YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED 12/5 at Noon EST

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Hi Everyone! I'd love to have lunch together at 12 noon EST tomorrow (Wednesday) 12/5.

This is a great opportunity for you to ask any questions that have been on your mind regarding the new workouts, any of my workouts, or just stop in to say hi. If you'd like you can start posting your questions here now and I will answer them sooner if I have time. But I'll definitely be here at noon tomorrow.

Can't wait to have our favorite lunches together tomorrow! See you then!

Cathe

Hi Cathe! I have a question regarding fitness shoes. I bought a pair of Ryka Transitions when Crossfire and To the Max came out but I feel that they don't give me a good support when I do high impact. Can I ask you what shoes you wear for higher impact workouts?

As I am almost 3 months pregnant , I have another question regarding weight training during pregnancy. What do you recommend? Total body workouts because of the lighter weight? I know that I have to be careful not lay on my back. Is there any more "tips" I should be aware of?

Hope you have a wonderful Xmas and hope your father is doing well!

I think you are the best ;) Can't wait for XTRAIN!

Marta

Sent from my Optimus Monte Carlo using Cathe Forum

Last edited:
Hi Cathe!

Hi Cathe,
can't wait for the new workouts! I am almost waiting paitently.:)
If you have time, I would love some help please. with my second pregnancy, I had a very difficult time and was put on bed-rest, I started working out soon after, with what I thought was a gradual progression. Then I started STS (with almost all of the one rep max testing done) 3 months post-partum, doing the 3.5 month rotation. I felt amazing, I loved it. (you are a genious!) I didn't focus on my core as much as I wanted to but did not neglet it completely, working 1 or 2 times per week. recently (a couple of months later) I have had a string of injuries to my back and my physiotherapist told me I was lifting too heavy too soon after pregnancy and I injured my stabalizing muscles. now I want to fix it but am getting very vague guidelines. I have been working my core through traditional, funtional and pilateswork but it clearly has not been enough. SO, my question is what you recomend out of your workouts for strength and cardio? I have body blast (well I will soon, that was an awesome deal of the day!), STS, muscle max, stretch max, pyramids and everything after STS.
thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I do have a question which I hope isn't too personal. Have you ever suffered an injury? I ask because I had knee surgery in March which did not go well so had surgery again Oct 23rd. It seems to be going better this time but I believe that has a lot to do with your LIS:) Certain exercises force me to bend my knee but in a gentle way and my range of motion gets better with each workout!! Can't wait for X-train.......will be ready to go all out with exercises tomorrow:)

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for producing such high quality workouts!!! You are hands down the best in my opinion.

Question...I have read about working out harder for shorter periods being better for you trying to lose weight verses longer workouts. So when I am reaching for a workout sometimes I talk myself out of doing some of my favorites by you such as BM2, LIC, Lowmax, Drillmax, KPC to name a few. So should I focus on this at all so much. Feel maybe I am letting myself get disracted and some days I just don't want to keep it under 45 minutes but feel I may be hurting more than helping. Do you understand? Can you clear this up for me?

Again thank you...looking forward to Xtrain...so glad I pre-ordered!!!!

Beth

I have same problem as Beth. I want to lose weight my knees n feet are starting to feel bad cause my weight. I think Id like to have a rotation that has workouts that have a correct amount perfect balance for variety and safty and effective weightloss. I mean I jog once a week cause my foot pf. I then do step and weights. But if I do a HIIT how many then there intrevals,like IMAX2 I love them all but want example of a good way to incorperate the best way to put them together a couple of weeks to see what that looks like. I get confused. I want to work hard but not to hard I get injuries. Or burn out. Am I making since? I hope u can give me direction or give me an idea of a rotation for the goals I mentioned. Problem is im over weight but fit and I think people dont realize how hard it is to lose weight like that. My heart n lungs are great I can push it but cant push my knees n feet becuse of the overweight. I have been getting my eating better as well.

Hi Cathe,

I was wondering if/how you made changes to your exercise patterns (frequency, intensity etc) as you got older. I am noticing that I'm simply not getting the results I used to (I'm going to be 39 in Feb). Yet, I feel like I am exercising more. I do an upper/lower split twice per week using your heavier lifting dvd's) and cardio 3 times per week, usually with your DVDs as well.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm not allowing my body enough rest and recovery or if perhaps more cardio is in order.

Just interested in what your experience has been.

Thanks for all you do. Your dvd's made it so I enjoyed exercise again.

Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

Hi Cathe!

Just wanted to thank you for all you do. I workout every morning with you and the crew. It's the highlight of my day! I'm in the best shape of my life and I'll be 47 on Friday. Not sure I'd be as motivated without your workouts - they really push me & I love it!

You do so much for all of us. What can we do for you to brighten your day or make the coming year the best yet? I just feel like saying "thanks Cathe" isn't enough, but I don't know what to do. I can't bake, so please don't ask for a protein cake :)

Thanks again!!!

Good Evening Cathe,

I you and your family are enjoying the holidays and I hope that your dad is feeling better these days.

I do have a question, that I have asked in the past. Would you consider bringing back the Cathe TV segments?

I believed you used them for STS and I don't know how much production goes into them but I thought they were awesome.

People on here are always asking questions about injuries, form pointers, rotations, nutrition etc and think there would be endless things to talk about.

If nothing else you could use it for X-Train because I'm sure there will be lots of questions.

When you did this for STS was it easier then trying to get on the forums?

Just thought I would ask about bringing that back :)

Hi Cathe,

Have a fabulous holiday. Hope you have some R&R planned for yourself and the family.

So with all of us wishing for the X-train to arrive shortly, what's on your Christmas list?

(I hope you get it :D)

Just stopping by to say HI! No one challenges and motivates me like you. Thanks for all you do, and hope you get to enjoy your vacation over the holidays with your family.

re: how to become as fit as you

Hi Cathe,

First of all thank you for all you have done to improve my physical fitness. I look forward to working out with you every day. My aim is to get as fit as you are i.e to be so cardiovascularly conditioned that I can talk during very intense exercise like Hiit 40/20, to have the muscular endurance to do as much push ups with proper form on my toes as in STS meso 1, to be strong enough to do a pull up and still be flexible like you are in Yoga Relax! A tall order I know.

I would like to know what your workout routine is to able to do these feats. Also how should I structure my routine to be able to work up to it? A little background on me :

Cardiovascular- I can do 40/20 and Imax3 blast only premix without

Endurance- 20 good push ups on my toes

Flexibility – can touch the floor in a forward bend with the very tops of my fingers.

Strength- I bench press 85 lbs for 8 reps. I cannot do a pull up!

I know I have a long way to go and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again for your wonderful workouts and for being such an inspiration. You are the gold standard of fitness!:)

Last edited:
Barbell pull-over question/advice

Hi Cathe,

Firstly, I just wanted to say that I struck gold when I found you. I appreciate everything you do and continue to do :). EXCITED for Xtrain too :eek:.

My dilemma is about barbell pull-overs. A few months ago while doing STS, I was in the middle of a barbell pull-over when my right shoulder popped. I thought my shoulder had temporarily dislocated from my socket! This was my first time doing one, and I totally freaked out! Thankfully I was not injured and was able to resume the program without difficulty. My right shoulder is perfectly fine. I have to admit though, I am scared as heck to do it again :(. I'm really not sure what I did wrong :confused:. I thought my form was good and I think my weight # was spot-on. So my question to you would be: what do you think I could have done wrong? Did I perhaps reach too far back or have my hands placed too close together? I also have a big barbell (not a troy lite), which is longer and heavier than the one you use, about 15lbs (no weight added). I am also scared of lying tricep barbell extensions, as I'm afraid of the same thing :(. Please help! I would like to be able to get the benefit of doing both.

Thank you greatly!

Natasha

Last edited:
How to use Athletic Training and Lower Body Blast

Hi Cathe,

I just discovered your workouts only 2 months ago and have been so impressed with the intensity, professionalism, effectiveness and just the overall quality of your workout DVDs!

I am trying to come up with rotations using Athletic Training and Lower Body Blast, but I'm not sure how to use them. In other words, in a week when I do Athletic Training or Lower Body Blast should I do 2 other strength training workouts (total body), or would they count for some strength training?

The reason I am asking is because I recall you indicating during your Crossfire and To the Max rotations that the weights used in those workouts were not enough to count against strength training for those weeks.

Thanks!

Hi Marta! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I love the Ryka Transpire (the blue color is my favorite ;)) for higher impact. The transpire gives much better support than the transition for higher impact. I have 3 pair of transpires and I hope they never discontinue them. The transition that you have is actually designed for lower impact activities so that's why it wasn't offering you the support you were looking for for your higher impact workouts.

For your workouts, you should use lighter weights and only strive to be as fit as you were the day you found out you were pregnant. As your pregnancy progresses you will find that level of fitness difficult to maintain. You may even have days right now where you don't have energy and feel like you just can't workout. When your pregnant you have to totally listen to your body day by day. It is in "manufacturing mode" and making a baby is hard work. Some days there is more demands on the body than others so you have to respect and listen to what your body is capable of every day you workout. No hiit workouts or interval workouts are recommended during pregnancy. Just steady state cardio. Also, your joints will starts to soften as the hormone relaxin is produced to prepare for your body's delivery so keep that in mind because it will make you more susceptible to getting injured if you push too hard.

Good Luck with everything!

Hi Cathe! I have a question regarding fitness shoes. I bought a pair of Ryka Transitions when Crossfire and To the Max came out but I feel that they don't give me a good support when I do high impact. Can I ask you what shoes you wear for higher impact workouts?

As I am almost 3 months pregnant , I have another question regarding weight training during pregnancy. What do you recommend? Total body workouts because of the lighter weight? I know that I have to be careful not lay on my back. Is there any more "tips" I should be aware of?

Hope you have a wonderful Xmas and hope your father is doing well!

I think you are the best ;) Can't wait for XTRAIN!

Marta

Sent from my Optimus Monte Carlo using Cathe Forum

Hi Cathe!

Thanks for answering my questions ;)

I'm going to search for these Ryka's you mentioned.

And thanks for the "tips"!

I'm going to listen to my body and enjoy my pregnancy :D

Thanks

Marta

Requests

Hi Cathe,

Just wanted to say hello and a big thank you for the great DVDs you continue to produce for people like me who exercise at home. I very much appreciate the fact that you did not go the easier, more lucrative routes and maintained a level of professionalism that is unseen in today's market.

I have 2 requests for the next project:
-Please consider adding an audio track with music and your voice only (without vocals.) I workout late night right before going to sleep. I find myself reaching for workouts without vocals more often. I would pay more to have that option.
-Please consider selling the music as a package with the dvd/download package. I would buy both the music only and music+vocals options.

I can't wait to get Xtrain!

Thank you again. Have a joyous holiday season!
Soapmaker

Hi Monkeydoodle! I'm sorry to hear of your back injuries. I'm certainly not a doctor but it could be the result of two pregnancy related issues that can cause back pain.

1) You might still have a lot of the hormone relaxin in your system (which is a hormone that softens the joints and ligaments during pregnancy to assist with your delivery). Especially if you are still breastfeeding, this hormone seems to linger on a bit longer.

2) You may have diastasis recti, separated abdominals (which I have by the way and has caused chronic back pain because I have so far avoided surgery to have it fixed...I am a full split form sternum to pubic bone). This separation of the abdominal wall is fairly common in women and ironically so many women have it don't even know they do. This split/gap in the abdominal wall and can be minor to severe. The more severe the more pain involved. You can also make a minor split more severe by doing lots of twisting oblique work too soon after pregnancy. Some people claim there are very specific exercises to close this gap but they didnt work for me. Doing a movement as simple as reaching back for your seat belt can encourage a further split so its pretty tough to avoid aggravating the condition, especially when you have to contort yourself to maneuver the car seat/infant carrier all around :)

At this point all I can recommend is that you check to see if you have diastasis recti (if you google it you can find ways to do a home check or you can go to your gyno and they can check how many finger separations wide it is).

Also be aware that the hormone relaxin could still be being produced by your body so be cautious while exercising.

Go light with your core work. Don't use any weight with your oblique work and do modified planks to help strengthen your core region.

Good Luck

Hi Cathe,
can't wait for the new workouts! I am almost waiting paitently.:)
If you have time, I would love some help please. with my second pregnancy, I had a very difficult time and was put on bed-rest, I started working out soon after, with what I thought was a gradual progression. Then I started STS (with almost all of the one rep max testing done) 3 months post-partum, doing the 3.5 month rotation. I felt amazing, I loved it. (you are a genious!) I didn't focus on my core as much as I wanted to but did not neglet it completely, working 1 or 2 times per week. recently (a couple of months later) I have had a string of injuries to my back and my physiotherapist told me I was lifting too heavy too soon after pregnancy and I injured my stabalizing muscles. now I want to fix it but am getting very vague guidelines. I have been working my core through traditional, funtional and pilateswork but it clearly has not been enough. SO, my question is what you recomend out of your workouts for strength and cardio? I have body blast (well I will soon, that was an awesome deal of the day!), STS, muscle max, stretch max, pyramids and everything after STS.
thanks in advance!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.