Who doesn't want to get old???

Did you see the age 40 in my post anywhere? NO! I said 60's and 80's.Grandmotherly.I don't think 40 - 50 are old.Those ages don't bother me.Its the really, really old ages.I guess probably cause its closer to death.
Once again, something I have posted as been turned upside down.
Lori:)

70 is not really old either anymore! Want me to name some people that are that age or close who would amaze you if you knew? Ever here of Barbara Walters? Regis Philbin? Jane Fonda? Here's one in his mid-sixties ---Chuck Norris! You would never want to challenge him to anything! Oh, yes, Tina Turner is 65! I doubt if you could keep up with her on the stage dancing!

I think you opened a can of worms, my dear!

Just Do It! :)

I'm 48, but I didn't read the original post as offensive, since she said "In 50 years" (add that to her age, and it IS old, like in the 70's).

I see women my own age who look decidedly matronly and "old" compared to others who are in shape and look good.

When I look at some 70-80 year olds, I do wonder if short, permed, bluish-tinted hair is the norm. Though I see another 70+ year old woman from time to time in the grocery store, and she's very thin (too), has poofy red hair, and wears lots of red leather. It looks just as odd, IMO.

I think we can change the way the world sees "older" women (and everyone is "older" than someone.

I personally hate the effects of gravity the most, but I also hate the plastic surgery culture that makes people look more and more artificial.

I think that it's very normal to rebel against aging at certain times (for me, it's the 40's, when I'm seeing those signs of aging coming on more aggresively).

I may hate growing older, but it's better than the alternative! Better to spend my time worrying about something I CAN change (my fitness level, for example) than about something that is inevitible. I

Well, I for one can say I am fighting it every step of the way. I'm 37 & during the last few years my age has started to show--it's amazing how it happens so quickly! Almost overnight I had crow's feet, frown lines, all kinds of crap that make my heart sink when I see them.

Anyway, I spend oodles of money on moisturizers, hair care products, anything I can find that'll slow the aging process. I'm in the process of going through a minor cosmetic procedure to mitigate the smoker's wrinkles around my mouth. I'm starting my very own "plastic surgery savings account" so in 10 years I can do the full face. :p

Yes, I work out hard, yes, I diet a lot, yes, I try to lead a healthy lifestyle. But there are some things that are simply beyond our control--the aging of the skin (controlled somewhat by staying out of the sun & staying away from smoking, but it's too late for me now), changes in metabolism, etc. etc.

So, Lori, what I'm trying to say is you are not alone. I keep looking to women like Madonna, Cher, Jane Fonda, to reassure myself that I can still be beautiful in 20 or 30 years, but the whole prospect just scares the daylights out of me.

I'm reading all this with a smile on my face. Yes, Nancy is right, we are older and wiser. But every morning I smear anti-wrinkle stuff on my face and play with the neck thing. I wish I could chime in with how unimportant looks becomes with the age and wisdom, but I still wish I could wake up younger looking and skinny. It's a little bit easier to accept that I never will be either now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. I'm more worried about how old age will slow me down than how it will make me look. I hate to see older folks barely able to walk, or confined to a wheelchair.

Oh well. Whats new? And do you think some of these people who have mentioned have had no injections or surgerys of any sort? I highly doubt it.

Hey Dani, there are women my age (50) who can't get up off the floor without assistance! Rock on Dani's granny!

Michele

Fortunately I have been blessed with great skin. I was a lifeguard for 7 years and only wore "white stuff" on my nose. I also liked to party into the wee hours until I hit 30. But at almost 42, my skin doesn't show it. And I never wash my face at night or put anything fancy on it - I really do feel blessed!

I have struggled with my weight, but for the most part my fitness has been stable and I am also grateful for that.

When I look at what my "beauty" was in my 20's and 30's I see that yes, there was less sag, my skin was a little clearer and my boobs were a little more in the Northern Region (although not anymore, I had a reduction 2 years ago and they were relocated back North) the difference in my 40's is that I have an inner glow of happiness! I feel like I look better because I am much happier and more settled than I was back in the day. And it shows.

I do contribute heavily to my upkeep by splurging on my hair. Without chemicals I think that I am over 1/2 gray. I was going to let it go this year and my girlfriend said, "You know how people are blown away that you are 42? If you let you hair go gray, you can kiss that goodbye!" I'm just not ready to let that go, but someday I will!

It's nice to see women here who have a healthy respect for the balance between the aging process and "keeping yourself up". I really do have a lot of respect for this group and think about things in a different light or at least examine myself when posts like this come up!

Sieze the day, girls!

Melissa

Keep your head in line. Your butt will follow.

http://www.picturetrail.com/pellmel

I'm in my late thirties. I am seeing changes in skin, some laugh and worry lines popping up. I'm honestly not worried about it, though. I mean, of course I worry about some debilitating condition that would prevent me from being active but beyond that, I feel like, so what if I have them? Laugh and worry lines are a testament to the fact that I was willing to show up in life, that I was able to make it through the bad with a smile on my face (most of the time!). I'm not going to cover-up my age, like it's a shameful thing or surgically alter the history of my face because our youth obsessed culture teaches us that aged women are useless and invisible.

I can't help but think of my grandmother and great aunt, both of whom aged naturally with grace and elegance. Being old doesn't mean you let your appearance go to hell in a handbasket. I tend to think that the older ladies with garish make-up probably wore that much make-up as young women too. The overweight senior wearing grubby stretchpants and a oversized sweatshirt probably dressed like that as a younger woman.

And, frankly, I think it is the women who are scared of growing old who tend to look the most hideous. They either give up tending to their appearance around 55-60, or go way overboard with plastic surgery and end up looking like they escaped from Madame Tussauds.

All of this is just my opinion. I know there are many who feel otherwise.

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Sparrow,

I agree 100% and I couldn't have stated it more eloquently myself---really, I couldn't have. I suck at writing!:eek: ;)

Michele

Hey Lori! I understand ya girl! I don't look forward to the changes in my body and face. Nope, not one bit. I look at the women in my family and see the things I don't want happening to my body. A healthy lifestyle will only prevent so much. What is the line from Steel Magnolias... time marches on and sooner or later it marches across your face. I hope I inherited the good genetics, which my gene pool doesn't have a lot to offer. :)

But, the reason I don't want to get old is related to a decline in health. As long as I am spunky and full of piss and vinegar, I'll be ok.

BTW, the women on this forum are exceptions rather than the rule when you look around my town. I wonder sometimes if I am going to be one of the locals one day and then I remember ya'll.

<<My grandma is 80 and she looks young and hip still. She still buys hip clothes and has a super cute body!! She even goes jogging with me still!!>>

That's what I am talkin' about!!

Yes! That's my grandma! I'm so proud of her! I really look up to her. She's awesome!

My mom is 58 and she looks wonderful too. People still mistake her for my sister. :)

Here's my mom (58 yrs old) http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL280/1863976/8843029/122280507.jpg

They both take care of themselves. I hope to keep looking youthful just like them as I age. I'm in my late 30's now and so far, so good. No wrinkles or lines anywhere. I think a lot of it has to do with how much sun exposure a person gets. I make sure to use sunblock on my face in the summer and I don't tan.

My mom and grandma did the same thing. They eat healthy, workout, and never really tanned too much. Also, like Sparrow stated so well, they both were never afraid of growing old.

ETA! Oh, I highly recommend the book Beauty Evolution by Bobby Brown. The book is very informative, and it talks about looking beautiful at any age. From teenage years up to 100 yrs old. You can still be beautiful!
Here's a link to the book. http://tinyurl.com/a8lyl

I embrace it. I do very little to try to look younger. I am graying naturally and have plenty of wrinkles to show for my 43 years but I am slim, strong and energetic and that is youthful. I am often surprised how young people think I am and I realzie that all over again. Keep your body strong and your mind quick, your diet clean, eat dark chocolate and love the skin you are in. You couldn't pay me to go back in time. I think women start to get interesting in their thirties. ;) I am at my the height of my powers and intend to remain so like these wonderful role models who show it just gets better and better. I have to move my furniture so I can do cardio with Cathe and get my house in order so I'll be able to meet my best friend and neice for yoga this evening, so I'll shut up now except to say, bring it on, life. I hope to be doing this until the day I die and I have a clear intention to stay strong, move as quickly as I always have. Yesterday as I left yoga where the 20 year old instructor opened the class with handstand in my honor since it was my birthday, I was asked what I intended to do with my day and I replied that I intended to suck the marrow out of life and I did, because it's what I do. :)
Bobbi
Elves rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

I don't think I'm going to add anything new to this discussion. But I pretty much agree with Nancy. I am 48, thin, very fit, have a six pack and have had a baby who is now a 21 yr old triathlete.

Yet I also look in horror at most old people. Gads, they are (generally) fat, unhealthy, wear too much makeup, awful tacky clothes, weird short hair with unnatural colors. I think of them as "what not to do" and know that their bodies are simply NOT where I am headed. And at 48, I can feel pretty confident about that because most people MY age look pretty bad. Nancy's right about the neck and the facial skin issues, but still. I look pretty dang good. Although my face and hair were certainly vastly better when I was 23, of course. I don't think my body has ever looked as good. My boobs were never much of an asset, little flappy scraps, so as long as I strap them down, they look as good as they can.

I think of most old people as "your purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others!" And some as very inspiring role models.

I belong to a bike club, and there is a 67 yr old triathlete that leads rides and kicks my BUTT on long hill climbs. She had 4 kids, and runs bikes and swims many times each week. And there are a dozen bike club members in their sixties, all of them fit, thin and awesome.

So, in a way, Lori I really agree that old decrepit bodies are unattractive and scary and I don't want to look like that, but I also very much want to say that if you work out and eat well and take care of your skin, you could be inspiring people yourself in 40 years. Remember, there will always be people YOUNGER than you too!

}( }(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.