When will I peak

eminenz2

Cathlete
Hello, Cathe and Everyone -

I am posting here hopefully to get Cathe's insight, but am inviting anyone else to chime in -

First, I have to say that I think because of doing your workouts Cathe, I am healthier at 37 than I was at 27. Maybe not thinner, but definitely healthier!

This is my question -

Sometimes I feel as if I am racing against the clock to undo and/or prevent 'damage' from the things I have or haven't done in the past in the way of health. For example, I may not have exercised enough or eaten the best foods, etc.

I am wondering when a women "peaks" at her ability to advance in all aspects of fitness - aerobic, strength, flexibility, etc. Will I still be able to lift at 47 what I can lift now? Will I be able to lift more? Jump as high? Keep my workouts as intense? When will my body be unable to repair itself and maintain the fitness gains it has made?

Since I think many of your fans and I are about the same age as you, I am hoping to keep working out with you (if you continue to make videos) when you are in your 40s and 50s! I guess basically my question is what is in store for us as we age and try and maintain our fitness? Is there only so much we can do?

I am sure a lot of this depends on individual/genetic differences, but is there a general answer?

Thanks!

Susan L.G.

Hi, Susan! I sincerely believe that you will be able to lift as much or more 10 years from now as you are doing today; you can also perform cardio at or higher than your current intensity level, presuming you are CONSISTENT with your exercise schedule and safe in terms of not overstressing the joints, eating properly and getting enough rest, and maintaining a good cross-training principle.

I'm pushing 43 and pushing it pretty hard, and I'm far stronger than I was even a year ago. My minimum weight load for upper body lifting is 21.25-lb dumbbells, and I go up from there (back work, leg work) all the way up to 72 pounds. I know I could go higher than that, but I don't like working out at the gym. And I'm a card-carrying Recovering Couch Potato - totally unathletic and uncoordinated as a teen and Twenty-Something. And if I know one thing it's this: my strongest days are still ahead of me.

When I was in Phoenix a few years ago, I met a 5K-10K competitive runner who was 80 years old. She started running in her 60's. Also, there are powerlifting competitions nationwide for mature lifters, including women lifters; there are competitors in their 60's, 70's and even 80's.

What's in store for you as you hopturn and lift through your 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and beyond is anyone's guess. I think the greatest enemy of human health is not time but mind, that part of the mind that says "I can't." Well, you can, you should and you will.

A-Jock

Hi Susan! I'm 50 years old & let me reassure you that you will not only be able to jump just as high as Cathe in aerobics but you will also be able to lift more & heavier than you did 10 years ago. You might have to take more time to recover however as we get older it does become harder on your joints but I for one don't see any signs of myself slowing down any time soon & I know Annette doesn't slow down!!! She's only a few years younger than me but I can't do as much as she does but I'm getting close!!}( Look out Annette!! Kathy:D

Thank you Susan for asking this question. I've been thinking about this recently since I sprained my foot and had xrays taken. My doctor informed me that I have some arthritis in my foot which he said is not unusual for someone my age (43) who engages in many high impact activities (Cathe, running, karate..). So I've been wondering if I will need to cut back on high impact to prevent any further damage to my feet. It's frustrating because I never intended to "peak" and had always planned to keep on improving my fitness level. Hopefully Cathe can give us her insight on exercising and aging.

A-Jock...You are truly an inspiration! 21.25 pounds for every upper body muscle...WOW. Thanks for your post because it gives me hope that maybe I can still be running when I'm 80 :)

JJ

WOW! you guys are truly an inspiration! I love it when I read posts like these. I've exercised (on and off, off usually in summers) all my adult life and I can say that I'm probably the healthiest now at 45 than I've ever been. The difference is that I exercise *smarter* than I did 20 years ago. I also eat better. I listen to my body better now too. I don't like to think of it in terms of peaking, because that means there is a downhill on the otherside.

And yes AJ, 20 to 25 pounds for upper body! You are an animal! :7 LOL You're an inspiration. I don't know if I'll ever get that heavy for upper body, but knowing you do gives me hope. You all give me hope.

A-Jock?

You Rock!!!!

~kandy~
sport-smiley-003.gif

Thanks for all your kind words, people! And never, never, NEVER stop kicking serious butt!

And Ducky, a participant in a recent aqua class of mine, a participant of "the male persuasion" yet, called me a "beast" because of how tough that particular class was.

Ah, praise.

A-Jock

Susan...my contribution may not answer your question's but I'll chime in anyway!

I'm in my early 40's and I feel, still in peak physical condition. I grew up on a dairy farm always doing heavy lifting, working long hours of very physically demanding work. I was very athletic in school and college doing sports and gymnastics and my coaches always teased that for my small size I could lift/press weights as heavy as many of the boys...well, I spent my life tossing around 70# bales of hay every day...most girls don't/can't do that! Then enter the child rearing years where many women seem to slow down exercise wise, and let themselves go. I never did that. I exercised regularly throughout all four of my pgs. And now here I am today...40 something, still working out, still tossing around bales of hay (we have 3 horses) and of all my friends who are my age, none of them workout. Last summer when my daughters ball team had a parents vs kids game at the end of the season...I was the only one out there playing who was over the age of 35. That was sad I thought because there were plenty of mother's sitting in the bleachers who are many years younger than me but they are too out of shape to attempt playing softball with their kids! Me, I do everything with my kids from teaching them tumbling, playing volleyball, basketball, anything...and I never stop to ask myself IF I can still do it...I've just always done it! My son is doing hurdles this year in track and after his first track meet I was appalled that they were not getting better coaching on their form...none of the boys were doing the hurdles correctly and as a result there were many bad falls during the meet. So, the next day I worked with my son to SHOW him proper form and how to correctly run the hurdles. It never occured to me that I may not be able to jump over them anymore even though it's been years since I've done track events...I just did it and that was that. For me being in good physical condition has been a lifestyle since I was old enough to help feed bottle calves and I had to learn to be strong so they didn't knock me around in the pen! And being fit will always be a top priority in my life.

Okay, I do actually have a point to make here! As long as we continue to put our physical health first, eat right, exercise regularly, I see no reason why we should suddenly fall apart when we hit a certain age. Look at retirees...those who retire YET stay active live longer, fuller lives then those who retire and sit all day. Like the saying goes..."Use it or lose it" is so appropriate to our physical well being. Take Jack LaLane as an example! ( oops, some of you may not even know who he is!) And there have been numerous studies in recent years comparing the injury rates of 60+ woman who stay fit to those who don't. And obviously, those who aren't exercising and still doing weight training suffer more broken bones from falls than the groups who are working out. As women we NEED to keep weight training in the golden years to stave off bone loss. Now, will I be able to lift a 50# bar bell over my head when I'm 75?? Who knows...but if I can't lift that 50 you can darn well bet I'll be lifting SOMETHING even if it's just 5#!!

I remember a article I read a few years ago about a woman who started riding a bicycle in her 60's. Up until then she had done very little physical exercise throughout her life. But she liked riding the bike so much that she started entering races and doing weight training as well. Well, let me tell you, she was I believe 64 or 65 and she had the legs of a 20 year old girl! I was very impressed at her physical condition and I hope that is me when I am that age too!

So...have I reached my peak yet? I certainly hope not and I see no reason why at age 42 I can help my son with the hurdles...and when my 4 year old is 13 in another 9 years, I will be able to help her with running the hurdles too! I feel no differently at 42 then I did at 22. So staying fit DOES keep you young! Just too bad it can't keep your hair from turing gray. x(

Hey Susan - I keep wondering when I'll peak too! I'll be 50 next year and I've been working out consistantly with Cathe since Power Max (I started out with the Firms). I'm happy to report that not only am I lifting heavier than ever, but I still do all my stepping on a 10" step (not recommended, but it works for me - keeps the intensity up!), work out 6 days a week (I started doing Freestyle several weeks ago and now do leg work with every work out, do upper body work three times a week and am using the IMax tapes to incorporate HIIT twice a week and stick in regular kickboxing and step whenever there is time) My specialty on days when I really need to go all out is all 20 intervals (only) on both IMax tapes as an intensity blast...
So I too keep wondering when I'll have to slow down! Maybe it's my genetics or my years of dance training (I'm retired) or my healthy vegetarian diet, but I've had no injuries or joint problems so far ... knock on wood!
I just wish there was a way to keep my face as young as my body :)

Robin

Yes, my face and (real) haircolor are an embarassment to my body at this point. I am 47 this summer and keep expecting to get hit by the old age truck at some point. My knees are a bit tender, but I broke both legs at age 19 and they haven't been "right" since then, so it could be that. I'm stronger than ever. I wear the same clothing sizes as at my thinnest teenager size. My cardio capacity is the best it's ever been. I have a six pack, great arms, etc, etc. No back pain. Great energy all the time. No health problems, no prescriptions, no allergies, etc.

Two weeks ago I went to a random gym for a spin class. The instructor was a 75 yr old woman with legs from hell. She was a monster-beast Annette would have been proud of. I couldn't believe it. So, maybe there is no peaking. It's all just a process. I am not trying to impress myself any further, I'm just curious how much better I can get in the fitness arena, as well as how much longer I can go on. I learned to rollerblade last year. I want to play hockey next winter.

Hang in there all of you, and keep at it.

Now, if there was only something I could do about my face...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.