Which nut butter is everyone enjoying?

mini-natty

Cathlete
I'm always on the lookout for some tasty recommendations :p

Right now I'm loving Mara Natha (love this brand!) Raw Natural Almond Butter. It has a different look/flavor than traditional almond butter. I'm also loving All Natural Peanut Butter & Co Cinnamon Raisin Swirl PB (yes, I still love and eat PB, and no one is gonna stop me!).

How about all of you?

Natasha

I keep PB on hand for medicinal emergencies. :p

My go-to PB is Teddie all natural smooth (because the step-sons like smooth - I'm a chunky girl myself, LOL).

However, for my personal use, and they know better than to go near it - Whole Foods dark chocolate peanut butter.

When that runs out I have some Trader Joe's chocolate almond butter hidden away. :D

When I'm ravenous and it's too far from a meal, I'll take a healthy size scoop and just eat it off the spoon.

I am enjoying Trader Joe's Sun flower seed butter. It's different.

I read this the other day... fyi --

Organic
Nutritionally, organic is comparable to conventional peanut butter with the exception of sodium if there's no salt added, but there are other factors to consider. Peanuts are prone to a fungus that produces a carcinogen called aflatoxin, which continues to multiply even in the jar. The fungicide-free peanuts in organic peanut butter may have higher levels of aflatoxin than conventional, especially if the jar’s been on the shelf for a while, but organic farmers claim that their farming methods naturally reduce the amount of fungus to begin with. In other words: The jury’s still out. If you do buy organic, make sure you’re buying from a store with a high turnover and refrigerate it immediately — cold retards aflatoxin’s growth. A recent study found the highest levels of aflatoxin in freshly ground peanut butter from health food stores, so buy jarred to be safe.

Nut Butter

Natasha ~ MaraNatha Raw Almond Butter is SOOOOOO GOOOD!! It's expensive, but once you taste it, you understand why it costs more. I buy another raw brand too... Woodstock Farms. It's less expensive and very delicious.

Jann ~ I have SunButter brand and like it very much. I'll have to try TJ's brand one of these days. I don't get over there often, but I will look for their sunflower seed butter the next time I go.

Has anyone tried Artisana Coconut Butter?! :eek: Oh my goodness... THAT is my addiction. I have no problem eating it plain, but I also use it in many recipes. Try it on a baked sweet potato or yam! Mmmmmmmm. Artisana has other nut butters, but I've only been using their Coconut Butter so far. It's pricey, but oh my........ SOOOO GOOOOD!!! :)

OMG, I am such a nut butter addict! I'll eat any of it that's not nailed down. We just tried PB & Co Peanut Butter with Honey - my DD loves it.

My absolute favorite was my homemade version of Nuttzo PF. I had to keep it out of the house, because I just couldn't stop eating it. I'll probably make up more once the good apples get ripe this fall. It has Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Hazelnuts, Cashews, Flaxseed and Chia Seed. Yeah, it's healthy, but not 1/2 cup at a time! :eek:

I assume Trader Joe's Cookie Butter doesn't count! That stuff is pure evil goodness. I usually stick to almond butter.

my favourites:
new world organic brand, especially the raw tahini
omega nutrition raw pumpkin seed butter
and nuts to you nut butter company (out of ontario I think) roasted sunflower seed butter!
I make my own too but it is a little time consuming.
kids have nut allergies so I am drooling at all these types of peanut butter I have never even seen. After I read the china study I cut us off anyway though.:)

OMG, I am such a nut butter addict! I'll eat any of it that's not nailed down. We just tried PB & Co Peanut Butter with Honey - my DD loves it.

My absolute favorite was my homemade version of Nuttzo PF. I had to keep it out of the house, because I just couldn't stop eating it. I'll probably make up more once the good apples get ripe this fall. It has Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Hazelnuts, Cashews, Flaxseed and Chia Seed. Yeah, it's healthy, but not 1/2 cup at a time! :eek:

Oh yes! PB & Co PB w/honey is to die for :p.

Your homemade version is making me salivate :p. Please share the recipe :D

Natasha

I am hooked on almond butter. I buy it from the bulk section of Sprouts which is like a cheap Whole Foods store. Yummy!

When I was eating sugar I liked to roast pecans, grind them in my food processor, than add melted chocolate(70% dark chocolate chips from whole foods and add a tsp of coconut oil added while it is melting)...Yum. Got the "recipe' from Angela over on OhSheGlows - love her recipes!

Now I like most any nuts (walnuts, almonds, macadamia) that I roast first and then grind in my food processor...soooo tasty!

I am another one who is a fan of coconut butter (and cocoa bliss...also from Artisana)

I read this the other day... fyi --

Thanks for this Jann! I didn't know this. I either grind my own nuts or buy almond butter that I grind in the store - and I USED to leave it out on the counter. I'm going to be putting it into the fridge from now on!

whoops looks like it didn't get the quote you included in your post. Oh well.

-

Just bought some for my dog since peanut butter is a known allergen and he has allergies. I tried it and I love it!
He wasn't sure at first, but then he decided it's good.:D

Wow, I feel like a Philistine, but I'm still addicted to my Jif chunky PB. I have tried several times to make the switch to natural pbs, but I just cannot do it! I don't like the fact that they have to be kept in the fridge. Cold pb just is not palatable to me.

I have been thinking about kicking the Jif again, since my diet is 98% clean at this point...maybe I'll try some other yummy butters and that might help. Perhaps I need to just start from scratch with a new butter that I don't have a blueprint for, then I'll have an open mind. I love almonds, so I might start there. I did not know there was coconut butter, but I'll have to look for that. I'm only familiar with coconut oil (unless I misunderstood this post).

Eva

Artisana also sells small trial/snack packets for $1.99. Yesterday I bought the cocoanut butter and the raw cacao butter at my local health food store.

Thanks, Phyllis and Carol. I will start looking for the coconut butter at my local Whole Foods. That seems like where I would be most likely to find it.

Eva

Just bought some for my dog since peanut butter is a known allergen and he has allergies. I tried it and I love it!
He wasn't sure at first, but then he decided it's good.:D

:p I agree with your dog - wasn't sure at first either. It is good.

Recipe

Here's my recipe for Homemade NuttZo PF (Peanut-Free):
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup raw brazil nuts
1/2 cup raw hazelnuts
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup chia seed

I roast the nuts in the oven for a few minutes, let cool completely, then add to the Vitamix. (I've done it in the food processor, too, but it took longer and cleanup was harder.) Blend it according to your manufacturer's directions (I Googled a ton of recipes to get an idea of processing time,) then store it in the refrigerator. This batch makes about 2 1/2 cups of nut butter. I have named the recipe Crack Butter, for its crack-like addictive properties! :) :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.