work commute

kariev

Cathlete
i wanted to know what is the drive time for you to get to work? i'm still on the job hunt and i'm thinking about taking a job that is 1 hour away from me. It would only be a month or 2 at the most but i'm not sure because its quite a ways. So i was just curious to see how far you all commute. As crazy as it sounds, part of me doesn't want to take it becasue i won't be able to do my a.m. workouts anymore unless i get up at 4am which is NOT happening.

I just started a new job on Thursday that is aobut 45 mins away. Prior to that, I was commuting about 30 mins each way. Before having my son, I worked in an office that was an hour away on a GOOD day! I've also worked as close as 15 mins to my home. It really all depends on if you can deal with it and if the salary is worth the cost of the commute.

PS Funny you mention 4am. I am going to have to start getting up at 4 or 430 am every morning to get in an AM work out now that I have this new job. I have to leave the house around 7am and am not one to roll out of bed and jump right into my routine. I need atleast 30 mins for wake up and coffee time! In addition, I have a 4 year old that I have to get ready for school. FUN TIMES AHEAD! lol

Last edited:
Ten minutes, max. No highways, but the lights hold me up, and the fact that the highest speed limit I go through is 35 mph. I live a little less than four miles from my office.

Never say never, I guess, but I can't imagine spending two hours a day getting to and from work. Maybe for a couple of months if the pay was really good and I had no choice.

Last edited:
I'm spoiled - 10 mins. including highway driving and I come home for lunch! I love it! If I ever have to work someplace I can't come home for lunch every day, I think I'd just die!

I drive 27 miles to and from work. It's all county roads and is about a 40 min. commute-each way. I love my job so I'm willing to drive the miles.

However, I when I lived "in the big city" I was about 10 miles from work and it took me 40-45 min.

1 hour each way for the past 13 years. Honestly, the key is to really like the job and to have some good music playing on the radio. I am getting tired, but I love my job to much to leave. Good luck with your job search!!
Lisa

10 minutes max - the only hold up I might get is the occasional flock of turkeys crossing the road! I love my commute, the job, not so much - but the commute makes it easier!

Michelle

I leave my house at 7 am, drop the girls off at the babysitter and pull into the parking lot at 7:20! If I don't have the kids it is about 10 minutes or less. I used to live closer. I can't imagine spending a lot of time in the car.

I work in another state. My commute takes about 35 - 45 minutes depending on traffic. It is mostly a 4 lane highway so there are few stoplights and lots of wildlife. I enjoy my commute, my job not so much but I get paid well so the commute is worth it. I live in a small town so it's hard to find jobs.

I just moved about 3.5 miles from where I work so I'll be able to walk to and from work most days.

Prior to moving, I had a 20 mile, 30-35 minute drive which I found tolerable.

For a while, I commuted about 45 miles and it took anywhere from 50 minutes to 2 hours depending on traffic. The unpredictability was more annoying to me than the time and made it really difficult to schedule evening workouts.

Sheila

I drive an hour each way. Usually it's longer than that due to errands and dropping my kids off at school.

I agree that good music is a big plus. Lately I've really been enjoying listening to books on cd - I actually look forward to my ride.

Anything from 35 minutes to an hour for me, and I resigned myself long ago to waking up at 4am to get my workouts done. I actually kind of like it...

40-45 minutes each way, but it's a lovely low-stress drive. I find that I use the time to gear up in the morning and wind down at night.

When I lived in Boston I spent 20 minutes in the car and 50 minutes on the train. It took me an hour to get anywhere. You just adapt.

Now it is 15 minutes, and the job prior, less than 5. I really never minded the longer commute. Like the others have said it was my time to listen to music and recently, a good book.

Good luck!

I commute about 45 minutes one way. On a good day, I can get it down to 35 minutes, but it depends on who I am behind (lots of one lane roads and no passing lanes). I honestly like a good 30 minute commute because it gives me time to mentally prepare in the morning and to destress on the way home. 45 minutes is pushing it for me though. If it's only for a month or two though, you can probably handle it. I have brother n' laws who have been doing it for years. I could never do that, but I could make myself do it for a few months.

My job is 90-120 minutes away!! AND I live in Northern Minnesota.......it's cold & the weather can make the roads awful. I'm nuts!!! I work 3-10hr shifts/week. The good news about living so remotely is that I don't deal with traffic though! Just have to look out for all the deer.

You get used to it. It's all about mindset....and not letting OTHERS bring you down about the drive.

I've been driving a ways to/from work since my 1st "real" job. Nothing in town pays decent. I'm currently about 30-35 miles from work, normally its a 45 min to an hour drive. Saturdays are a consistent 40 mins, during the week it varies. Tack on another 15-30 mins if it rain, and about 2 1/2 - 3 hours each way if it snows. People can't drive if there is any kind of weather.

Prior to that, I was about the same. Before that I was about 60 miles (office transfer w/ in same company) and that was about an hour and 15 or hour and 30, depending on what time I got out the door. An extra half hour for rain, and about 4 hours if it snowed (more often than not called in on those days) and a steady hour on Sat. And $4 in tolls each way. Before that I was at the same company, in another location, about 30 miles from home, and that was an easy 45 min ride, pretty consistent, unless the weather was way nasty, then it would push 2 hours.

That whole last paragraph was all the same company, but they were opening/closing offices and I moved offices 3 times in 5 years to help straighten people out - I really don't job hop that much.

And my 1st "real" job was also about 30 miles from home, there was less traffic then, and I had to be at work early, and left early, so that was about 30-45 mins each way.

So yeah, I've always driven a ways to work. It is only annoying when the weather is bad and you're stuck forever. Just make sure you have gas :):p

DH is lucky - he about 15 miles away and it takes him a little less than half an hour to get to work. He goes thru towns, whereas I have to take the interstate which doesn't move all that quickly in the morning.

What you really need to do is consider the extra gas money, travel time (my time is worth money) and wear/tear on your car. When I moved to the office where I was paying the big bucks in tolls, I negotiated a sizeable raise to cover my increased mileage, time, tolls, and car wear/tear.

So I'm used to driving, I always say I'm going to look for a job in town, but I have a hard time getting motivated to look when I already have a job I like.

Nan

We used to live in NJ and commute into NYC. On the weekends or late at night, it would take 20 minutes by car. Our regular workday commute was 1 hr, no less, by train or bus. It was frustrating to know we weren't covering much ground and that it was just an issue of volume.

Now, we live in the country (Germany) and my DH has a 1 hr commute which he doesn't mind nearly as much because we're that far out of Frankfurt and he loves living in the country.

For us, though the time it takes is the same, the difference was what the commute represented. The hour doesn't seem as bad because you're moving (instead of in gridlocked traffic) and there's time for a transition from work / home.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.