working out body parts once per week

lulu68

Cathlete
Hello,

Does anyone workout different body parts once a week? I tipically workout shoulders,biceps, triceps, back, and chest 3 times a week, with cardio everyday. I was recomended to workout body parts once per week with less cardio. Is anyone trying this method and what results have you gotten. I would like to get more muscle defition but at the same time I don't want to look bulky I prefer more of the long lean muscle defition. I'm totally confuse!

Lulu

Lulu:

set your mind at rest. You cannot get bulky because you lack the testosterone that would allow you to exponentially grow muscle tissue. What you can do is grow stronger muscles which will create a denser, more compact body for you. And to do that, less frequent, but more concentrated lifting, would help.

You are probably doing more of an endurance type lifting program right now, since you lift three times per week and don't seem to need that much rest. But if you changed it up to more of a strength focussed lifting program, you would lift less often, but with heavier weights, which requires longer rest periods to allow the muscles to repair themselves and grow/increase their strength.

For this, you can use Cathe's Gym Styles series, or her Slow & Heavy or the new 4 Day Split. The last two use heavier weights and would promote greater strength gains. With these 2 programs the idea is that you work each muscle group once per week, but each time you work it thoroughly. You then maximize muscle repair by allowing sufficient rest for each muscle group. Of course, depending upon your energy levels and desire, you could work each muscle group in this way twice a week. But greater gains are not guaranteed and you may start getting tired.

Whether or not you should reduce the amount of cardio you do is up to you and it depends on the reason why you do cardio. For many, working out has an aesthetic goal and they reduce their cardio in order to maximize the growth and appearance of their muscles. But, for many others, cardio is a necessary stress buster and mood lifter and reducing it might be counterproductive in that sense.

It's really up to you and what your goals and motivations are.

Clare

Clare - you seem to post a lot, and know a lot, so here I am with a question. I am considering STS, and know that I am going to get Gym Styles, Muscle Max, and probably the Slow and Heavy series and 4 Day Split. I don't want to overdo it and have DVD's that I would not need and/or use so would Pyramid, Supersets, Push/Pull, Power Hour be overkill? My thoughts are to put my gym membership on hold and try working out at home, in hopes of seeing greater gains in my body. Currently, of Cathe's series, I just have Cardio Fusion, Low Max, and Drill Max and am finally getting the steps down in the step portions :)

Also, in the above post, you mentioned that some people reduce cardio in order to maximize the growth and appearance of their muscles. How does this work? I am no cardio machine, but do it to increase my lung capacity and to burn off any excess flab hanging around (!) so I don't fear that I do too much of that, but I am trying to understand more so that I can make the most of what I do. Thank you!!

Shana

Shana,

I worked out briefly with a personal trainer who felt I needed to build lean muscle mass (the only bulk on me was/is fat and the objective was not to turn me into a body builder...rather to change my body composition by increasing muscle). He prescribed a 3 day split hitting each body part really hard and less cardio (because according to him overdoing cardio would be counter productive to the muscle building work I was doing by burning muscle apart from fat). He wanted me to limit cardio to 3 moderately intense interval workouts of not more than 30 minutes each per week. His weight training was gruelling.

I dont know if this theory that overdoing cardio will burn off muscle is true.

I got great results (I shrank - he explained it as increased metabolism from building muscle leading to fat loss, apart from the calories burned during exercise. I turned firm.) I get similar results when I use split weight-training routines from Cathe. I also realized that doing more cardio does not change my body-shape results. I do not seem to lean out more or burn muscle with lots of cardio, nor get fatter when I do less. Eating clean and weight-training hard are the top two factors in my experience - at least for my body.

HTH until Clare or Cathe get to this.

~* Vrinda *~

Shana:

STS will include the greatest variety in terms of weight training approaches and will be the most over-arching, comprehensive training program you can buy. Sounds like a sound investment to me. It will take you through endurance (higher reps, lighter weight, relatively speaking!) through to moderate weight and finally to fewer reps and heavier weight strength work. This system will give you the best results because it includes both muscle confusion and progressive overload, both of which you need to make the most of your muscles, see what they can do for you, and what sort of strength you can build. This approach has the best possibility of making changes in your body.

How much else should you get depends upon your budget really. I would not rush out and buy everything now, but select a few DVDs for now, something to cut your teeth on and get started building some muscle and strength before the STS comes out. So, go ahead with Gym Styles, MM and maybe the other 2 series you mentioned (4 DS and S&H). With just GS and MM you have a lot to be getting on with, especially because it can take 4-6 weeks of serious training and commitment to a program to see results. It is at that point that you start to gain a sense of how your body reacts to different training methods and then you can start to tweak, decide if you want to add in some endurance lifting (like the Pyramids DVDs for example) or continue with strength work but with a different focus (S&H). The good thing about 4DS, of course, is that it is a comprehensive training program all on its own with multiple cardio offerings, a total body weights program and enough premixes to allow you to do anything you want with the program. If you are enjoying Cathe's cardio, it sounds like this would be a good investment for you too. Maybe put S&H on hold for now?

Don't be in too much of a rush! Cathe's DVDs aren't going anywhere, and she's always developing new projects. So, if you spend judiciously now, you will have cash to spend on the project she develops later in the year, if you are interested.

Re: cardio. Researchers and exercise physiologists recommend reducing cardio sessions to a select few sessions of High Intensity Interval training only. They say that this works the heart, helps burn body fat without requiring your body to tap into your muscles to break them down for energy supply, as can happen, they say, with prolonged cardio sessions. You can compare the body types and muscular development of sprinters versus long distance runners, for example. The degree to which ordinary folks like you and me, who want to be healthy, fit, look after our hearts and bones and be the best "us" that we can be, should be concerned about this is up for grabs and largely, in my opinion, for us to decide. I am not a body builder, I am not about to enter a Ms. Olympia contest and I like cardio so I am not giving it up or significantly reducing it.

Again, it comes back to what I said earlier: it all depends on your goals and motivations. I want to be a runner, a good runner. I love endurance work, but I also care about my bones and heading off osteoporosis, so I am sticking with the heaviest weights I can manage too. The experts would say that these two goals defeat each other. Well, it's my body and I am going to do what makes me happy!

Hope this helps Shana! Remember: there aren't really any rights or wrongs (except maybe eating Big Macs on a daily basis!), there is only what works for you. You have to take other people's advice and experiences (including mine) into advisement while you work out a program (the particular combination of cardio and weights) that makes you healthy, fit and happy.

Clare

Hey Lulu i just started Fitnessfreak's Muscle Building& Defining Rotation it works 1 body part per day per week I just completed Week 1 it was the slow and heavy & Power Hour series. I had 2 days of yoga 2 cardio days 10-10-10 cardio only & Step Blast premix of Combo 1 & 3 & Challenge, 2 days of abs and today is stretchmax#1 or rest day but I am doing treadmill work (I ate poorly last night). I love how my upper body is looking but I did do some lifting last rotation. Although I am not lifting that heavy there is no bulking going on I have nice woman muscles. I play it smart and do not rush it I have come along ways from starting. Next week is PUB & MM, Week 3 is GYM STYLES & MIS, WEEK 4 is PS & BM

"Double Knot your laces and let's move on"
-Cathe Friedrich

Vee and Maddiesmum - Thank you so much for the input. I think I have decided on 4DS because everyone seems to love it so and it would be a good change for a week here and there, and for strictly weights, the Gym Styles, MM, S&H to begin with. I'll continue with the cardio DVD's I have, walking, and since biking is my fave, I'll certainly keep on with that. From there, maybe PUB and PLB later, maybe not. I am already somewhat fit from lifting at the gym but seemed to be reaching a plateau and need something different and more effective to truly achieve what I want with my body. Thank you again. Shana

<Fitnessfreak's Muscle Building& Defining Rotation >
Could you post this rotation please. I'm doing 4DS right now and loving these workouts but I was thinking of doing a one body part per day per week rotation.
Thanks,
Cindy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.