Workout DVD regrets

Taebo - all that counting??? I gave them aaaall away.
Jillian - I just can't stand her.
Sharon Twombly zero to sixty - I wanted to like this workout but didn't.
Tracey Staehle Kickbox Challenge - just so choppy.

I agree with Stebby - Cathe is the master (or is that mistress?)

Tonique.

I have all of them but Cardio Mat. Why? I couldn't tell you. It was my first and last bandwagon. In February, I went on a frenzy. There are no discernible warm ups or cool downs. The "warm up" is just a lot of deep stretching. There is no cueing and no warming up the muscles before stretching. I think it is meant to be artistic. I don't want "artistic" I want "safe."

Tonique Premier opens up with jumping jacks--no warm up. :confused:

She can't count reps. She says 20 and you get to the last one and there's 20 more. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I want to like her work outs, but she really needs to learn to count reps and provide proper warm ups and cool downs.

I agree regarding Jari Love. Her older DVDs are much better and well-received: Slim and Lean, Get Extremely Ripped, Get Ripped and Chiseled, Get Ripped to the Core. I had visible results with these.

I also gree about Jackie Warner. I will be selling it online. :D

I haven't done Billy Blank DVDs in a long time. I do not recall the counting but I must not enjoy these since I can't remember what I did with these videos.

LOL!!!

:D

It is beyond me. All I know is that her manner of expression and the way she speaks reminds me of some of the lower elements of people my husband used to arrest. the underbelly of society. I am sorry and you can hate me, but the way she talks and laughs is the same and I can't stand it... I don't hate her...but I know too much about it and it bothers me too much.

Wow, I was considering ordering that set, but ordered Cathe's High Reps instead. I like some of Jillian's workouts, good for getting back into the swing:)

My only real major regret was buying Jillian's Body Revolution - what was I thinking???????? It's those darn infomercials they're so convincing!!!!

I like Jillian's workouts for the most part, Shred It with Weights and No More Trouble Zones and her others but I should of known better with this one because she is big on compound movements and I hate them. I did the first week and quit, I just didn't click with it, maybe when I finished with my MET Rx 180 rotation I'll go back and try it again (maybe!).

...Cheryl

KJB2012 said:
Wow, I was considering ordering that set, but ordered Cathe's High Reps instead. I like some of Jillian's workouts, good for getting back into the swing:)

Oh I think you're going to LOVE High Reps...one of my favorites. :)

Not bashing, but the latest Firms. :(I'll invest in DVD versions of the Classics.

Oh dear...this is my dvd regrets....investing in the FIRM Classics... (with the exception of Tracy Long Tortoise and Hare which I don't think qualify as Classics)....I was just thinking if I should sell mine...because I regret getting my Classic 1,2,3,& 6. I didn't bother with 5...I regreted that one wayyy back in the 90's on VHS!

It's so funny when old threads are revived. I knew this one looked familiar :D.

Tracy,

I just saw this. I know it's a few months late, but I just wanted to say I definitely don't hate you. I think you are pretty awesome actually :cool:. I always go out of my way to read your posts :).

BTW, I would never judge anyone for their personal views. That's what makes the world go round :).

Natasha

Thanks mininatty, what a sweetie.

Turbo Fire - I heard alot about this series and was new to Chalene. The pace seemed frantic to me. I did it once and traded it away. I also got Turbo Jam about the same time and traded it without trying it. Turned me off to Chalene completely.

Insanity - These are awesome workouts - just not for me. The high impact and intensity was beyond me. I do a workout every now and then when I want to push myself, but 60 days of this? Thanks, but no! High dread factor! :eek:

P90 - I'm not a big fan of Tony's personality. My husband likes the system and got good results, so I'm glad that someone in the house got something out of it. :)

I love this post, need to look here before decide to get new workouts....had been considering Kettleworx, so glad I saw this.....

I hated, hated Insanity...I love hard workouts but that had a MAJOR dread factor. I did do it all the way thru but I was never so happy to get finished with a workout and I promptly sold it on Ebay.

Did not enjoy Barry's Bootcamp at all.

I loved the earlier Firm workouts but they lost their appeal and quality after Anna Benson left. They had such good ideas. They went down from there. I have the same thoughts on Fitprime as the previous posters.

I notice now you practically have to be an athlete to do some of these new workouts and I think that is a shame, sometimes you want a good solid workout without all the new add-on equipments and fancy moves. Basics can be a good thing....leigh:)

I think I have at least 15 dvd workouts that I either hate or can not do. This is why I try to rent dvds from various places such as blockbuster or kineticflix.com. I am now renting Cardio Karate and Mindy's Gliding workouts ( 3 at a time). If I love the rentals then I will buy it.

I have a couple pilates and barre workouts that I've only done once or twice, and now they sit collecting dust. They're good workouts, but I guess I just need to accept the fact that these types of workouts bore me. I also bought some urban rebounder DVDs that don't see much action.

i also regret shock cardio and i shouldnt have bought To the Max since i do not do step anymore. if sc used dumbells in adition to the anaerobics i might like it.

laura

My Workout Regrets:

Oh there are going to be more than I can list. I've owned hundreds and hundreds and still I lost count years ago. I have maybe 75 left after yet another purge.

* Jillian Michaels. I can't stand her "wanna-be, I'm too tough for you, Billy-Bad Ass" mentality. Really Jillian?! It's kind of like those that talk too much about their sex lives; often it's because they don't have one so they're making it up as they go along. I suspect the same with her "toughness".

* Michelle Dozois. I tried several of her workouts over the years and only kept her Ultimate workout for the 30 minute total body heavy workout. I figured it'll come in handy for post-baby.

* Turbo Fire. Can we not go at warp speed please?

* Billy Blanks. Great for learning how to count though!

* Cathe's STS Cardio and actually STS Strength. I didn't click with the high impact of cardio and the strength workouts were too long.

* I love Tracie Long when she was with the Firm. I have most of her newest workouts and I cannot for the life of me get myself to reach for them more than 2-3x per year. I've kept them bc I am hoping to perhaps like them post-baby, but I'm pretty certain that's not happening. I cannot explain it either. Her workouts are solid and strong and her cueing is perfect. But something about the workout or set or I don't know what doesn't appeal to me.

* Stephanie Vitorino.

* The Firm Express. Again warp speed and flinging weights around is not safe. I am sorry but there is no way I am going to attempt to lift anything over 7lbs going at the pace they want you too. I'm 30. I need my joints for at least a few more years, I should think.

* P90 and P90x. No and No. Tony has got to go!

* Pretty much anything BB.com for that matter.

* Amy Bento. I do not like her. Can't stand her in fact. She's constantly repeating "Come on". When an instructor has catch phrases that they repeat multiple times per workout, they do not stay on my shelf!

* KCM. She has a nice personality but her workouts are not for me. I don't like her cardio, I find it boring. As for her strength workouts, I find them overly creative and risky for the joints, especially the shoulders. I can modify if I chose to, but then what's the point of buying a DVD when I modify a good portion of the workout?!

I am finding in general though that I am moving away from fitness dvds as a whole. I like getting outdoors and doing my own thing more. Going back to an old school form of weight lifting at the gym or using what I have at home seems to appeal most to me right now anyhow. I am sure I could add more to the list but I'll save that for another time.

This is my first post and I could not resist replying.

My Workout DVD Regret is anything Billy Blanks. I got annoyed because you would do 10 sets on one side because he was too busy talking and only 5 sets on the other side! Talk about imbalance! If he wants to talk to us, then he needs someone to count for him. Ugh!

What a fun thread!

And therapeutic, too!

Okay, my list:

1. Turbo Jam: What was I thinking? I'm not the hip-swiveling, gyrating type! :eek:

2. Everything Jillian: all unopened -- gifts from a well-meaning person (DH)

3. Phil Ross Advanced Russian Kettlebells: I'm experienced with kettlebells, but this workout is insanely dangerous!

4. Keith Weber Extreme Kettlebell Workout: Boring, terrible production values.

5. FitPrimes: I loved The original Firm videos, but never grew to love these!

6. All "New" Firm videos... never grew to love these, either! The best thing they ever did for me was make me look for greener grass, and that's how I found Cathe's workouts.

I'm sure there are more that I don't care for, but these I actively dislike.

We should start of list of "Workouts We'd Never Give Up." :D My #1 pick would be the STS series!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.