XTrain vs STS vs P90X

murfmom

Cathlete
I would love to hear from those of you who have done these workouts. How do they compare in terms of difficulty/intensity, strength gains, weight loss, fun factor and ease of sticking with a 90-day rotation? TIA!

XTrain gets my vote, although I have not done STS.,
I like Xtrain a lot over p 90X, Insanity or TurboFire. Why?
Sooo many ways to individualize the program with countless premixes. P90 x is very time consuming in comparison, and I don't think the results necessarily reflect the length of time necessary to put into each workout.

One of the secrets to the success of Xtrain is, I think Cathe just plain has a better understanding of the physiology behind HIIT and Tabata training. Also the ability to achieve both using low impact is incredible. Honestly I could never do Tony's plyo my knees could not take it, and I am an advanced exerciser. Sure its great to look at Tony or Sean T, but after 5 minutes, so what. TurboFire Chalene is just all over the place, no method that I can discern, her strength training is deficient imho. I find them not as personally motivating after the first 10 minutes. Cathe knows how to motivate you to dig a little deeper, to do one more. She makes it seem challenging....yet possible.

I have been using the XTrain Burnsets a lot. Lifting heavy has really been the way for me to bust through a plateau and achieve solid results. She has some great time saving pre mixes to use this regularly.

The one downside is lack of nutritional support. P90x has a good plan for that.

But in summary, Cathe's Xtrain does it for me......

Last edited:
P90X - I could not do more than a few of the workouts, I was really bored and I am just one who can't deal with Tony's personality on his dvds, he does seem to be a love him or leave him kind of guy. I would say though if you DO like him, the workouts are probably really good for weight loss, I definitely can't deny this is an effective set if combined with proper nutrition.

STS - Amazing strength training. There is no other program out there like it at all. You need to add in your own choice of 3 days of cardio, it does not come with it. I did the full rotation twice, I don't really lose weight with it, but others have, and that's really mostly about the nutrition. I did definitely gain strength and muscle, even to the point that certain shirts were just ridiculous tight on my arms. Some of the workouts clock in over an hour, and if I'm not "feeling it" that day, it's hard to commit to such a long workout. So my only slight negative was sometimes I just needed shorter workouts.

XTrain - Best complete program I have. Cathe seriously hit a home run with XTrain! I am starting week 6, and still looking forward to each workout, I can't say enough good about this set. There are workouts in here I thought there was no way I would like, and I love them like the HIIT one. I am still a little scared to try Tabatacize, but I'll get there. I do mix in some other cardio to keep it fresh, mainly a heavy bag class I take at my gym. Supercuts is my new favorite since I tried that one in week 5. Because of the nice mix of different times, I can always shuffle the week to get a shorter workout on a day I need it if I am short on time.

It's like Cathe took every comment from every post over the years and created this set of workouts. The music in the ones that matter (aka, really need the beat) is great and motivating, the workouts are all under an hour, many under 50 minutes, there is very very little repetition in the workouts, she even breaks up workouts with different segment types to keep it fresh like HIIT and Legs, there is low impact and high impact, there are heavy weights and light weights, she provides tips on modifying, they are hard and challenging AND fun without being CRAZY hard so I have no dread in doing any of these (ok still scared of Tabata :p).

My only dislikes: Hard Strikes, I LOVE kickboxing and boxing workouts so this wasn't enough of the punching combos for me, and just not what I had hoped it would be, but I like adding on the Conditioning segment to a leg day. I wish I had a heavy bag for the heavy bag Tabatas. And I don't like the floor and chair sections of Legs, but that didn't surprise me, I can't stand floor work at all.

IMHO, STS and XTrain both far exceed any other program. I have P90, but only did a couple of the workouts because I could not stand Tony at all - not looking at him or listening to him. I know some people love him or hate him. I've been spoiled by Cathe because it was immediately clear to me the differences. I also have Insanity - he didn't annoy me as much as Tony, but I got bored after a week and stopped. I never get tired of STS or XTrain. I look forward to any one of them and don't dread any part of it. The first time I did the STS program, I lost 13 lbs. in 3 1/2 months - I also followed a clean diet. The times I've done STS since then, I still have lost weight but not as much but that's also because I wasn't as strict with my diet. I think any program would be good for losing weight as long as you follow a clean diet - that seems to be what everyone says and I know for me, no matter how much I work out it doesn't make a difference unless I'm eating better. Hope this helps.

I have done STS 3 times, love it!! I always loose weight and gain muscle during this program. I do add cardio 3-4 days a week along with it.
Xtrain is becoming another favorite, I am in week 5 of the rotation and have seen some serious strength gains and have definitely toned up. The ab sections in this program are different and I find myself always wanting to do them. I would love to create a rotation using both STS and Xtrain.
If I had to choose between either STS or Xtrain I'd probably pick Xtrain. It has the cardio, the strength, the premixes are great, and it has the 100 rep challenges which are really an added bonus.
P90, hated it, could not stand Tony's personality. His cardio is lacking and his strength w/o seemed to be all pullups and pushups. I lasted about 3 days with this program. His yoga DVD was descent but he talked too much during it which really annoyed me. I have had friends who did it and enjoyed it, they lost a good amount of weight on it.

Thanks so much for all your comments! I actually have all 3 of these series and am currently on week 6 of XTrain. I started but never finished P90X and STS. I think I got sick of Tony after a while, but I keep thinking I should give it another chance because so many people have gotten great results. With STS, life got in the way and my exercise kind of dwindled away. I don't really know why, because I liked the workouts. Now I'm thoroughly enjoying XTrain and have no desire to drop out. I'd like to keep this momentum going.

I'm in the process of losing weight (down 43.6 pounds so far, about 30 more to go) and getting back into shape. I'm thinking that after the 90-day Xtrain rotation I'll take a week off from the structure, then do P90X, followed by STS. I'm following a slightly modified Paleo diet and it's working like nothing ever has before! I'm not even hungry, weak or grumpy! I've eliminated virtually all sugar, wheat and processed foods, but I do have a little natural peanut butter.

Gawd i just cant see what youd eat then. Lol id love to try something like this but i dont have a clue what TO eat. Have you lost anything doing xtrain?

I have done p90x and although I did complete the program and received great results I was very BORED with the program. The first couple of weeks were good but after that there was a dread factor. I forced my self to stick with it and ultimately was glad I did as the results I received were great. I just do not see myself ever doing it again!

I have not done STS other than Plyo legs. All that I have read and seen (video clips) I think I would enjoy this rotation. I am sure at some point I will purchase this series and be very happy I did.

I am in my 6th week of 90 day Xtrain and absolutely loving it. I am seeing great results with no dread factor whatsoever! I am loving this series.

Just started Xtrain

I completed the P90x a few years ago and really had the dread factor about 6 weeks into the program. My husband can't stand Tony but I didn't find him too bad. I completed STS after that and loved it. I wished it had come with cardio (different cardio each time of course). Just started Xtrain this morning and was able to complete the whole first disc. I haven't exercised for the past year and am out of shape again, gained back 12 lbs.
I am totally motivated right now and will do the 90 day rotation of xtrain. Go Cathe!!

XTrain - Best complete program I have. Cathe seriously hit a home run with XTrain! I am starting week 6, and still looking forward to each workout, I can't say enough good about this set. There are workouts in here I thought there was no way I would like, and I love them like the HIIT one. I am still a little scared to try Tabatacize, but I'll get there. I do mix in some other cardio to keep it fresh, mainly a heavy bag class I take at my gym. Supercuts is my new favorite since I tried that one in week 5. Because of the nice mix of different times, I can always shuffle the week to get a shorter workout on a day I need it if I am short on time.

It's like Cathe took every comment from every post over the years and created this set of workouts. The music in the ones that matter (aka, really need the beat) is great and motivating, the workouts are all under an hour, many under 50 minutes, there is very very little repetition in the workouts, she even breaks up workouts with different segment types to keep it fresh like HIIT and Legs, there is low impact and high impact, there are heavy weights and light weights, she provides tips on modifying, they are hard and challenging AND fun without being CRAZY hard so I have no dread in doing any of these (ok still scared of Tabata :p).

I did not need to read this today! You're nominated for enabler of the day.

Shame on you, ha. :eek:

Thanks so much for all your comments! I actually have all 3 of these series and am currently on week 6 of XTrain. I started but never finished P90X and STS. I think I got sick of Tony after a while, but I keep thinking I should give it another chance because so many people have gotten great results. With STS, life got in the way and my exercise kind of dwindled away. I don't really know why, because I liked the workouts. Now I'm thoroughly enjoying XTrain and have no desire to drop out. I'd like to keep this momentum going.

I'm in the process of losing weight (down 43.6 pounds so far, about 30 more to go) and getting back into shape. I'm thinking that after the 90-day Xtrain rotation I'll take a week off from the structure, then do P90X, followed by STS. I'm following a slightly modified Paleo diet and it's working like nothing ever has before! I'm not even hungry, weak or grumpy! I've eliminated virtually all sugar, wheat and processed foods, but I do have a little natural peanut butter.

Congratulations on your weight loss:D Great results!

I've completed all three programs. P90X was my least favorite of the three. I thought the program was boring, and Tony annoyed me. Forced myself to complete it. Dreading every day of it. Loved STS. Great results. Great muscle gain. Loved XTrain as well. I did the 90 day undulating rotation. Gained muscle, and toned up. Will definitely do it again, and clean up my diet this time around. STS and XTrain are winners!!

I totally agree with Karen - I did P90X first, and was bored. So much so that I nearly didn't buy Xtrain and discover Cathe :( LOVED Xtrain, and got great results. I then did STS, which I found gave me great strength gains, but I got a little fed up in Meso #3. I had been doing the 6 month rotation of it.

I'll be doing Xtrain again - 90 day undulating. I'll also do STS, but do strength 6x per week, so it's done in a month and a half.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.