What does everyone do for work?

dss62467

Cathlete
Last night I was reading a post from Sandra (aka Fiddlefit). It was in response to a poster who was asking advice about weight loss and calories burned. Sandra's post was very well written and interesting, and then I saw within it that she is an author.

That made me curious as to what everyone else does. I titled this post "What does everyone do for work?" instead of "career" because stay-at-home moms definitely DO do "work" and didn't want anyone to think I was disrespecting their choice. I think it's a great choice, if it's the right one for you.

I am an HRIS Manager (Human Resources Information Systems) for a non-profit agency which provides services to developmentally disabled adults and children and their families, and affordable housing to low-income elderly. I spend most of my day doing computer work, building queries to write reports on our employment, maintaining our HR/Payroll system and other stuff that's kind of boring. But sometimes someone asks me for a report that really challenges me and makes me glad I still can do algebra and logic! I also do HR investigations when our employees start acting badly. I've got one starting tomorrow that involves racial harrassment.

Through our agency, I've become a Kids On The Block puppeteer in training. This is a pretty cool program where we take these really nifty puppets to schools and teach children about people with various disabilities. I'm learning to be a 16 year old girl with Down Syndrome. I got started on this as a way to get out of my comfort zone. Being a relatively shy person who doesn't like being the center of attention, I thought this would be a way for me to break out of my box and put myself out for a little risky embarrassment. My "Down Syndrome talk" isn't very good yet. I'm not very good at mimicry. Still haven't done any performances yet. I've also got to learn how to have cerebral palsy! At least I work with a girl who has it and can listen to her to try to get it down. The only person with Down Syndrome I actually come in contact with is the girl at McDonald's who keeps the PlayPlace room so incredibly clean. Maybe I should get myself out into the sites more often to hang out with our wonderful "consumers". Perhaps that will be my New Year's resolution.

So what about it? I'd like to know something about you!

Hi Donna,
Your job seems interesting and so incredibly rewarding.

I am a stay-at-home mom and enjoy every last minute of it.

I am a registered nurse and will probably go back to work part time when my children are both in school. Maybe.:)

Lori

I'm an RN and up until May of this year worked critical care in a traditional hospital environment for 18 years. Now I'm an Injury Claim Trainer for an insurance company - very Corporate America, and quite a change of lifestyle for me! I used to work mostly 12 hour night shifts, always weekends, most holidays, and anything else I needed to fill in the gaps or help out the units. Now, I train claim reps and management on medically related issues, and I review medical records in an injury claim file for causation and mechanism of injury, to help the reps evaluate the claim. I travel a lot since I have several offices to cover, so I have a company car and all the other perks that go along with a job like that. Very different from what I have been used to, and I absolutely LOVE it!! I feel truly respected for the first time in my nursing career, and I get to teach which I love to do. I also get to do tons of research on current medical issues, which I find really fun! LOL! When we document in a claim file we have to back it up with current research. It's a fun, exciting job that has not given me one minute of boredom in six months!!

Carol
:)

I am a Ph.D in molecular virology. A molecular virologist studies the ways in which viruses replicate and express genes in their host cells. Following my post- doctoral research I have worked in big pharma and biotech. Several years ago I co-founded with a colleague, a biotech located on the East Coast. We received our Series B financing earlier this year and are now off to the races. Our company uses a newly recognized mechanism for inhibiting gene expression, RNA interference. RNA interference results in the destruction of a targeted mRNA thereby preventing production of the gene product it encodes.This mechanism is inate to all cells and can be specifcally harnessed to inhibit undesired genes, such as those involved in viral infections and cancer. If you know the DNA sequence of a gene, you can inhibit it from functioning. We are currently working on a therapeutic for those chronically infected with Hepatitis B and are also developing a therapeutic for those infected with Hepatitis C. We are also in the beginning stages of developing a program for HIV. We hope eventually to start work in the area of cancer. I have been involved not only in the science and management of the company, but I have had to learn alot about intellectual property (IP) and developing an IP estate. One of our base patents that we licensed was one that I was an inventor on based on a discovery made when I was at the big pharma. This pharmaceutical company co-exclusively licensed the patent to us and we were able to set up shop.
I love my job and am extremely motivated. From a personal perspective I am even more motivated as I lost my beloved Dad last month due to complications of Hepatitis C. He was operated on about 35 years ago for a massive thoracic and abdominal aneuryism. The operation saved his life but he was infected with HCV from the blood transfusions he receieved. He subsequently developed liver cancer and liver cirrohsis.
He was a fighter and I will continue the fight for him.

Ditto to what Lori wrote:D

Except I have 4 kids:) And Lori I liked the MAYBE part about going back to work}( That is exactly how I feel!!

Cathy-wow, a scientist in our midst. I am so impressed. Where would we be without people like you? I am so thankful for medical science. We have come a long way baby.

Lori

Good topic. Interesting jobs!!

I am a Nurse Practitioner. Just some background info for anyone who doesn't know what a nurse practitioner(NP) is: NPs are nurses who are (usually) Master's prepared & nationally certified RNs with extra training with emphasis on a certain area-family, pediatrics, women's health and other areas. I am a Family Nurse Practitioner. Basically I see pts in the office very much like a physician, order tests, diagnose and treat. I occasionally consult with the physician that I work with. It's a very rewarding job. I love being a nurse because there is so much you can do!!

Catherine

I am a Premier Designs Jeweler. We do home shows and give away a ton of free high fashion jewelry to our hostesses. I absolutely love my job and enjoy it tremendously. I worked in a factory for 18 years, and this is a slice of heaven for me.
Lori

a

If you don't get many answers to this post, you might want to do a search because this same subject came up here not too long ago.

I am a French professor at a small liberal-arts university.

Well, I get paid for being a medical laboratory technologist. I love my job! But the hardest work I do is being mom to my 3 kids. (ages 15,13,11)Actually going to work is sometimes more like a vacation. The mental challenges from the kids never ends!!

Career: coffee drinker. Hobby: Trusts and estates attorney.

I don't know if I've ever posted anything here without editing. That's what we attorneys do: edit documents all day long! :)

I second that on "WOW!" for Lori. I wonder if you're married or have children? The reason I ask is that my best friend from childhood is pursuing her PhD in environmental biochemistry. She's currently up in Alberta Canada. I'm not exactly what sort of research she's doing now because she is so busy we don't keep in touch so much. But she is turning 35 tomorrow (Hmmmm...I should send her an e-card) and has no social life. She has pretty much resigned herself to not getting married or becoming a mother. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I don't believe a woman has to be a wife and/or mother to be fulfilled. I am just curious as to whether it's possible.

Of course, my Ob-Gyn is a mother of 6!

I am a currently unemployed contract technical writer. When I am not working, I do a lot of nonprofit administrative work for local environmental, smartgrowth and wildlife nonprofits.

Exercise physiologist and mother! (also have a degree in pharmacy and practice on a limited basis)

LizN

Hi, interesting thread, I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 boys whom I homeschool. They are 12,10 and almost 8, I do however have a BA in Biology Research that I used only briefly before becoming a mom. I love my job!:)

Donna, I was surprised to see I inspired your post - I don't think of myself as an author! I'm actually a PhD Candidate, finishing up my degree in Sociology (Work and Industry) at.............the University of Alberta! I don't know anyone in environmental biology, but it is amusing to think that I'm more likely to see your best friend than you are! Oh yeah - and my research area is human resource management. Oooh aaahh. A little freeeeaky!

A couple of years ago I co-authored a book with a professor in the business faculty, but that's really part of being in the academic business. My primary career identity is "academic" (or "professional student").

People have a wide range of occupations. Very interesting. I feel like I have a better sense of who everyone is now. I also really enjoy reading the descriptions from people who love their work. I'm in thesis-writing limbo (aka "hell"), and look forward to some day having an occupation that provides that much enjoyment and reward.

I also want to become a foster parent, once we move into a home that would accommodate extra kid(s).

Cheers,
Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.