What is Meant By "It Didn't Used to Be This Way..."

carres1973

Cathlete
I am truly curious. I have read a lot of threads recently where one or more people have posted a comment that the board has "changed" and that it wasn't always this way. I am one of those people who wants everyone to get along so I am really curious. Are there trouble makers that have come onto the board? I know there are different political leanings and schools of thought but, with few exceptions, issues that are really hot button are discussed in an adult fashion. Are the topics different? What topics used to be discussed? Did hot button topics not get posted/discussed? I just find it sad to think many of the intelligent women (and men) that used to post have left or only lurk because of the atmosphere. Can't we talk it out and fix it?

Carrie

I don't know if I agree with the *it didn't used to be this way*. I've been on the board for 10 years and believe me it got bad during the 2000 election. I didn't come back for years. Unfortunately I have a terrible sense of timing ~ LOL! and I restarted in July of 2008....it got bad again duing election time. I left again from September until spring of this year.
I am trying to be less sensitive (not in a careless of others' feelings, just not taking everything to a negative extreme) I also avoid those threads which clearly could become inflammatory (ie. political) and jump off others if it seems to be getting tense.
Anyway, that has just been my personal experience over the past 10 years. I don't presume to speak for anyone else, just sharing my experiences.

Becky

I am truly curious. I have read a lot of threads recently where one or more people have posted a comment that the board has "changed" and that it wasn't always this way. I am one of those people who wants everyone to get along so I am really curious. Are there trouble makers that have come onto the board? I know there are different political leanings and schools of thought but, with few exceptions, issues that are really hot button are discussed in an adult fashion. Are the topics different? What topics used to be discussed? Did hot button topics not get posted/discussed? I just find it sad to think many of the intelligent women (and men) that used to post have left or only lurk because of the atmosphere. Can't we talk it out and fix it?

Carrie

I was wondering the same thing.

As one who has been here more than 10 years, in my opinion it always HAS been "that way" on this forum as well as others I visit. Any time there is a topic that has the potential for vastly different viewpoints, trouble invariable begins. Anonymity is a big part of it. It is difficult enough to discuss certain "hot button" issues face to face without it turning into a shouting match but on an anonymous forum? Fuggedaboutit, it's gonna happen.

So my answer is no, there aren't any more trouble makers than there ever have been and the topics aren't any more controversial.

Personally I avoid the obvious political or religious threads. I honestly don't see the point of them since no one's mind is ever changed and only rarely is any real understanding and respect for the other opinion the result of the discussion turned argument. This is just my opinion, of course, and if others enjoy and are stimulated by the threads, go for it!

I think it more has to do with the forum being more/less part of our lives during the particular "season" we're in.

I mostly post over at pregnancy forums,...and miss my dear friends who no longer post,... *sigh* but I've always assumed it's b/c they're not in the baby-making business anymore. :p

I've seen a couple steamy topics. One of mine was even deleted from Cathe support staff. LOL I've been attacked a few times, but haven't been completely turned off.

When it all comes down to it, this forum is for support. If a member isn't getting it,...they'll go elsewhere....

I have been on this board for 10 years, I used to post a lot but it is getting less and less. And yes, I am one of the people who thinks this forum has changed and not for the better.

I don't think it is so much the subject of the threads, contentious or not, it is how some individuals take this to a level of personal attacks that I think should be unacceptable. There used to be contentious threads in the past and emotions were flying high but after that everyone got along and just moved on to other subjects. No pouting, no sulking.

Now there are some posters who stalk every single thread of certain people and try to stir up another controversy or exchange, instead of just realizing that we all have a lot more in common than what divides us and that different opinions are good because if everyone had the same opinion this board would get pretty boring and none of us would learn anything.

I don't think an opinion or view is what defines a person. I have a totally different political view than one of my closests friends here on this board, nevertheless we have a lot in common and similar values. I have learned a lot from her but it is because we both respect that we can be similar and different at the same time.

Aside from that I have seen threads commenting on Cathe's personal life which I am not comfortable with. I think any thread about her business and business decision is fine but her personal life should be off limits.

I just think there is a passive aggressiveness to the boards these days that makes it uncomfortable to come here and even say anything.

As one who has been here more than 10 years, in my opinion it always HAS been "that way" on this forum as well as others I visit. Any time there is a topic that has the potential for vastly different viewpoints, trouble invariable begins. Anonymity is a big part of it. It is difficult enough to discuss certain "hot button" issues face to face without it turning into a shouting match but on an anonymous forum? Fuggedaboutit, it's gonna happen.

So my answer is no, there aren't any more trouble makers than there ever have been and the topics aren't any more controversial.

Personally I avoid the obvious political or religious threads. I honestly don't see the point of them since no one's mind is ever changed and only rarely is any real understanding and respect for the other opinion the result of the discussion turned argument. This is just my opinion, of course, and if others enjoy and are stimulated by the threads, go for it!

ITA. I lurked for a long time and have recently started posting more often. I don't think there is forum on the net where political and religious threads do not get heated up. I also try to avoid them although I sometimes get sucked it. The only other online forum I read is one for people who sell on Amazon. If you want to hang out with a bunch of name calling, negative, whining and complaining nut jobs that's the place to go. I have been selling on Amazon for almost 10 years now and have NEVER posted over there. A simple question about shipping to an APO (military) address will turn into a shouting match about Iraq within three postings! I'm always telling DH about how civilized the Cathe boards are.
Having said that I find the posts about how these boards have changed a little annoying. If someone posts something that bothers me I would either address it with that person directly (and hopefully tactfully) or let it go. I would not make some generic comment lumping everyone on the board together.

I have been on this board for 10 years, I used to post a lot but it is getting less and less. And yes, I am one of the people who thinks this forum has changed and not for the better.

I don't think it is so much the subject of the threads, contentious or not, it is how some individuals take this to a level of personal attacks that I think should be unacceptable. There used to be contentious threads in the past and emotions were flying high but after that everyone got along and just moved on to other subjects. No pouting, no sulking.

Now there are some posters who stalk every single thread of certain people and try to stir up another controversy or exchange, instead of just realizing that we all have a lot more in common than what divides us and that different opinions are good because if everyone had the same opinion this board would get pretty boring and none of us would learn anything.

I don't think an opinion or view is what defines a person. I have a totally different political view than one of my closests friends here on this board, nevertheless we have a lot in common and similar values. I have learned a lot from her but it is because we both respect that we can be similar and different at the same time.

Aside from that I have seen threads commenting on Cathe's personal life which I am not comfortable with. I think any thread about her business and business decision is fine but her personal life should be off limits.

I just think there is a passive aggressiveness to the boards these days that makes it uncomfortable to come here and even say anything.

I stopped posting because Carola normally says exactly what I wish I had the eloquence to say ;)- Just ditto me on her entire post above!

I will also add that for me the forum is a place I come to stay excited about fitness and to get new ideas and help my creative fitness juices flow... In recent months the majority of the posts are not fitness related (at least imo) so its not really anything I take heightened interest in reading/posting. I'm not saying its "bad" or "wrong" I'm just saying that when I started being a part of the forums it seemed to be alot more fitness / health / nutrition focused threads than now. I just plain got out of the habit of coming here on a daily basis.

I

Cathe has been on these boards and talked about her family, her life growing up, holidays with her family, her DH's profession, how they met, she used to and may still have a picture of her DH holding thier newborn baby, has had pictures of her being pregnant and the list goes on.

If someone asks Cathe a personal question and she doesn't want to answer can't she just say "I don't feel comfortable dicussing this topic"?
This goes for anyone else.

Having said that I find the posts about how these boards have changed a little annoying. If someone posts something that bothers me I would either address it with that person directly (and hopefully tactfully) or let it go. I would not make some generic comment lumping everyone on the board together.

I agree with that general statement but the issue is that every time you do this now you get jumped on and are being told that with this you make newbies feel uncomfortable, unwelcome and therefore they won't post.

These days I feel like we have to walk around on eggshells.

Thanks, Traci :D I miss seing you around! The board is not the same without you.

Last edited:
Cathe has been on these boards and talked about her family, her life growing up, holidays with her family, her DH's profession, how they met, she used to and may still have a picture of her DH holding thier newborn baby, has had pictures of her being pregnant and the list goes on.

If someone asks Cathe a personal question and she doesn't want to answer can't she just say "I don't feel comfortable dicussing this topic"?
This goes for anyone else.

I think there is a difference if she tells things on her own but there recently have been several threads with speculations on very private issues and I think it should be off limits!

Thank you to everyone who responded. I have noticed a few "post-stalkers." I also think some of the environment changed with the star rating that appeared with the new forums. I just want everyone to get along!

Carrie

for me the forum is a place I come to stay excited about fitness and to get new ideas and help my creative fitness juices flow... In recent months the majority of the posts are not fitness related (at least imo) so its not really anything I take heightened interest in reading/posting. I'm not saying its "bad" or "wrong" I'm just saying that when I started being a part of the forums it seemed to be alot more fitness / health / nutrition focused threads than now. I just plain got out of the habit of coming here on a daily basis.

I agree with Traci!!

I would say, if nothing else, that there has been a lot more posting in general the last few weeks than usual. Weekends used to be dead on the forums, but there is a lot of activity nowadays. I miss a few posters that I never see anymore- and I have to admit that I worry about them- ElleP, Suzasoul, Bubachick, HDAWG, Twinkletoes...

What I don't get is why anybody would start a thread on the subject of politics or religion. They *always* end up being heated and a bit out of control. I often wonder if the reason is just to get things riled up. I mean, if you've been around here long enough, you pretty much know where those that post regularly stand when it comes to such topics. Those threads rarely remain civil and, again, if you've been around long enough, you pretty much know that too. So, I just don't get it.....

It used to be fun to come here. I've made some lifetime friends on this forum. I keep in touch with them elsewhere, but I miss the ease of checking in with them on and off all day here. I'm not sure when it stopped being so much fun. Maybe when folks started asking all kinds of personal medical questions? This is a fitness forum, not WebMD. Maybe when folks started thinking their opinions were the only ones that mattered? There are alot of threads that are nothing but opinion. No one seems to get to "know" anyone anymore. There's been a whole lot take and not much give. I think it all started when the old smilies were lost.:(
And does anyone use the preview button? If you reread your post and it sounds mean, offensive, or downright stupid, DON"T POST IT!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.