Your first EVER exercise video?

Definitely Firm Volume 1, but I didn't discover it until 1991. Before that I just ran, swam, biked, and did weights in my basement.

I watched Joanie G. on TV too, but the first tape I owned was The Firm Vol.1 with Susan Harris. Got it in 1988 and it cost 49.99! Then, Vol.2 and Vol. 3.

Took a hiatus from videos, then got Vol. 4, 6, some parts tapes (all the Firm) then discovered the Firm forum, Videofitness, and Cathe! Never looked back!

I bought the Step Reebok tape with Gin Miller to use on a wooden platform about 11" tall that my husband had made me. Then I bought the Reebok step they used and got a tape with the step. I believe I still have them at home. One of them was REALLY easy the other used to kick my butt, but I tried it a few years ago and I wasn't even putting up much of a sweat. I bought four FIRM tapes and they were okay I remember thinking at the time. I ordered a few more tapes from Collage and remember returning them because they were too easy. They introduced me to Cathe since I wanted something more advanced. That has been it ever since, Cathe, Cathe, Cathe!!!!

Sami

My college roommate, freshman year (1984) made me do Joannie Greggins workout on an LP with her early in the morning before classes. I hate working out when I first roll out of bed and I hated this workout. I can still remember some of her silly comments: "That bologna sandwich has to go somewhere!"x(

This experience put me off working out for a LONG time. I guess my first serious attempt at working out with a video was Firm Vol. 1 with Susan Harris. At the time, they were so dang expensive, I couldn't afford to add any others to my collection. I think Vol. 1 and 2 were the only ones that had been made at that time.

Angela

Oh My Goodness ... my 1st ever exercise video was that Jane Fonda video the 1st one waaaay back in the eighties; even as a teen I was into at home workouts :p

Step Reebok: The Workout was my very first. It came with my step. The first workout I bought individually was either Step Reebok: The Power Workout or Firm Vol 1. I still have those tapes.

My first actual exercise video was Karen Voight's Your Personal Best, with Elle MacPherson and it used to kick my butt. I still recommend it to people who are wanting to try to get in shape though, its great for beginniners. I do remember doing a Jane Fonda workout in the 7th grade during PE once also, my school had an aerobics and square dancing semester choice for PE, which is what started my love of aerobics, we learnd the mechanics of it and had to choreograph our own routine to I think - "All I Need is a Miracle" ha ha!!

Jill

Oh yeah! I remember the Jane Fonda album (I had it on cassette). I got that for my birthday in 8th grade. (I was a fitness buff from an early age). I remember that same year I also got a leotard with hot pink tights and (of course) leg warmers.
I wouldn't go to the step and the Cher Fitness tape until I graduated from High school... 4 years later :)

Some 80's Denise Austin aerobic video called the 30 minute fat burner or something like that. I was about 16 and my sister bought it for me with .5 lbs weights - .5 -she must have thought I was such a wimp!! The video was so easy that sometimes I would rewind it and do it again.

I did love Denise Austin though. It's too bad all her videos are beginner level - I miss her sometimes.

No offense to Cathe - I love her too!!

I think my very first video (that I owned) was a Leslie Sansone walking tape. It was a tape that they offered on QVC with the QVC hosts. I think the first tape I actually did was at a friends house and it was Jane Fonda.

Interesting timing, as I just saw a thread on Cher's workout videos, and Cher's "Body Confidence" was my first workout video (though I previously owned a Jane Fonda workout record and a Joannie Griegans record, and one by some other woman--light-skinned african american).

Mine was Jane Fonda "New Workout" in 1985 (the one with the singing). I still pull that out every once in a while just for fun!

Firm Vol. 1 with Susan Harris in that yellow leotard. I still love that one. I think before that I was taping the show Body Electric with Margaret Richards.

Gretzky, what was that Chicken Fat thing? It doesn't sound familiar, but it sure sounds hilarious!

Mine was Kathy Smith's Fat Burning Workout. I absolutely loved it! I loved Kathy Smith too and soon tried all of her videos, but, of course I outgrew her and discovered CATHE!

Mine was Jane Fonda's total body sculpting. I alternated that with Reebok's hi/low workout with Petra Colber. I didn't know about rotations back then so I just kept doing those two tapes for a year!
:eek: I was in college and couldn't afford weights, so I lifted soup cans! Ahhh, memories.

Denise Austin 30 minute something that I struggled to get through the post college, out of shape years... I used to watch Joannie Greggins' morning show too, many years ago. Then onto the Tamilee Webb series, then the FIRM, and various other tapes in between (Tae Bo, Step Rebok, Kathy Smith, Karen Voight, Yoga, etc). I just discovered Cathe through the FIRM site in August and have now put all other tapes away except for Cathe's.
Thank you Cathe- I feel like your videos are the final answer I've been looking for.

Gretzky!!!

I remember doing Chicken Fat!!!!! Run, run, run, run ,run in place real fast! Ha! That was probably my first introduction to exercise, other then the Hokey-Pokey! :7 I think Jane Fonda and Buns of Steel were my first vids. Or, it might have been Jack LaLane on TV! Dating myself, aren't I?
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.