YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED 12/5 at Noon EST

Hi Cathe, I was just wondering if the 100 rep challenge was going to be part of the Xtrain rotation or if it is just something that we do during our own spare time? Also is the majority of Heavy Strikes going to be low impact similar to MMA boxing where only some of the leg drills were high impact?

Hi Mare!

Yes, I sure have. I have been active in athletics since I was 4 (started with ballet class with Madame Henya who spared no mercy, lol) so its pretty hard to go that many years without experiencing a few injuries here and there.

I've had knee injuries too, and assuming its a common overuse or poor technique related injury, they take time to come around but eventually do. Either surgery, physical therapy or both along with proper follow up time and careful execution will have you back to normal again in due time.

Much luck to you!

I do have a question which I hope isn't too personal. Have you ever suffered an injury? I ask because I had knee surgery in March which did not go well so had surgery again Oct 23rd. It seems to be going better this time but I believe that has a lot to do with your LIS:) Certain exercises force me to bend my knee but in a gentle way and my range of motion gets better with each workout!! Can't wait for X-train.......will be ready to go all out with exercises tomorrow:)

Hi Beth! I am totally following what you're saying. My feeling is that fitness is not about doing it all one way. Its about mixing it up and keeping your body guessing. Believe it or not, your body will start to figure out short duration high intensity workouts and eventually begin to adapt if that's all you "feed" it. Try going back to a 45 minute steady state run or a 60 to 75 minute Body Max workout and just listen, watch and feel how your body screams with the new challenge.

If your body is feeling up for a longer workout, do it...

If you want to push super hard but only have it in you for Hiit that day, do it!

If your not feeling you want to jump but you want to workout, pop in a solid weight workout and do it!

All I ask is that no matter what workout you do that day, you focus and give it your all, and I promise you there are big benefits and results on the other side of that days effort!

Go get'm!

QUOTE=fourmommy;2175876]Just wanted to say THANK YOU for producing such high quality workouts!!! You are hands down the best in my opinion.

Question...I have read about working out harder for shorter periods being better for you trying to lose weight verses longer workouts. So when I am reaching for a workout sometimes I talk myself out of doing some of my favorites by you such as BM2, LIC, Lowmax, Drillmax, KPC to name a few. So should I focus on this at all so much. Feel maybe I am letting myself get disracted and some days I just don't want to keep it under 45 minutes but feel I may be hurting more than helping. Do you understand? Can you clear this up for me?

Again thank you...looking forward to Xtrain...so glad I pre-ordered!!!!

Beth[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the response Cathe!
I think that both those issues are contributing to my problem. :( I am still breastfeeding. and I do have a split. I will go slower and avoid twisting and weighted core work. I just need to reign in my ego. so sorry to hear about your chronic back pain, it sucks but obviously you haven't let it impact your life or fitness level!
Happy Holidays!:)

Last edited:
Sure I can help you out Renee:)

First, since you mention you have weight to lose but you are limited due to presure on your knees and feet then it is a top priority for you to eat super clean. Two reasons....a) it will help you reduce weight therefore reducing the stress to your knees and feet and b) this non weight bearing stress related weight loss will help you reach your goals faster and more effectively with less wear and tear and renewed strength, energy and an increased metabolism. So SUPER CLEAN EATING IS STEP ONE!

Second, you need to find that perfect balance of weight bearing, non weight bearing activities to keep your heart rate stimulated, your muscles challenged and your knees and feet performing as pain free as possible.

Try This:

WEEK ONE

Mon: Cycle Max or Indoor cycle ride at gym

Tues: Muscle Max

Wed: Hiit 30/30

Thurs: Turbo Barre

Fri: STS Total Body Trisets

Sat: 50 minute brisk walk outdoors or on treadmill with a slight incline

Sun: Off

WEEK TWO

Mon: 4DS KICKBOX in its entirety

Tues: Cycle Max or indoor cycle ride at gym

Wed: Afterburn

Thurs: Low Impact Challenge

Fri: Muscle Endurance

Sat: 20 minute brisk walk and yoga relax

Sun: off

Hope your PF is better soon. That is a tough nagging injury!

I have same problem as Beth. I want to lose weight my knees n feet are starting to feel bad cause my weight. I think Id like to have a rotation that has workouts that have a correct amount perfect balance for variety and safty and effective weightloss. I mean I jog once a week cause my foot pf. I then do step and weights. But if I do a HIIT how many then there intrevals,like IMAX2 I love them all but want example of a good way to incorperate the best way to put them together a couple of weeks to see what that looks like. I get confused. I want to work hard but not to hard I get injuries. Or burn out. Am I making since? I hope u can give me direction or give me an idea of a rotation for the goals I mentioned. Problem is im over weight but fit and I think people dont realize how hard it is to lose weight like that. My heart n lungs are great I can push it but cant push my knees n feet becuse of the overweight. I have been getting my eating better as well.

Thanks

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your commitment to fitness and health. You are truly an inspiration to me.

Beth

Cathe - just chiming in to echo everybody's thank you. I know I wouldn't have near the level of fitness i currently enjoy if it weren't for you, and you keep taking me to places I never thought I could be! :)

Thanks for sharing your time with us, and I hope all is well with your father.

Hi Elizabeth!

You are not alone in your quest to find out what the heck is happening and why am I not getting the same results I once did. It is very common yet can be very complicated at the same time. Main reason being, not only does our body slow down as we age, our priorities shift and we don't have the time to just focus on just ourselves now. Many are mom's which pretty much demands your time anywhere form being a diaper changing service to being a taxi cab service for our kids...:D We have our full family to focus on,

Another thing that starts to happen as we get older is our bodies shift to pre menopausal state and then extend further in to full menopause which can go on for years. At this point our bodies aren't producing the same hormones we once had so therefore our metabolism will shift and our waistlines thicken.

Also the aging process itself is a whole reason for us not getting the same results. Our cell turnover slows down and our muscles atrophy and aren't capable of building the way they once were, our bones get brittle, our ligaments and joints weaken, etc. Our metabolism is effected not only by our workouts but by our foods. As we get older our body is less capable of metabolizing carbs and filtering the "yuck" that comes with processed foods. We expose ourselves to possibly develop rashes, inflammation, food allergies, and other conditions that result from the body's inability to process foods and release toxins adequately. All of these things add up to slow us down.

Depressing huh? Well let me tell you, knowing all that, it is not time to throw in the towel. Exercise offsets the aging process so you must continue but just with a wiser approach. Doing doubles or going longer and harder might only invite injury and further set backs. You'll have better results with longer warmups, longer cooldowns, longer recovery between workouts, include stretch workouts weekly, and eat clean, super clean!!!! You must respect daily aches and pains and modify all workouts accordingly. You must respect injuries and let them heal while doing physical therapy to build your foundation back up slowly and gradually.

When I was younger my warmups ranged from 3 to 5 minutes. Now I love a good 12 minute warm up. Incorporating yoga twice a week has really kept my joints stretched and limber and helped to reduce stiffness around my joints. I need two full days between weight workouts after a particularly DOMS related workout. Enjoying the post workout cooldown/stretch verses flipping from stretch to stretch has made a world of difference too.

Hope this helps you :)

Hi Cathe,

I was wondering if/how you made changes to your exercise patterns (frequency, intensity etc) as you got older. I am noticing that I'm simply not getting the results I used to (I'm going to be 39 in Feb). Yet, I feel like I am exercising more. I do an upper/lower split twice per week using your heavier lifting dvd's) and cardio 3 times per week, usually with your DVDs as well.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm not allowing my body enough rest and recovery or if perhaps more cardio is in order.

Just interested in what your experience has been.

Thanks for all you do. Your dvd's made it so I enjoyed exercise again.

Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

You are simply too cute. Thank you for your kind words. An early happy birthday to you!

Hi Cathe!

Just wanted to thank you for all you do. I workout every morning with you and the crew. It's the highlight of my day! I'm in the best shape of my life and I'll be 47 on Friday. Not sure I'd be as motivated without your workouts - they really push me & I love it!

You do so much for all of us. What can we do for you to brighten your day or make the coming year the best yet? I just feel like saying "thanks Cathe" isn't enough, but I don't know what to do. I can't bake, so please don't ask for a protein cake :)

Thanks again!!!

Absolutely Ebonynicole. Ironically "reactivating" Cathe TV is in our 2013 line up. I even wrote about it in the fitness calendar this year. SO YES, YES, and YES we will be doing it all :) Stay Tuned!

Good Evening Cathe,

I you and your family are enjoying the holidays and I hope that your dad is feeling better these days.

I do have a question, that I have asked in the past. Would you consider bringing back the Cathe TV segments?

I believed you used them for STS and I don't know how much production goes into them but I thought they were awesome.

People on here are always asking questions about injuries, form pointers, rotations, nutrition etc and think there would be endless things to talk about.

If nothing else you could use it for X-Train because I'm sure there will be lots of questions.

When you did this for STS was it easier then trying to get on the forums?

Just thought I would ask about bringing that back :)

Hi Everyone! I have a 2pm meeting now. But I PROMISE I will be back later tonight to answer the remaining questions. So be sure to look out for your answers. Feel free to leave me more questions if you think of any others.

Thanks for joining me today :)

Cathe,

You may regret your offer to answer more questions!! But, if you have time, I have a question that is 'sort of' an offshoot of my prior one regarding aging and exercise.

I do tons and tons of reading online and in magazines regarding fitness, and amongst the more "hardcore" lifting crowd - fitness models and the like, there is this idea that if you do not get DOMS you are not getting a good workout.

I get that DOMS means you got a good workout, but if you don't get it, are you not making gains on your fitness and muscle-building?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth!

You are not alone in your quest to find out what the heck is happening and why am I not getting the same results I once did. It is very common yet can be very complicated at the same time. Main reason being, not only does our body slow down as we age, our priorities shift and we don't have the time to just focus on just ourselves now. Many are mom's which pretty much demands your time anywhere form being a diaper changing service to being a taxi cab service for our kids...:D We have our full family to focus on,

Another thing that starts to happen as we get older is our bodies shift to pre menopausal state and then extend further in to full menopause which can go on for years. At this point our bodies aren't producing the same hormones we once had so therefore our metabolism will shift and our waistlines thicken.

Also the aging process itself is a whole reason for us not getting the same results. Our cell turnover slows down and our muscles atrophy and aren't capable of building the way they once were, our bones get brittle, our ligaments and joints weaken, etc. Our metabolism is effected not only by our workouts but by our foods. As we get older our body is less capable of metabolizing carbs and filtering the "yuck" that comes with processed foods. We expose ourselves to possibly develop rashes, inflammation, food allergies, and other conditions that result from the body's inability to process foods and release toxins adequately. All of these things add up to slow us down.

Depressing huh? Well let me tell you, knowing all that, it is not time to throw in the towel. Exercise offsets the aging process so you must continue but just with a wiser approach. Doing doubles or going longer and harder might only invite injury and further set backs. You'll have better results with longer warmups, longer cooldowns, longer recovery between workouts, include stretch workouts weekly, and eat clean, super clean!!!! You must respect daily aches and pains and modify all workouts accordingly. You must respect injuries and let them heal while doing physical therapy to build your foundation back up slowly and gradually.

When I was younger my warmups ranged from 3 to 5 minutes. Now I love a good 12 minute warm up. Incorporating yoga twice a week has really kept my joints stretched and limber and helped to reduce stiffness around my joints. I need two full days between weight workouts after a particularly DOMS related workout. Enjoying the post workout cooldown/stretch verses flipping from stretch to stretch has made a world of difference too.

Hope this helps you :)

Cathe I just wanted to say how much I totally agree with and love this response you wrote! It makes so much sense, especially the first bolded part struck home with me. I definitely have noticed over the years that my body is far less tolerant of junk than it used to be! I also just recently developed lactose intolerance, too, which is such a bummer but I feel so much better since I realized that and eliminated most dairy from my diet.

The second bolded part, too...oh my I just have to say that is sooo true!! I find of all the dvds I use your warm ups are far far FAR better than anyone else out there!! Thank you so much for that! I need those long warm ups! Also the cool down stretches...I was guilty of skipping and skimping on that part of the workouts last winter and boy did I notice a difference.;)

another question...

Okay...so I was wondering something. I know on dreary, rainy days or days that I just lack some oommph I have to dig deep sometimes for inspiration and my accountabilty workout buddy is a huge motivating factor for me BUT I wondered...where do you get your inspiration on those blah days? Do you have an accountability friend that wants to know what workout you have done. I know you are regular gal just like the rest of us (obviously way more in shape than me) and wondered what you do when hit a slump. Winter is when I struggle the most, hubby says I go into hibernation. Bright sunny days are wonderful.

Thanks for humoring me with this question. Just curious. Have a great day and rest of your week.

Beth

Okay...so I was wondering something. I know on dreary, rainy days or days that I just lack some oommph I have to dig deep sometimes for inspiration and my accountabilty workout buddy is a huge motivating factor for me BUT I wondered...where do you get your inspiration on those blah days? Do you have an accountability friend that wants to know what workout you have done. I know you are regular gal just like the rest of us (obviously way more in shape than me) and wondered what you do when hit a slump. Winter is when I struggle the most, hubby says I go into hibernation. Bright sunny days are wonderful.

Thanks for humoring me with this question. Just curious. Have a great day and rest of your week.

Beth

Beth,
I was reading your post and was wondering if you've ever heard of SAD? It stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder and it is very common in the winter months. I don't know how deep your "hibernation" is but it might be worth looking into:)

Cathe,
Thank you for taking questions today! That was the first time I was able to participate and it was awesome! You have so much knowledge and you don't hide anything:) I discovered you back in 2006 on Fit TV (while laying in bed one morning feeling sorry for myself and stuffing pop-tarts in my face, lol). I took the plunge with 1 DVD and since then you have taken over my shelf:). I tell all my friends about you too. This year was another first, my first road trip to NJ and I'm hooked again! Can't wait for another one.....hoping you will have one in a different state so I can have all of the Cathlete experiences:) You are an amazing woman and athlete!!!

Lol...a mini vacation would be heavenly :)

Hi Cathe,

Have a fabulous holiday. Hope you have some R&R planned for yourself and the family.

So with all of us wishing for the X-train to arrive shortly, what's on your Christmas list?

(I hope you get it :D)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.