What were your first workouts ever???

20 minute workout for me, too! Hilarious to think about that now. Also, Jane Fonda on 33 r.p.m. :p Then Charlene Prickett's 1/2 hour cable show. You can actually still get those on DVD!

Peaceful: I just remembered that I had Jane's workout on a record too when I was in high school....oh brother! :rolleyes: I can still see her with her leg or legs in the air (I think and leg warmers on!)

Another original Firm here! And Tamilee Webb in Buns of Steel. I'm going to totally date myself but in the 70s there was a show on PBS called Hatha Yoga. A blonde woman in a yellow leotard. (I was still a kid - but I was committed to this show). I have all of the Firm up to the ones done in the library. Then TaeBo. Then I found Cathe in 2004!

I was just a kid when I watched Richard Simmond's show on TV -- and the 20 minute workout -- I had that routine memorized because it was the same workout each time.

I followed Charlene Prickett's "It Figures" show religiously throughout 8th grade.

My first fitness video was also Cher Fitness with Keli Roberts -- and the cheesy video that came with my first step (not a real club step or a Reebok step, something else I can't remember).

I found Cathe in 1996 -- about 4 years later. Oh, how far we have come!

Darn. I knew I shouldn't have sold my "Buns of Steel" VHS tape at my garage sale 6 years ago. THAT was my first workout video, come to think of it. Not Cathe as I previously posted .... momnesia strikes again. :eek:

I have a pair of leg warmers stashed somewhere. For emergency purposes, or so I tell myself. :eek:

Why don't you all come on over to my crib. We'll all have ourselves a late 80's or early 90's workout party!!! Wheeeeeee!!!!

My first at home television workout was "The 20 Minute Workout", my first VHS were Jane Fonda and Cher with Keli Roberts.

Charlene Prickett and Tamilee Webb didn't come around till later for me with The Firm.

Jane Fonda's workout record. We needed to make sure we didn't jump too hard because the record would skip. I think it was 1983ish.

Yep, it was a 2 record set. We were in college, so those new fangled VCRs were way out of our budget. :)

Tae-Bo! The original two tape set that had the instructional, basic, and advanced workouts on it. That was followed by Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds, which was followed by the first Firm Body Sculpting System with the fanny lifter... all the way up to Cathe, only a little over a year ago.

I remember the Jane Fonda record, we also another workout on a record but it was all gospel music I think. Those were my mom's workouts.
I remember doing the 20 min workout on tv when I was in high school.
I can't remember what the first workouts I bought were, but I had lots of Gin Miller, Kathy Smith and Jane Fonda. I also had the Abs of Steel workouts.
I actually still have all my VHS workouts.

Last edited:
In 1992 or so, I bought the club step, and it came with a video called The Step Challenge featuring gymnast Nadia Comaneci, with step aerobics segments led by Tim Culwell, Gay Gasper, and others. I also bought Kathy Smith's Step Workout at the same time. I liked all of these programs and even purchased a couple of others by Tim and Gay. In 2008 I stumbled upon Cathe's videos (Power Max, Step Max, and IMAX2) at my local library. These programs were much more challenging than the older ones that I had been doing, and eventually I made the transition to Cathe workouts.

I remember the Jane Fonda record, we also another workout on a record but it was all gospel music I think. Those were my mom's workouts.
I remember doing the 20 min workout on tv when I was in high school.
I can't remember what the first workouts I bought were, but I had lots of Gin Miller, Kathy Smith and Jane Fonda. I also had the Abs of Steel workouts.
I actually still have all my VHS workouts.

I still have my VHS workouts, too! Granted I converted them over to DVD before they started remastering them (I'm talking about the first FIRMs). My very first workouts were the 20 min workouts on TV and that woman that is still on PBS - can't remember her name, but she is still going. And Jane Fonda with the leggings on.. HA, I feel nostalgic, time to go do Firm Volume 1.

It may have been Kathy Smith, I remember her working out with Bruce Springsteen's ex wife Julianna ?? then two other stars. It would've been a great workout to layer to pre-mixes because all together 90 minutes. Did anyone else own this one??
Found Step Reebok but the vhs is too dry. To me, it was a tough workout but now I think it is way too easy.

Some workouts on vinyl records: Jane Fonda, Joanie Greigans (sp) and Bess Motta, IIRC.

My first video workouts were Cher's two workouts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.