What do you say to people when...

>I'm especially tired of FAT being the new CURVY, and hearing
>overweight women constantly refer to themselves as CURVY, or
>that "real women have curves," and implying that all thin
>women are NOT curvy.
>
>"Curvaciousness" has absolutely NOTHING to do with what size
>dress a woman wears. Rather, it means a woman has an hourglass
>shaped figure with a small waist-to-hip ratio.
>
>Therefore, one can wear a size 2 and still be very curvy, as
>it's a matter of proportion.
>
>I would consider Jai from the Cathe videos to be notably
>"curvy" - with her teeny waist and rounded hips, even though
>she is obviously petite. :)
>

Amen to that!

Alison,

I don't think that is mean. Sometimes you have to give something back to someone so they realize what they are doing is inappropriate. Tell them what your BMI is - and tell them it's healthy, and then tell them to go to www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ to calculate their OWN BMI so they can see what theirs is, and IF IT IS HEALTHY.

I truly do not think its wrong of someone to say "you know, I don't think that's an appropriate comment to make. Would you like it if someone commented on YOUR weight?" I think sometimes the lines get blurred on proper boundaries.

I personally think that BMI is the wrong measure to use, because if you are muscular then your BMI would be higher than the average person who has normal muscularure (sp?) I have always been told to judge how thin or heavy you are by your percent body fat because that is a better indicator of health than BMI.

I am sure that you look very healthy and that everybody else is just jealous.

I had that happen to me once, it was so humiliating what this woman did to me, I went to Costco and ordered a cinnimon pretzel for my hubby, I passed on it because I was eating more clean, well the cashier said to me " You can eat that, it is low on calories, go ahead, don't be afraid to eat it"

The first phrase which came to mind was "Bite Me". I guess the older I get the less patience I have for ill-mannered people. Sorry I cannot be of more help...

UM, YEAH! My SIL is "curvy" and it annoys me that people say how hot she is. And I'm the one working my butt off to be in good shape. I think it's cuz she's got bigger boobs and doesn't mind showing them off. I've never been able to show cleavage, I just feel so uncomfortable!

Oh well, I'll still look better in the summertime when I can wear a two piece, and she's trying to stay covered up around her midsection.

I love all your responses, you are all too funny!

Alison

>I think at this point, I'd hug someone who told me I'm too
>skinny. I mean, big, tearful bear hug. I welcome such
>rudeness.

ROTFLAO

>I'm especially tired of FAT being the new CURVY, and hearing
>overweight women constantly refer to themselves as CURVY, or
>that "real women have curves," and implying that all thin
>women are NOT curvy.
>
>"Curvaciousness" has absolutely NOTHING to do with what size
>dress a woman wears. Rather, it means a woman has an hourglass
>shaped figure with a small waist-to-hip ratio.
>
>Therefore, one can wear a size 2 and still be very curvy, as
>it's a matter of proportion.
>
>I would consider Jai from the Cathe videos to be notably
>"curvy" - with her teeny waist and rounded hips, even though
>she is obviously petite. :)
>

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the above. What about a slender woman is not "real"?? The statement that "real women have curves" bugs me to no end. It is truly reverse discrimination. I am slender, but I have curves too. My proportions are longer, but I still have a good hip/waist/bust ratio.

I have one friend who is constantly calling my build "straight up and down" She'll say something like, "Oh you know, she's built like you... straight up and down". That does not sit well with me at all. She is short and overweight, so does that make her build "pudgy sideways"?? Of course I would never say that to her.... so why is it okay for her to describe me the way she does?

I hate calling people like this "jealous" because I think it oversimplifies what's being said. I think they are more uninformed than jealous. Bottom line, the slender build is more desireous in today's world, therefore it seems more okay to speak of it in detrimental terms. It's all a matter of perspective I guess. I'll take my long, lean curves over short, wide ones any day!

I agree that the first thing to do is to determine if you really are too skinny. (You probably are not).

I would tend to make some snarky remark back, especially after hearing this kind of comment so many times. You've gotten some good ideas from other posters.

Unlike other posters, I don't think that these comments are necessarily being made out of 'jealousy' (why do people automatically think that? A bit egotistical, isn't it?: "X is saying I'm to skinny because s/he's jealous of me"). I think they may make these comments be because people's perceptions of what a healthy, fit weight are have become distorted. With over 60% of Americans overweight, and around 30% actually obese, what people see around them is heavier and heavier people, so the 'norm' (which isn't really 'normal' anymore) is overweight/fat, and when they see someone who is leaner, it sticks out. (Your perceptions are shaped by what surrounds you, and if most of what you see is overweight folks, they start looking alright). Add to that all the actually too-thin celebrities who look anorexic, and people start to jump to the conclusion that you are doing something unhealthy to be like these skinny-minnies.

I love Cathy's response of Ooooh, let me show you my muscles and here's everything I've eaten down to the gram for the last 3 weeks and just hammering them with reality. That made me laugh. People can be so ignorant so sometimes I think it's ok to give it right back. Just pretend you heard something good and answer them like they asked for advice on how to look as great as you do.

Sometimes people make me want to be a hermit. :p

<I don't think that these comments are necessarily being made out of 'jealousy' (why do people automatically think that? A bit egotistical, isn't it?: "X is saying I'm to skinny because s/he's jealous of me").>

Well, it is certainly a good start. It could also be that people are shocked. Doesn't everyone go to Walmart and fill their grocery cart with Christmas Tree shaped brownies, cans of soda, Shrek twinkies, frozen soft pretzel, ice cream, Ramen Noodles, and Hot Pockets? (My friend bought all of this last night for her family) To a surprising number this is the norm and it is therefore normal to carry a bit of extra wait on such a diet. Those eating a different diet (such as a "clean" diet) appear to be starving themselves, they are like teetotalers of the food realm. People Larry the Cable Guy couldn't understand ;-)

"but I keep getting other (overweight) people telling me I'm too skinny, or that I'm a "rack of bones" (my plumper sister-in-law's favorite term for me), or that I need to eat more. "

...was part of the original posting - no, I don't think it's arrogant to think people are jealous and that's where their comments are coming from. I have had many situations in my life arise where people were envious or jealous of a success that I had, and they demonized me for my achievements. For example, my older sister used to tell me that I was "out of balance" in my life or that "my priorities were wrong" (among other comments) because I CHOSE to workout every day (or because I chose to continue working instead of homeschooling my child..or this or that...). She was/is a stay at home mother, and wouldn't make time for a 30 minute workout a day, but because I was working full time and chose to do this for myself, I was "wrong". Truth is, she wanted to be healthy and to look good and feel good about herself, and she was trying to get me to stop since she couldn't or wouldn't do it. I'm sure not every situation is like this, but I could easily see how an overweight person would tell a thinner person this because they want what that person has achieved, but cannot or will not invest the effort into that, and I made this comment myself because of the references the original post contained.

This maybe is a stupid question, but what is ROTFLAO?

Also, my SIL and MIL who both say I'm too skinny have been on and off different "diets" and joined and quit gyms over the past few years. My SIL was my size at one point! So, I guess jealousy, or their own insecurity rather, seemed a closer guess than just uninformed. However, I have definitely gotten the skinny comments from people that were comparing me to the national average without thinking about it.

Alison

What do I say when people tell me I'm to skinny? Let's see; the last time someone said that to me I said, "Can't talk, I'm on my way to Biology class," because I think I was a sophmore in college when it happened!!!}( x(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.