Workouts you just CAN'T get into

Kettlebells. Wish I could love that type of training, but I just don't.

I am very curious about Cross Fit. Haven't tried it yet but want to.

lisa_la_machina said:
Kettlebells. Wish I could love that type of training, but I just don't.

I am very curious about Cross Fit. Haven't tried it yet but want to.

What is cross fit? Haven't heard of it before...

dancy cardio like Zumba. i don't want to have to think so much to get a good workout in. sweat more, think less...

CrossFit

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a review about CrossFit from some of the Cathletes out here! I have been extremely skeptical about the program from the outset. Lots of "cult"-like followers...and they rave about how much fun it is and how much they've gained fitness-wise.

I'm a fitness instructor, however, and after reading MANY articles (yes, you might call it an obsession right now) and attending a CrossFit orientation I'm not convinced it is a good workout (as in, well rounded and well structured with a purpose)...especially for beginners. Form suffers in the pursuit of doing as many reps as possible for a specified amount of time, among other things. Check out these reviews:

Studying CrossFit at Kansas State University | CrossFit Community

A Review of Crossfit - The Sweat Pit

CrossFit

I'm not here to slam it, by any means, so I would love to hear opinions from all sides about your experiences with it!

Thanks!
Lynne

I cnt get into crossfit ... I went a couple times I didnt feel it was any better then Cathes dvds.
It was just alot of unsafe stuff. They wanted me jumping from a box to grap a bar way above me im only 5 1 I couldnt reach so I was supode to jump from the box to the bar and do pull ups. Keep in mind I told them I never worked out in five yrs. This was a yr ago. Then I was to do squats with weighted barbell as fast as I could then the women was holloring across the room my form was screwed up. Well she never came to show me what was wrong. It was jyst stupid I tnought. Even if I had been exercising and in great shape I would not do some of the stuff tjey were doing ... It seems they are safer exercises that is just as tuff! I mean I think it doesnt make the people look tuff or that I felt it is to hard realy just more unsafe. It seemed also, sorry if I make anyone mad, but raggady. I think I could go in my backyard and flip a tire across the yard I can climb a rope hanging from a tree, and run intervels. Pullups in my yard. Lol it just not something id spend so much money on. Its not worth what they expect u to pay. Oh and everyone was doing the wod that was writen on the bored,but it was all unorganized some was doing pull ups some squats it just seemed lame.

Last edited:
Crossfit is meant for the elite athletes. People that already have great form and very strong. They want a more cave-man experience, like with eating paleo. The cave men ate meat and a few berries. There was no bread. No treadmill. Yes, it can be a bit raggedy (I've only read about it) and I think they design the workouts so you can do them in your backyard/ nearby park. Not really sure why a gym is needed at all. They also do jump rope quite a bit.

can't get into-yoga although if I find the right hot yoga video it might work.
pilates, most dance and step workouts are too complicated. there are some cathe w/o I wasn't a fan of. can't really remember which ones. I didn't like the pyramid and gym style for some reason. can't get into anything on netflix. It feels like they are free, with streaming, but the selection was so terrible. and way too many yoga videos.
weight training. have a weight training circuit type of machine, but I just never want to use it anymore.

thumbs up-anything lower body. it's all about the legs.
kick boxing, HiiT, butts and guts, legs and glutes, boot camp, love to try spinning.
I really enjoy running and walking. oh and hiking. If I'm on a treadmill it needs to be adjustable height/speed and everything. We had an old one, but couldn't change the height, and not enough speed. it was so boring. I love doing either of them outside, but sometimes I wish I had more of a runners body. I used to be on running teams in junior high and briefly in high school, and just could never get my body to run as fast as the everyone else. Mostly, I've made peace with that, I'm just not meant to be a gazelle, and I prided myself on endurance at the time. Now though, I've learned more about speed training, so with time I could improve a lot. In the end, I love it, and I'm just happy to participate and enjoy the solitude outside.

Turbo Fire for sure. I just can't seem to get into this workout. I think it's the choreography is to complex, plus the background music and instructor get on my nerves.

It's funny when old threads are revived. I thought this one looked a bit familiar ;). Do you guys "search" for tag words and then threads are suggested, or do you go page by page looking? I'm just curious :D.

Natasha

Last edited:
I despise walking outdoors - one because of shin splints and two it is so boring. Treadmill and elliptical machines bore me too. I tried spinning one time - didn't care for it. Cathe's MMA was horrible (sorry, Cathe).

Natasha - Yes, I have used the search thread and it works pretty well. I think the advanced search will narrow to a specific forum if you want. I've used it look up shoe and yoga reviews multiple times.

Lisa

Agree with Kathryn! Machines! :rolleyes: Soooooo boring.....zzzzzzzz

STEP! After 20+ years of it, ugh. :( I don't mind using the step as Cathe does in TTM, but those fancy dancy step workouts are so not for me anymore. I have not done a Cathe step workout in a while, but if/when I do, I jump on my spin bike or treadmill while everyone else steps.

I have never even tried Pilates or Yoga. Not even Cathe's Yoga! :eek: :eek: If I am going to spend time in the gym, I want to burn some calories!

ElleJay, I am in the Philly area! :) I LOVE spinning because of its high calorie burn and lower body toning focus, which I so desperately need! :eek: I enjoy the loud music because I feel it adds to the ride experience. There is one spin instructor's class that is popular at our club because she puts a great setlist together. I don't ride outdoors, but I would give it try if I had a buddy.

I only took a Zumba class once, but I loved it. I was watching the live stream of this summer's RT, and when I saw the Zumba class, I just knew I had to try it. I always enjoyed dancing socially, and I don't do that these days, so a Zumba class is a good way for me to get my dance fix. :p

I did not think I would like Barre, but I have to say I love Cathe's TB and am going to use it more frequently. It really hits all those tough-to-tone areas quite well! I did LBB this past Sunday, and I did the entire DVD - Standing + Floor Work + Leg Conditioning Drills. AWESOME!

I enjoy working out with kettlebells because I get a really great workout in a short amount of time. Here again, there is an emphasis on the lower body muscle groups. Severe tendonitis in my elbow this year has derailed my KB workouts, but I hope to build up to them again soon. Paul Katami is my favorite KB DVD instructor.

I like Kickboxing for cardio variety, but I haven't done any in a while, again because of my elbow. :rolleyes: I am wondering if I will be able to even do Hard Strikes? :confused:

Cathe's LIS Series is ideal for me at this stage in my life (age 54), along with spinning. I may give STS a go again in January, although XTrain will be here by then! :D

Ha! Just read that someone revived an old thread. Guess what? I just wrote this long post, so it is staying here!! LOL

It's funny when old threads are revived. I thought this one looked a bit familiar ;). Do you guys "search" for tag words and then threads are suggested, or do you go page by page looking? I'm just curious :D.

Natasha

Lol actualy if I bring an old thread I am typing in a subject and I may find it or not ...most time not because I run across a title that sounds more fun and then ill answer it. Sometimes im just bored and Cathe forum is so fun lol I know I have some time on my hands. Lol I been in a wirl wind for many yrs and this last yr ive had less drama and I only work oart time. So as u can see, I how no life lol.. Or im nosey.

Ok, I'm bringing back this thread. It's been brought back a couple of times, but maybe some tastes have changed. For me, anything by Chalene Johnson. I did like PiYo for about 10 minutes, but there were only three workouts that were worth anything. Not a fan, and I was bored out of my mind with Chalene Extreme. Next!

CHalene and denise never bothered me. I lived around southern bell bubbly personality my whole life. Its in the DNA to be sweet, flirty, friendly and talkative. Plus cleavage is an asset LOL

I hate dancy complicated step. I"ve never gotten through step blast or any of those that others rave about.

I like the step when its used for jump ups :D I like straddle jumps. I don't mind lunging off and tapping down. I don't' mind a bazillion power 15, 7, 15, 7 whatever

BUt I dont' want to skip around it, poney it, go over it turn around on it cause I'm never on the right damn side :oops:

CHalene and denise never bothered me. I lived around southern bell bubbly personality my whole life. Its in the DNA to be sweet, flirty, friendly and talkative. Plus cleavage is an asset LOL

I hate dancy complicated step. I"ve never gotten through step blast or any of those that others rave about.

I like the step when its used for jump ups :D I like straddle jumps. I don't mind lunging off and tapping down. I don't' mind a bazillion power 15, 7, 15, 7 whatever

BUt I dont' want to skip around it, poney it, go over it turn around on it cause I'm never on the right damn side :oops:

This is hilarious! There was a time when I loved all that stuff, but, I don't have the patience any more! I wholeheartedly agree! LOL! Thanks for the laugh.

Interesting thread. :)

Running. I just don't get it & most people I know who have done it for awhile have painful knee issues. I guess as a highly biased walker, I just think why kill yourself running when walking will get you there eventually and you get to stare off at nature/people/traffic?

Tabata that is longer than 9 minutes. I thought this stuff was supposed to be swift?

TRX. Not for the fastener or symmetrically and directionally hopeless!

Pilates (in DVD or non-live form). In-person classes have become way too costly, but I think it is the way to go. It does good things for back, neck, pelvis issues etc. You truly aren't reaping the benefits from a DVD at all, IMHO.

Over-the-top workout programs that use terms like Crazy, Insane etc. As a mental health advocate and try-hard stigma eliminator, they p^ss me off.

Entirely Bodyweight programs. I just don't think my crooked body accepts these very well & I have tried. I do absolutely see the merit in them, though. It's more of a personal anatomy issue, probably. lol.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.