What Do You Do For A Living?

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
Good Morning.

I was wondering what you all do for a living. So many of you are quite knowledgable about health and fitness, that I figured a lot of you must be healthcare professionals of some sort.

I myself am an actuary, but I do work for a fitness-crazed company, where the execs are all iron-men (and iron-women) participants and really encourage the employees to work out. I now work out twice on some days, once in the morning with Cathe and again during lunch at the gym.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Shelbygirl

I'm a personal trainer by trade but working for an I.F.A as the town i moved to is very small and no work is available at present for personal trainers.

Wayne.

Unfortunately, I work "back office" healthcare at a PPO network. It is healthcare, but mostly a desk job. Trying now to become a nurse. I do however work out with three other people on my lunch hour to Cathe tapes and/or P90X. I've created my own home theater/gym at work out of a spare room down there. It is my little secret....:)

I am a stay at home mom who homeschools her 3 boys. I do however have a BA in Biology! Nice question! Thanks for asking!:)

I have a Skin Care Studio. I've been doing skin care for about 29 years now. I'm lucky because I set my own hours around my kids (and my workouts) schedule. I'm as busy as I can get with the hours I put in.
When they'll be off the college I'd like to learn and add personal training to my services.

I am in the process of getting a masters degree to teacher special education at the secondary school level. I hope to finish by next summer. Next year I will be completing my coursework and doing my internships.

Rhonda

I'm an RN and up until two months ago I did 12 hour nights in ICU. I did hospital nursing for 18 years - all of that in critical care - and always worked off shifts. Now, I work for a large insurance company. I review the medicals in injury claims and assist the claim reps with billing issues, and issues of causation, and things of that nature. There are four of us in Ohio for this insurance company. We also work with defense attorneys as needed. A large part of my job also involves teaching. The corporate office of this company has modules we teach as issues come up and people need refreshers on various subjects. It's a fabulous job and I absolutely adore it! I have a company car, an expense account when I travel (which I do about 25% of the time), and a laptop to use anywhere, so I could do work from home or a hotel room if I had to. It's a salaried position, and I feel respected for the first time in my nursing career.

As for any knowledge I have about fitness and nutrition, we only learn the basics in nursing school. Anything else I've learned has been gleaned from sites like this, or on my own from various sources. The wonderful thing about the subject is that it's always changing and evolving as new discoveries are made, and you can never know it all (although some people like to think they do - LOL!). There is always something new and interesting to learn, and by bouncing things off each other we can sometimes see "old" things from a new point of view, thus increasing our knowledge and understanding. Great question, by the way!

Carol
:)

I worked at Steelcase, in the factory for 18 years, and last Jan., I quit. I am a Premier Designs Jeweler, and I sell high fashion jewelry. We do home shows, and I am happier than I have ever been. Who ever would of thought?? Not me!!!
Lori

Domestic Engineer and getting my BA in Human Development and Psych. Three boys. Two with autism. We run a 40 hour a week behavioral intervention program in our home for them. They go to school and work at home. 40 hours a week. Six days a week. We have been doing that for almost six years now.

Has it been that long?

We still have about three more to go. i can almost taste the ending now!

By then I'll be starting on my masters in Clinical Counseling and getting certified as a School Psych.

Danna

Lori,
You must live in West Michigan! I had worked at Haworth for a couple of years as a plant clerk. (Personally, I don't care for manuf. jobs.)

I work as a Para-pro in a 3-5 year old Special Education classroom. We have one morning and one afternoon class with a ratio of
3 (teachers) :12 (students). I also sub as a Certified Occupational THerapy Assistant on the weekends and summer.

Patti

I am a City Clerk/Administrator and also I do the bookkeeping for my DH construction business.

Joanne

Such an interesting thread:)

I was a stay at home Mom to my 3 daughters from 1989 to 2001 and went back to school for massage therapy. It was the best decision I ever made. Now I am a Registered Massage Therapist in a busy clinic and a Fitness Instructor and I love my jobs!!:)

Take Care
Laurie

I have been a software engineer since 1992. I currently work in the DFW area for a telecom company but am hoping to transition to a full-time fitness-related career sometime in the next year or so. I recently got certified to be a personal trainer (looking for clients right now) and have started teaching group exercise classes again after being away from it for about 5 years. I've been interested in fitness for the last 10 years.

Shonie

I am an Independent Consultant for a natural skin care company. I initially signed up to just purchase my products at a wholesale price (because I saw immediate results on my face and the natural progesterone cream did WONDERS for my PMS)!! But just recently, I have decided to do this as a business. So I guess you could say that is what I do for a living. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.