Would you try to return used make-up?

Love/Hate

I have a love/hate relationship with those make-up counters. I LOVE to get my make up done but then I feel pressured to get the items (yes, I know I need a backbone). I haven't been to one in years and I avoid them like the plague because I always have some major buyer's remorse. I am ashamed to admit this but I have bought stuff from those counters and didn't return it because I was too chicken :eek:

Please keep us posted and let us know how your return experience goes. Maybe it will give me confidence to return that stuff too (just to clarify I do return other stuff but I do have a hard time with make up returns).

Good luck!!

Yes, return it. Estee Lauder allows returns, so your make up department should as well.

I returned "minerals makeup" to Walmart about a month ago b/c I couldn't figure out how the contraption worked & it was $12.

I contemplated returning a used paint brush to Menards b/c I paid extra for it b/c "it guaranteed one coat cover" and I had to use 3-4 coats to cover. I didn't return it though......although I would have liked to see the look on their face at the courtsey counter. LOL

I thought all makeup brands had a return policy. If you owned a makeup company wouldn't you consider that just a cost of doing business? I would.

My mom has returned makeup in that exact situation, too. I can't recall if I have. :eek:

LOL, I do think I'd go back at a different time/day so maybe not deal with the same person who sold it all to me. :p

One or two items I would, no doubt, Ame. But what if someone spent a small fortune, used all of it just a little bit, and then wanted to return it?

As for the saleswoman, GMTA. I'm having my assistant call and find out what hours she works so I can avoid those times!

You know, the woman spent almost an hour with me and really taught me some helpful things about putting on my eye make-up. And I liked the way my eyes looked (it's a little bit the Tim Curry as Dr. Frankenfurter thing, but I love it!). So I figure I'll keep the 6 items that relate to my eyes. They were almost worth the price if you consider the free lesson.

The 5 things that related to my skin are definitely going back. Horrid!

I can go either way on the lip stuff. They said the lip "stain" would "last all day" and it didn't last an hour, but I do like the color, although I could get just as nice a color for a lot less money.

Do you think I'm more likely to be successful if I try to return more stuff or less stuff? I'm thinking less?

I had the worst and most ridiculous makeover EVER from Laura Mercier, I looked at least 15 years older, and I guess something like a hooker with bad taste in makeup. I obviously didn't buy a thing, and the makeup ladies had the nerve to be pissy about it. My friend I was with could barely contain her shock when she saw me, it was THAT bad.

Yes, you can take back any makeup to department stores. I do understand how they make you feel uncomfortable about it, but you'll feel better once you do. I would probably do the same thing you mentiond and keep a couple of the eye colors, and get rid of the rest.

Nancy, just march right in there and return it. There should be NO problem whatsoever. I've returned partially used (meaning, just a smidge) makeup/skincare before at Neimans (without any excuse other than, "I'd like to return this"). They were gracious and returned without question. ESPECIALLY if you are a loyal customer, there should be no issue at all. (though truthfully, even if you were a first-timer, they should be equally as accommodating)

You really have nothing to lose.

Please let us know how you fare!

That's a good idea, except my skin doesn't look irritated. Isn't it enough that it doesn't live up to its promises? Or maybe I should wait a week and say I had a terrible outbreak and stopped using the stuff and now my skin is back to normal.

Don't wait. Returning a purchase as soon as possible decreases your chances of a hassle from the store.

You don't need to give them any excuse. All department stores take back make-up. I've worked the make-up counters at many dept. stores and no, we don't like returns because it comes off our commission but there's nothing worse than someone making up some big fake excuse for returning the products. Just return it with confidence!

Traci

I had the worst and most ridiculous makeover EVER from Laura Mercier, I looked at least 15 years older, and I guess something like a hooker with bad taste in makeup. I obviously didn't buy a thing, and the makeup ladies had the nerve to be pissy about it. My friend I was with could barely contain her shock when she saw me, it was THAT bad.

Yes, you can take back any makeup to department stores. I do understand how they make you feel uncomfortable about it, but you'll feel better once you do. I would probably do the same thing you mentiond and keep a couple of the eye colors, and get rid of the rest.

I think the woman who did my make-up did her best with what she had to work with, but the Laura Mercier products are the problem. Of all the foundations I've tried in my life, it was one of the worst. I looked like I had liver disease.

Nancy, I spent 9 years of my life working at the Clinique counter. I took MANY a return!! Return it and don't feel bad, you don't know if you like it until you try it! They just damage the returned stuff and get a refund from the vendor.

Thanks for posting! I really appreciate it. :)

Nancy if you like the eye makeup and lipstick keep it! I would personally want to know about your problems with the foundation if I were the consultant. It could help her with future sales of people with your similar skin type. Believe me after working in cosmetics for awhile you get THICK skin! I'm sure she wont feel bad! Especcially if you liked the eye look. That is the real artistry as far as makeovers go anyway!!

Nancy if you like the eye makeup and lipstick keep it! I would personally want to know about your problems with the foundation if I were the consultant. It could help her with future sales of people with your similar skin type. Believe me after working in cosmetics for awhile you get THICK skin! I'm sure she wont feel bad! Especcially if you liked the eye look. That is the real artistry as far as makeovers go anyway!!

I've got all the face and lip stuff at work today with the receipt, and will probably do the return at the end of the day. If she's there, I will definitely tell her how much I learned from the eye application, which she based on the shape of my eyes, and did perfectly. At my salon, they would have charged at least $150 for a lesson like that.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for bucking me up. I needed it!

i was in macy's when a woman returned chanel makeup that was 3/4 gone! I would have been mortified, but she had no problem returning it. Macy's gave her the money back. I think your chances are pretty good if you've only used it a few days. If the cashier won't return it for you, ask to speak with the store manager...they always try to make the customer happy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.