Workout Rant: I Hate Drills!

Also hate drills. I like to think about complex choreography: makes the workout go faster and takes my mind off the fact that I'm suffering. I miss the Rhythmic Step and Step Blast days. Repetition like in Athletic Training is not only boring but a recipe for injury.

UNLVCrjChick said:
Also hate drills. I like to think about complex choreography: makes the workout go faster and takes my mind off the fact that I'm suffering. I miss the Rhythmic Step and Step Blast days. Repetition like in Athletic Training is not only boring but a recipe for injury.

Agree! My knees are feeling it! I been trying to stick with step like syep blast but I now have to use a lower step because my knees are starting to feel the lunges jumps tuck jumps. Ouch. So for now I will keep it all low impact and smaller step height til they recover hopefully.

Well, for me at least, this isn't true. I sustained more injury and pain in my knees when I tried to do all the twisty, torquey complex choreography. This is especially true with step aerobics but even so for floor aerobics. I had a lot of problems with this before I discovered that straight forward drills and plyometrics...where I can focus completely and control my form with perfection, is the way to keep my knees happy. YMMV I guess.

I agree that really complex choreography with turning torque the knee to. But that's y I do not turn on step either. I can't do like I usex to I somethimes have to stay on one side of the step. But jumping and repeating moves over n over does to. So I think the answer is both on modetation. That's what I'm trying like With jumps I can't jump to high and I guess I just continue to search for low impact non twisty stuff. Lol and pray I can still stay in shape.

I like BOTH! I guess I'm an "and" person not an "OR" person. I like drills AND I like choreography. My favorite is to do one day with a drill-heavy workout like CF. Then the next day, I'll reach for SJP. Then back to TTM. Next might be low max. And on and on. Thanks to Cathe, we have all kinds of choices. Both types have many benefits. I really like variety.

Having said that, if I do the newer workouts, and I do, I much prefer doing each drill once and not have to repeat it. Cathe must have realized there was a boredom factor in having to repeat the drills, as she wrote in the workout explanations for Xtrain

"We keep the boredom factor down by not repeating any exercise throughout the program."

YES! THIS! I am a fan of drills, but not a fan of repetition! I always say that with intense cardio (hiit, tabata, intervals), to eliminate dread IMO, you have to eliminate repetition! Finally someone who agrees with me!!!

Natasha

mini-natty said:
YES! THIS! I am a fan of drills, but not a fan of repetition! I always say that with intense cardio (hiit, tabata, intervals), to eliminate dread IMO, you have to eliminate repetition! Finally someone who agrees with me!!!

Natasha[/QUOTE

I agree, although I don't mind repeating once, like in HiiT DWP,CF, CCC, TTM, etc. Anything more than that and I begin wondering when it will be over, even though I can appreciate the great cardio workout I'm getting, or sometimes I'll just focus on seeing if i can do better in the next round, but too much repetition is not a good thing, aka Amy Dixon's Breathless Body. It's a fab cardio workout, but too repetitive for my tastes so I don't reach for it often.

I agree, although I don't mind repeating once, like in HiiT DWP,CF, CCC, TTM, etc. Anything more than that and I begin wondering when it will be over, even though I can appreciate the great cardio workout I'm getting, or sometimes I'll just focus on seeing if i can do better in the next round, but too much repetition is not a good thing, aka Amy Dixon's Breathless Body. It's a fab cardio workout, but too repetitive for my tastes so I don't reach for it often.

Yes, I also don't mind doing the exercises once and then moving on. Kick my butt hard with 30 sec of tuck jumps, and then I don't want to see tuck jumps ever again!!! That's probably why I don't reach for CCC often, because mentally I dread having to repeat the drill sequence TWICE within the circuit :mad:. Two jumps forward into a squat thrust push-up repeated [enter throw-up face here]. Ya, I'm picky sometimes :eek:.

Humm I think we can all agree on that.. hate repetitive movement as well.. and maybe that is what the op meant as well. Plus for step lovers, I'm afraid those days may be over because even otner Instructors seem to be eliminating the step. I don't truly LoVe Complex choreography to where I can't catch on. But sample of my fave is low impact circuit that step is not really complex but it isn't DRILLs either. I can get in and get out fun factor is way up there... plus my heart rate is up for a long period if I do just cardio premix ..

mini-natty said:
Two jumps forward into a squat thrust push-up repeated [enter throw-up face here]. Ya, I'm picky sometimes :eek:.

This really made me laugh because I have the same reaction at that part. LOL

I've been surprised by how much I like the new drill-style stuff. I was a real choreography lover, especially Amy Bento, Christi, etc. Loved learning complex stuff and feeling kind of dancey.

But having done TTM, AB, CSS, etc for the past few months, I recently pulled out ASC3 and gave up! I got about halfway through a combo and just thought I can't be bothered! :p I just wanted to get on with it and that's what all these new DVDs do for me. I think they're particularly good if you don't want to spend too much time working out - I do anything from 30-60 mins in one session and the complex choreography just takes too long for me to get anywhere.

As many have already said, each to their own and I love the range of stuff that's available for us home-exercisers. :)

I just wanted to comment on Ronne's thread - I recently discovered Amy Bento's premixes on ASC2, 3, and 4. So if you get to the point where you really know the combos and you don't want a workout training each combo because you are bored with it, try some of these premixes - the ones where she puts in the "Power Up" sections are great. Some of these are shorter, and really just to the point; combined combos 1+2, power up, combined combos 3+4, power up, etc. Tough stuff. Just a thought to help mix it up . . .

myputer said:
"We keep the boredom factor down by not repeating any exercise throughout the program."

So I'm looking forward to seeing these new workouts.

I was happy to read that nothing is repeated in Xtrain. It took me a long time to even try the LIS workouts bc there was so much repetition. Once I made myself do them and started to se changes in my body I started looking forward to them. I really saw results when I used LIS exclusively.
I'm the complex choreography type but I love drills thrown into the mix like in body max 2 or step blast. I had a hard time at first with the repeating drills in the more recent workouts but now they aren't so bad bc I saw such nice results from LIS. Plus there are premixes like for Afterburn that shuffles things around.

Plus for step lovers, I'm afraid those days may be over because even otner Instructors seem to be eliminating the step.

Sadly to say, I think this might be the case :(. I don't think complex step is as big as it used to be. In this day and age, I think most do not want to "learn" their exercise routines. They just want a quick get in/out heart pumper that will not require getting frustrated and wasting time learning moves. I understand that completely. However, I love variety in my cardio and have fallen in love with complex step after 1+ years of devoting my time (and patience!) learning. I love the feeling of mastering a step routine and I have so much fun doing it! Personally, the end result is worth it :).

I really do *hope* that for us complex step lovers, Cathe comes out with another one in the near future. We may be the minority now, but we still exist!

Natasha

I'm not a step fan, but for those who are, Amy Bento said one of her 2 next videos will be step, this is from her FB page:

"Yes! I am going to film 2 workouts in Jan or Feb. My fall filled up beyond capacity to film. However, I will be in LA with performbetter.com teaching Advanced Step Challenge (new stuff) , Kettlebell Power (new stuff) and Kickboxing on the rebounder (new stuff) in September. So I am going to do some testing before I committ to what I am going for the second video. The first will be Adavnced Step Challenge 5 that is for certain. :) I will take requests. I have written down a ton of them thus far."

As far as drills, I like them, BUT I don't like too much repetition of the same drill so even though it's not common in videos, would prefer each drill be unique. Knowing it's coming around again creates a little "dread" for me in workouts.

I HATE HATE HATE drills too. Especially the bouncy bouncy ones (tuck jumps anyone? Yuck.) I'm 45 years old and I'm wondering why I have to pound on my body to get minimal results. Just what I look forward to - uncomfortable, questionably-helpful-to-me, possibly harmful repetitive movements. (Don't even get me started on the slide 'n' glide discs.)

I do miss steady state cardio and choreographed step. Sometimes it's just nice to let your mind free while your body works hard.

But I'm with the OP on drills. Boo! Enough!:eek::confused:

I like drills. I usually end up doing a drill from Insanity or Cathe if I'm getting bored with some drill in a program. Today I did Cardio Supersets and did some side to side abs and knee ins on the last round. Yes, it's not totally low impact, but most of the workout was and I like to mix it up...and I'm allowed to! There are so many like side suicides and the squat jack that I like that I throw in different dvd's-CCC comes to mind. First time through that I might do all tuck jumps the first round and then change it the second. For me it's not about the exact move as it is the time of the move and giving it my all. I also do this during Insanity and change up which level I do for Breathless Body.

Just my two cents...take it or leave it, right?! (Cathe...Slow and Heavy maybe?)

Beth

Interesting responses, I like both drills and step routines. I think it provides a happy balance to my workout. Wouldn't choose one over the other because I get bored by doing one all the time.

I don't mind repeating as long as it's no more than 3 times b/c then yes I agree it does get boring and you want to move on to something else.

I enjoy drills because they are quick and straightforward, nothing to think about. Also with woukouts like CF and TTM the music is so awesome that it helps me get through easier, gives me that extra boost.

But I do like having the option of both forms of workout.

I don't hate them (HITT) but I have to make myself do the things. I schedule one (HITT) workout a week. I don't mind longer workout with a HITT or blast put in the workout. I also don't mine learning routines. I still like Turbo Fire but having done the series for a year. I need the change. I'm loving Cathe workout. I've only bought her older stuff which I love. I don't even have one of her newer ones on my wish list.

I'm sure I will get them but right now I'm just tired of the modern stuff. I'm loving step workouts which are new to me. I never used workout until a couple of years ago. I was a runner until my ankles said enough

I love the circuit workouts cardio, blast, weight. They give a great workout without the boredom. I even plan on learning the more complex step. It makes the workout more of a challenge for me. Its something I am working toward. It give me goal verses just exercising because well I'm suppose to exercise KWIM.

I know in my 20's and 30's running was just fun cause I could play great music and make it a interval or a steady state workout. I change location. I kept it a challenge with changing scenery Its important to me doing dvd that it has verity and great music.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.