Would you try to return used make-up?

nancy324

Cathlete
I went to a department store to have a complete makeover - from scratch. I'm an all-or-nothing type, so I let the woman at the Laura Mercier counter do the whole thing on my face, from foundation to eyes and lips. She kept telling me how Mercier was all about "The Flawless Face". I thought I looked pretty good in the store, so I bought the whole kit and kaboodle. When I got home and looked at my skin in the mirror, I realized it looked kind of sallow and all the concealers they used were actually highlighting my lines and wrinkles! The "primer" obviously didn't work at all, because that's exactly what it's supposed to prevent.

The stuff was a small fortune and now I'm just sick about spending all that money on products that aren't as good as the products I was using before and which cost a lot less. I used the make-up for a few days to see if it took some getting used to. I'm okay with the eye shadows and liner, but the rest of it just doesn't come close to the Trucco and Mac products I was using before.

I'm ready to go back with the bag of stuff and insist they take most of it back. Lord & Taylor has excellent customer service, but what do you think? Will I get anywhere?

Hehehe that reminds me of the Seinfeld epi when Elaine bought that hideous dress at Burgdorf's b/c it looked so good in the store. :D

I think they'll take it back. Sephora's allows you to return makeup, I can't imagine why L&T wouldn't. As long as you didn't use the whole thing & all of a sudden change your mind. ;)

Hehehe that reminds me of the Seinfeld epi when Elaine bought that hideous dress at Burgdorf's b/c it looked so good in the store. :D

I think they'll take it back. Sephora's allows you to return makeup, I can't imagine why L&T wouldn't. As long as you didn't use the whole thing & all of a sudden change your mind. ;)

Does Sephora allow you to return slightly used make-up, Laura? This is good news! Thanks. I didn't see the Seinfeld episode but it sounds similar. Bergdorf's is uber pricey.

yes definitely take it back. They should refund your money with no problem. Even my local CVS will take back makeup you decide is not working for you.

Nancy,

I looked up L&T's return policy:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/customerservice/returns.cfm

Says they won't take back used stuff....BUT, hell, even CVS has a return policy on make-up you buy from them! Give it a try. (Hey, return it this weekend when we're there!! I'll bet the five of us can "talk" them into a nice refund!!!:cool:).

I'm usually good at returning stuff, but for some reason I feel kind of like a wuss about this. I would LOVE to have you come with me to prop up my spine! ;)

Tell 'em you had a severe allergic reaction and they're lucky you don't sue!

That's a good idea, except my skin doesn't look irritated. Isn't it enough that it doesn't live up to its promises? Or maybe I should wait a week and say I had a terrible outbreak and stopped using the stuff and now my skin is back to normal.

yes definitely take it back. They should refund your money with no problem. Even my local CVS will take back makeup you decide is not working for you.

Doesn't CVS do that because you can't try on the make-up in the store? Here I tried on everything. :(

Don't fret about taking it back . Department stores are usually pretty liberal with makeup returns . I would just be honest that you were not satisfied with the way product performed on your skin. Sometimes it turns on you which is why it can be a good idea wear it for an hour or so while you shop before you commit. You are in the right with a legitimate reason and you are not abusing the return policies like people who use stuff down to the last drop and then return to score more product. So , feel good about that return!

Most of the high-end department stores, and their cosmetics counters, will let you return used makeup (as long as it isn't all used up!).

Doesn't CVS do that because you can't try on the make-up in the store? Here I tried on everything. :(

It shouldn't matter; dept store lighting is WAY different than real light. My friend got a makeover at Sephora and she looked really good in the store, then when we went outside it looked like she had a mask on her face! She thought mayeb if she tried to recreate the look with a lighter hand, it would look ok but it didn't. We returned everything later that week, no questions asked. You might get store credit instead of your money back, but it's better than being stuck with a case full of products you can't use!

I would have no qualms whatsoever of returning department store makeup products since they're so outrageously priced to begin with, ESPECIALLY if you return it right away.

I returned foundation at a Lancome counter because it looked good THERE, but didn't really match my skin in any other mirror. I think I actually got a different shade, but at worst, you can get something else you would actually use.

Nancy:

I always say, if you don't ask, you'll never get anything. People can be flexible, you never know what they might be prepared to do. Most people working in customer service are interested in repeat sales and therefore in keeping their customers happy. In your shoes, I would go back and ask to speak to someone in charge of that department/make up counter. I would explain, vigorously, insistently, and with confidence that I was "strongly urged" by the sales assistant to purchase products that in fact are not ideal for me and do not create a flawless face and instead highlight all my wrinkles and age, etc. It is in their interests to offer you alternative products of similar price that do meet your needs. If their products fail to create what they advertise, i.e., the flawless face, then yes, you have a case for complaint.

I would go for it and I would not go away easily, would not let myself be placated with "there's nothing we can do" crap. Go for it.

If you don't ask, you won't get anything. You lose nothing by trying. If after much wrangling and loud voice exchanges they still refuse to satisfy you as a customer, you tell them in a loud voice how appallingly bad both their products and customer service have been and that they have lost you as a customer for good. You will be telling your friends to avoid this make up range.

Clare

Store credit would be just as good as money to me, because I shop at L&T all the time. But I would not be satisfied with other Laura Mercier products as an exchange. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I thought all makeup brands had a return policy. If you owned a makeup company wouldn't you consider that just a cost of doing business? I would.

My mom has returned makeup in that exact situation, too. I can't recall if I have. :eek:

LOL, I do think I'd go back at a different time/day so maybe not deal with the same person who sold it all to me. :p

Return it. Trust me it has been done before. There is such thing as buyers remorse as long as it is not used underwear, . . . you've got my vote for bringing it back. If you are not feeling brave enough make your husband do it for you. :)

Nancy, I spent 9 years of my life working at the Clinique counter. I took MANY a return!! Return it and don't feel bad, you don't know if you like it until you try it! They just damage the returned stuff and get a refund from the vendor.

Last edited:
Return it. Trust me it has been done before. There is such thing as buyers remorse as long as it is not used underwear, . . . you've got my vote for bringing it back. If you are not feeling brave enough make your husband do it for you. :)

I'll have my Cathlete friends do it for me! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.