Workouts you just CAN'T get into

callygrrl said:
I'm not really into Kickboxing either. I have tried several kickboxing DVDs and live classes, but I'm simply not connecting with it. :(

I really do not like cardio workouts on elliptical or treadmills anymore either. Now that I'm more active, I prefer indoor my cardio workouts in the form of a step workout, circuit or HIIT training.

Besides weight training with Cathe, I do like Pilates and have several DVDs in my collection. I also like yoga workouts too.

Cally

Callygrrl-

You're the only other person I know who doesn't like kickboxing...now I don't have to feel so alone. :). My spin instructor, who is AWESOME, also teaches kickboxing and is always encouraging me to come to one of those classes. I don't have the heart to tell her how much I hate it.

I forgot to add strength training to my list of "love it" workouts...they're my favorites. I was only thinking cardio...although with
Cathe these often ARE cardio!

I just loathe Kickboxing and MMA. Ugh, the dread factor. Zumba is not my thing either. I signed up for kickboxing/MMA classes with a trainer thinking if I really got into it I would enjoy it...nope. It was torture I hated it so much!

I can't get into yoga. It sounds like it's healthy and all....but I can't quiet the damn voices in my head!:eek::confused:

I have to add 'any machine-based cardio' (treadmill, elliptical, etc.) to my list.

I can stand maybe 5 minutes at a time, when I'm staying in a hotel with a fitness room, but it gets too boring for me way to fast. Now, I can walk for HOURS outdoors without feeling the same way.

Great thread, and I agree with everything Mini-natty said. Strange, but in the big box stores, there are too many Pilates and yoga DVDs -- too little of anything good to buy.
-- David
p.s. Just received my Low Impact "Afterburn", and it's terrific. Highly recommended. No nice-and-easy stuff here.

Can't stand...walking(of all things?) because it kills my hip flexors.

Also, won't do any DVD where the instructor is not doing all of the exercises along with me.

My favorites are heavy weights/low reps and any tricky step like RS and SM.

Cool thread!

I hate spinning classes - I have tried sooo many times and I just can't get into it. The music was blaring these women are spinning their little hearts out all glassy eyed, and going nowhere. Ugh. If I'm going to sweat to loud music, it's with Cathe (but again, not her new cycling one, it's still in the wrapper).

Not a fan of zumba either, and it seems pretty popular here near Philadelphia, all over in the dance studios. Went to a few of those, too. Not doing it for me.

I do like to ride my bike all over town, though, and when not biking, I'm walking outdoors - like Kathryn I'm not a big big fan of treadmills and ellipticals. Love Cathe, love my old old Firm videos.

I have to add 'any machine-based cardio' (treadmill, elliptical, etc.) to my list.

I can stand maybe 5 minutes at a time, when I'm staying in a hotel with a fitness room, but it gets too boring for me way to fast. Now, I can walk for HOURS outdoors without feeling the same way.

Me too!! Something about walking/running indoors that makes me want to just get off and go watch a movie or something....

Take me outside and I could (and do) walk for hours :)

I can't get into Turbo Fire-type workouts, nada! That sort of setting is too chaotic and the people working out seem over-done. Same with Brazil Butt Lift, silly but that's my opinion only. Lower Body Blast, Guts and Butts, Lower Pyramid blows BBL out of the water.

I also can never get into a workout where the instructor stops and shows pointers. It always makes me stop for a split second, plus I don't want to constantly hear that over and over. Just do the workout please.

I can't get into yoga. It sounds like it's healthy and all....but I can't quiet the damn voices in my head!:eek::confused:

Yoga for me, too. I have tried so hard to like it since I needed more low-impact optuons (before the latest series-thank you Cathe). I tried several videos and several different instructors...I gave it every chance.....I tried really, really hard, but....I HATE IT!

The "damm voices in my head" keep telling me to hurry up and work out already!

I hate cycling classes most of all. I'm not fond of yoga but I do it sometimes because I feel it helps me. I don't like tricky step workouts. Makes me feel like I could trip and fall on my face. :)

I was a regular runner for years but recently I started taking Zumba classes, Piloxing, and balance infused strength classes. I love them! I also like weight training and kickboxing.

I couldn't get into yoga at all...if a workout had a yoga-ish cool down I'd just turn it off and do my own cool down. Then, I don't know what happened, I think it was Tony Horton and p90x or one on one yoga and how Tony said if he could only do one type of exercise it would be yoga so I gave it more of a chance and now I love it! It's like giving my body a massage.

I'm still on the fence with kettlebells. I want to like them it's just getting the moves right.

I never got into the old Firms with the library/mansion setting, classical music, broom props, etc... I know they are good workouts but they seemed to be more aimed towards an older group with the setting and the music (no offense to anyone).. who works out in a library with classical music though?

Yoga and even more so pilates just don't click with me, but I recently found Classical Stretch which for some reason I love.

I tried so hard to get into Insanity and just could not. Someone else mentioned, the Bob Harper dvds, I bought the first set, and I just don't like any of it, not the workout or his persona in those dvds.

Could not connect with Spin either, I really did try, but I just don't see the point in "forcing" myself to do something any longer.

My two go to faves are kickboxing/boxing and any kind of weight lifting. I used to love bootcamp style workouts too, but my tastes have changed and they are not calling to me these days.

I completely agree - Hated TJ and Chalene...soooo annoying!

I do however love rebounding! I rebound every morning and many evenings - it always puts me in a great mood and is so easy to fit into my day.

Love all of Cathe's workouts! She really is so much better than anybody out there that I have tried. I love her no nonsense, yet incredibly expert routines.

I second whoever said Chalene Johnson. While she is tolerable in Turbo Fire she is extremely annoying in ChaLEAN Extreme: she just chatters way too much without thinking that perhaps we will have to listen to her rantings/stories hundreds of times. NO thank you. I also don't like the over-the-top bubbliness of her personality: again, I find it irritating.

In contrast, Cathe is friendly without being excessively chatty and more motivating because she does the workouts with you: HUGE pet peeve with Chalene and Beach Body in general is that the instructors rarely do all the reps with you - don't tell me how hard I should be working when you yourself are doing nothing!

Last edited:
I am also someone who just can't get into spinning. There is such a huge dread factor for me; I guess it is just boring to me. I do love outdoor cycling; it just a different animal I guess.

I absolutely love step aerobics; it was what really got me into home-based fitness DVDs to begin with - Cathe's step with weights DVD (can't remember the actual name, the one that has "Buttercup" in the music) came with my first Step purchase - thank goodness, because then I was hooked on Cathe from then on!

STEP!! Hate it, hate it. Always feels like I should put my hair in pigtails and grab a pair of pom-pons to me.

Also, don't like running - my knees particularly dislike it. Actually, anything high impact - my body just doesn't appreciate all the jumping and jarring.

Love kickboxing and spinning. Weight training. Yoga (although I really need to do it more often).

For me, I just can't get into barre or ballet inspired workouts. I thought I would like it and tried several but every one I did bothered my knees. I think it was the plies in releve that did it. I could try to do it flat footed but I finally realized I wasn't enjoying the workouts enough to bother. Really anything dance inspired bugs me. Zumba, forget it!

I love pilates and yoga but I can't get into "spiritual" yoga. It has to have athletic cueing and straight forward for me to like it. Also, I got a Turbo Fire Hiit dvd in a trade and previewed it for the first time last night. I've never seen Chalene before and I couldn't believe how annoying she was. Her mannerisms and the way she talks is awful. I don't want to anger any Chalene fans but I was really glad I didn't buy the turbo fire set!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.