COME BACK JONEZIE

Not turning this thread into a "rah rah" session for some of the forum members but I left out fitnessfreak when I mentioned the people who were very active on the forum when I joined in. Her genuine interest in helping others reach fitness goals and her overall personality is again, one of the reasons this forum attracted me. She is the best!

Yes, there have been controversial threads, people that have had some pretty serious words openly on the forum - all sorts of things. I take the good with the bad.

I don't mind controversial threads as long as they don't get nasty.They can be great fun!

What does irritate me is the constant swirling of attention around one particular person. It's divisive and too full of drama, and it hurts any community, whether it's an online forum, a family, or an office.

And when somebody is always the center of attention for whatever reason....well, that doesn't happen by accident.

Last edited:
I don't mind controversial threads as long as they don't get nasty.They can be great fun.

What does irritate me is the constant swirling of attention around one particular person.

When somebody is always the center of attention for whatever reason....well, that doesn't happen by accident.

Right. When does Jonezie's break start? She's been threatening for a few days, at least, that she's going to take one. Yet she keeps dropping in to tell us how terrible some of the forum members are and here we go again, talking about Jonezie!

And Miss Lee - how could I forget her? And Liann?? And so many more.....

I guess my point being - I think there are really fabulous people on this forum. Some are more direct, some brutually honest, some very sweet and the list goes on, but as Amy said - that's how it is in life with people.

Govtgirl - I like to discuss a lot of controversial things as well as long as they don't get nasty. I like that we CAN discuss them on this forum.

Sparrow - no I have never felt bullied on this forum. Some of the responses to my posts were more direct than others but I appreciate all opinions.

Carola - I have heard the forums aren't what they used to be. When would you say this forum took a turn? I've been active only for the past couple of years so I would hate to think I was part of bringing the forum down.

I can tell you one sure-fire way to ruin a forum is to have all the attention focused on one or two select people. Another way is sweeping negative comments about forum members as a whole. That, frankly, especially p*sses me off, because I don't like being cyber-judged, and I don't like being lectured, and I don't come on this forum to examine my bellybutton or feel like I'm on an Oprah episode.

ITA.....+1

Not turning this thread into a "rah rah" session for some of the forum members but I left out fitnessfreak when I mentioned the people who were very active on the forum when I joined in. Her genuine interest in helping others reach fitness goals and her overall personality is again, one of the reasons this forum attracted me. She is the best!

Yes, there have been controversial threads, people that have had some pretty serious words openly on the forum - all sorts of things. I take the good with the bad.

Thanks Debbie! You are a sweetheart!

I have my opinions on all this but I think it's safer to keep my mouth shut! :D

You all carry on... I'm enjoying this immensely!

Well, it wasn't Mick Jagger. She said once that she'd never have asked him to sing background in a song that was dissing him. (That's all I go!:eek:)

Warren was my best guess too.

TeTe, I didn't realize Mick was singing until my DH pointed it out. Sometimes I don't hear so good...

Carola - I have heard the forums aren't what they used to be. When would you say this forum took a turn? I've been active only for the past couple of years so I would hate to think I was part of bringing the forum down.

I don't think it has anything to do with you or any one particular person. I think it is a combination of a lot of factors.

Some people who think that the slightest disagreement or varying opinions is an argument or bullying and the world is coming to an end because someone could be offended. And then there are people who will for various reasons get each other all wound up over the perceived stupidity, wrongnessness (is that even a word ? :eek:) or inferiority of other forum members. What starts out as a quirk or small imperfection of a forum member then all of a sudden turns into a big deal and is getting blown out of proportion. If you get yourself wound up every day with others about how stupid ABC person is or how wrong it is what XYZ said, it affects your outlook on things and your view on the people you are dealing with (on the forum or in real life).

It sometimes only takes one seed of doubt that is planted about a person and in a group it takes on a life of its own, and all of a sudden the person who grabbed an orange from a neighbor's tree becomes a mass murder.

If those two groups clash on a forum like this it will result in a lot of tension. Instead of looking at what it is that we have in common it's more like "them against us" and the rest of the people get caught in the middle.

I don't know when it started, I think it was a gradual escalation. And shamefully enough I do think that for a while I did contribute to the negativity by no longer seing the best in people but expecting the worst.

I don't know when it started, I think it was a gradual escalation. And shamefully enough I do think that for a while I did contribute to the negativity by no longer seing the best in people but expecting the worst.
Wow, Carola, what a woman you are!!! Personally, I know you to be an intelligent, strong woman, with strong opinions, and even though I have disagreed with you on things, sometimes very strongly ;], I have admired your convictions and how you came about them. I know that there were some tension between you and an opposing personality... but to say this... It takes a very, very big person indeed to admit that you may have been involved in wrong-doing. I am not saying you have contributed, but WOW! :cool:

When I started posting 4 years ago there really did seem to be more comradery. There were definitely disagreements, but I don't remember seeing the group attacks like this before a certain group of forum members formed a web-ring. People who rarely post come from the woodwork and join what seems to be a light and fun thread when it's true intent is not missed by the person it is intended for. Unfortunately I have seen it at work behind the scenes years ago. Believe it or not, there are actually people on this forum who email each other, form a "pack" and actually intentionally put down and make other posters feel unwanted. They get a kick out of hurting others and trying to get a reaction out of them because of these "perceived" wrongs. :( I don't understand what makes people behave like this.

Melissa

Wow, Carola, what a woman you are!!! Personally, I know you to be an intelligent, strong woman, with strong opinions, and even though I have disagreed with you on things, sometimes very strongly ;], I have admired your convictions and how you came about them. I know that there were some tension between you and an opposing personality... but to say this... It takes a very, very big person indeed to admit that you may have been involved in wrong-doing. I am not saying you have contributed, but WOW! :cool:

When I started posting 4 years ago there really did seem to be more comradery. There were definitely disagreements, but I don't remember seeing the group attacks like this before a certain group of forum members formed a web-ring. People who rarely post come from the woodwork and join what seems to be a light and fun thread when it's true intent is not missed by the person it is intended for. Unfortunately I have seen it at work behind the scenes years ago. Believe it or not, there are actually people on this forum who email each other, form a "pack" and actually intentionally put down and make other posters feel unwanted. They get a kick out of hurting others and trying to get a reaction out of them because of these "perceived" wrongs. :( I don't understand what makes people behave like this.

Melissa

Melissa, you hit the nail on the head. Well said.

Isn't anyone tired yet of discussing the open discussion board? Yes, I'm guilty of reading this stuff - but I'm on a conference call and kind of bored. :)

I wish there were this many posts about other topics.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.