 Back/Tris; Wed - M2W1 Legs; Thurs - M2W1 Chest/Shoul/Tris; Fri - M2W1 Back/Bis. I started my 2nd wk of this today so did M1W2. i'm going to try this for 4 wks and see how it goes, then my plan is to mix Meso 2 & 3 but haven't planned it all out just yet. I like this current set up because I get my legs done on Mon & Wed then i have a few good days rest before the weekend when I do a lot of cycling. my cardio during the week has been lighter than usual, but i still get out and walk the dog for 30-60 mins every day at the minimum.

I have only just found this thread. This looks amazing...just what I'm looking for! Can I check something please?...
When you say 6 times a week...would your week during meso 1 look like this?:
Mon: Chest, Shoulders and Biceps
Tuesday: BAck and Triceps
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders and Biceps,
Friday: Back and Triceps
Saturday: Legs
Sunday: Off

??
And for meso 2:

Mon: Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Back and Biceps
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
Friday: Legs
Saturday: Back and Biceps

?

Because my only problem with a rotation like this is that you are inevitably doing at least two consecutive days of upper body - in both mesoes. Although they are not the same body part. Are you finding that your muscles allow you to do this? I am itching to try this... but just wondered if any of you who have done this for a while have found that the back to back upper body days has been a problem. :) Thanks

I have only just found this thread. This looks amazing...just what I'm looking for! Can I check something please?...
When you say 6 times a week...would your week during meso 1 look like this?:
Mon: Chest, Shoulders and Biceps
Tuesday: BAck and Triceps
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders and Biceps,
Friday: Back and Triceps
Saturday: Legs
Sunday: Off

??
And for meso 2:

Mon: Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Back and Biceps
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
Friday: Legs
Saturday: Back and Biceps

?

Because my only problem with a rotation like this is that you are inevitably doing at least two consecutive days of upper body - in both mesoes. Although they are not the same body part. Are you finding that your muscles allow you to do this? I am itching to try this... but just wondered if any of you who have done this for a while have found that the back to back upper body days has been a problem. :) Thanks

That is how I did it, the way you described above. I had awesome results with this, and there were times I did switch discs to not run into consecutive days of same body workouts, but eventually didn't seem to be a problem. I was very careful with my weight selection, I didn't go as heavy as I could in the beginning and the first week of Meso 2 until I felt confident that I was not over-training and my body was getting adequate rest and nutrition (and I saw results). I didn't feel the need to push the limit on weight amounts, since historically I am a heavy lifter. Its not like it was a cake walk either, but I could have pushed it especially in Meso 3. I also did squat rack and plyo legs on the same day by eliminating duplicate dead lifts and the lighter squats on Plyo and did the heavier ones on Squat Rack. I only did one of the warms up and made it one killer leg workout. Good luck Zozo! I'm going to try the undulating pattern next.

This concept intrigued me as a new way to shock my routines. I've been reading this thread and decided I'd try my own version for meso 1. I started this week with M1D1 Tues, M1D3 Wed, and M1D2 today. My only concern was deadlifts for legs and back being back to back. I ended up doing full deadlifts for legs and only quarter deadlifts (to the knees) today for my low back. I'm planning on taking a rest day tomorrow and then doing the same routine Sat., Sun, and Mon.; then another rest day and then week two starts on Wed. It will take me 16 days to do the first two weeks with the rest days put in. I'm going to do this for meso 1 and then reevaluate how I feel. I'm adding in the extended stretch and abs one time each during the 3 days. So far I'm not missing cardio. We'll see how it goes!

Beth

This concept intrigued me as a new way to shock my routines. I've been reading this thread and decided I'd try my own version for meso 1. I started this week with M1D1 Tues, M1D3 Wed, and M1D2 today. My only concern was deadlifts for legs and back being back to back. I ended up doing full deadlifts for legs and only quarter deadlifts (to the knees) today for my low back. I'm planning on taking a rest day tomorrow and then doing the same routine Sat., Sun, and Mon.; then another rest day and then week two starts on Wed. It will take me 16 days to do the first two weeks with the rest days put in. I'm going to do this for meso 1 and then reevaluate how I feel. I'm adding in the extended stretch and abs one time each during the 3 days. So far I'm not missing cardio. We'll see how it goes!

Beth

Deadlifts...that is where I ran into issues also! If I had two sets back to back I would eliminate one set or modify such as doing a seated cable back extension instead of stiff-legged deadlifts to isolate the lower spinal erectors.

Good luck Beth!

Beth

Hey Beth, I am doing exactly the same routine, I am just a day behind you. :D

Tomorrow I have M1D2 and then a "rest day" on Saturday. I am going to do this along with the pyramid group (M1, M2, M3, M2, M1). I am also bumping my calories on leg days, hopefully that will assist in my recovery.

I will keep tabs on you to see how your doing.

Pamela

Last edited:
Hey, Pam,

How is it going? I ended up doing a bike ride on my rest day. Got some cardio in and don't feel like I'm overtraining. I did C/S/B again today after work and feel energized. So far I'm liking this. I used my two pound weighted gloves today "just to change it up a bit" for some of the exercises. My shoulders are burning! I always write down the weights I use and then try to stay the same or go a little heavier. My pushups leave a lot to be desired though. 8 sets is a lot and I end up on my knees halfway through after the first two sets.

I like doing the program like this because I'm getting to know the discs better. My husband asked me if I could just do it while the tennis was on since I do that with PUB and MIS since I've done them so much! I told him, "No, not with this program"! I still need Cathe and the crew to inspire me to get through all the pushups! Good luck, let me know how you're doing, too.

Beth

Just curious: How many of you have done the 6x a week rotation and done each disc twice? So each mesocycle for four weeks, but with each disc twice a week? And how many have just done two weeks of each mesocylce? Is two weeks enough?

It's nearly time for me to start my rotation! Sooo exciting :) Hope it's all going well for everyon :)

I am doi the 2x a week same disc 6x a week rotation and loving it...(meso 1 for 4 weeks etc)
I also going to pyramid it...go up to meso 3 and then work my way down although i am not sure if i will keep up the 6x a week, because by then we should have the new low impact series and i am going to want to try it out:p

I fell my STS program on week 1, wouldn't you know we would go to mandatory OT the same week I start STS!! :mad: Everytime I start a program something like this happen.

I think I have resolved my schedule issues, so I am back on day 1....lol

Perseverance is the name of the game ;)

I have completed my STS two times a week rotation. I just wanted to report my results:
I had just completed a P90x rotation and was pleased how effective the program was. However, my results were soo much better doing this STS rotation. I think p90x did help me get the most out of this rotation though, and I think doing the two in succession was a vital factor. however, for once you can see clearly all the muscles in my arms. Also, my bicep strength, my chest strength and my back strength have improved immensly. Has anyone else had any good results? Oh, and my abs are much clearer!

I have completed my STS two times a week rotation. I just wanted to report my results:
I had just completed a P90x rotation and was pleased how effective the program was. However, my results were soo much better doing this STS rotation. I think p90x did help me get the most out of this rotation though, and I think doing the two in succession was a vital factor. however, for once you can see clearly all the muscles in my arms. Also, my bicep strength, my chest strength and my back strength have improved immensly. Has anyone else had any good results? Oh, and my abs are much clearer!

Yay!!!!!! I am still in the midst of 6x a week STS but finding my schedule is too jammed lately with Christmas, so I have adjusted it to every other day and that is near perfection for me right now. I could do this forever! So far adding in LIS is working brilliantly. Way to go Zozo!

Nice job ZoZo!!! I am trying also to do 6x a week and have seen good results, definitely in my arms. In M2 right now, my favorite.

Regina

I am beginning to rev up to start STS 5 to 6 times per week. I say 5-6 times because I have to give myself a little bit of space to play with my schedule, in case I cannot quite make it to #6, but that is my goal.

The reason I have to begin to rev up and prepare is that I am still in recovery mode from a serious injury in JULY of this year. But I feel that I will be ready to start January 1, 2012 and I am looking forward to that. However, I will be starting light and just listening to the ol' bod!

Cheers!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.