Windmills - What's the benefit?

MelanieC

Cathlete
I'm really enjoying Chiseled Upper Body in the ICE series, but one move that I'm not quite getting is Windmills.

What's the point of this exercise? What body part is it working/strengthening?

Thanks for the input!

I have shoulder instability from an old injury and this move has re-dislocated my shoulder when I've tried it in the past. So I would say it probably works the rotator cuff...

I might be mistaken, but I've seen windmill as something inspired or taken from Iyengar yoga. As already stated it works the obliques, back & stabilizes the shoulders, ribs and hips. In yoga it is used to relieve gastritis among other things and is inadvisable (according to Iyengar) for anyone with disc issues. I would suggest trying Trikonasana/Triangle pose up against the wall if you are new to this move to get the alignment right to later 'graduate' to windmill with no weight and then to windmill with weights. You can also experiment with holding one weight in the lower hand only, or upper, or both. Because I have a issues with my right shoulder, I just hold a weight in the lower hand - never in the elevated/top hand. The angle just doesn't work for me.
images

upload_2016-3-8_23-35-0.jpeg

What's the point of this exercise? What body part is it working/strengthening?

Interesting topic! I love when such question pop up to pick brains;)

I love this move for the challenge it put on all deltoid muscles. For me I feel I need to isolate my delt --- Tension.
Shoulders are worked isometrically. What I also like is the to let my hip,pulling lower abs do the hinging travelling up and down .
Visualise the hip socket:);), it stays put while the torso is flexing laterally.
Because I welcome as much stretching as possible, I get a nice leg stretching while travelling up and down.
I always make sure to keep my legs stiff :):)

Oh I did not mention stabilizer cause it has already been mentioned in previous posts.
I love moving while challenging stabilizers to stay put LOL:);)
Lower abs work hard:p

Last edited:
Wow - thanks everyone for your input! I find that if I know what a move is supposed to be strengthening, then I can focus on that, and I get much more out of the move. Really appreciate all your replies!

I might be mistaken, but I've seen windmill as something inspired or taken from Iyengar yoga. As already stated it works the obliques, back & stabilizes the shoulders, ribs and hips. In yoga it is used to relieve gastritis among other things and is inadvisable (according to Iyengar) for anyone with disc issues. I would suggest trying Trikonasana/Triangle pose up against the wall if you are new to this move to get the alignment right to later 'graduate' to windmill with no weight and then to windmill with weights. You can also experiment with holding one weight in the lower hand only, or upper, or both. Because I have a issues with my right shoulder, I just hold a weight in the lower hand - never in the elevated/top hand. The angle just doesn't work for me.
images

View attachment 4683

Awesome info, thanks Elsie!! I love this move, but have had a L5 disc bulge in the past.. so sometimes I skip this move, maybe I shouldn't be doing it all anymore.. I do like how it works my obliques tho :)

It's a weird move for me to do. It almost feels like I have to put my hip out of joint to do it. Is this how it is for everyone?

Beth

Beth-B-Fit, how tight is your piriformis? It may feel somewhat out of joint during lateral moves due to this. Just a possibility. There is, I think, something of a 'jutting' motion. ;)
I know it gets tight because I have to do the pigeon stretch for quite a while after workouts. Maybe that is it. I usually just end up doing the side bends with heavy weights instead of the windmill. If something doesn't feel quite right I modify to avoid injury! Listening to my body has really helped in that area!

Thanks,

Beth

I find that is a very weird move, honestly. But, I think it mainly works the shoulder that is holding up the weight. It is just so awkward, though!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.