What did you do for your STS active rest?

Oh, I had all kinds of fun! I tried out (light) kettlebells, had a few endurance rides on the bike, checked out jump rope, went rowing for pleasure on the lake, did some bosu, and even did one of those Forza workouts with swords :) Did a few bodyweight exercises, checked out yoga ... My active recovery weeks are mental breaks as much as a rest time for my body. The only thing I did was limit the amount of high intensity cardio and I avoid challenging weights, because I wanted to avoid workouts that required muscle repair or that highly stimulated my nervous system.

BTW, I've kept up the principle of active recovery week post STS; the value of these can't be underestimated. I'm stronger afterwards, and am not having as many little of those little twinges that used to nag on for weeks, and the burnout rate has gone way down. I'll take an active recovery from high intensity cardio, too, and during those periods I'll emphasize heavy weights and flexibility/balance. My body/mindset is responding well to active recovery about every 4-5 weeks.

Last edited:
The first rest week for me for my first rotation of STS I spent it stacking hay. We put away about 2000 bales that week. But it didn't seem to matter too much I had no trouble continuing w/ STS. I also ran and did a step DVD.

A little of this, a little of that!

I mixed it up! I did a little step, kickbox, walking, yoga---it was nice. I also cut out alot of my extra workouts (meaning no workouts after work even though I workout every morning). I also did one 30 minute section of Kelly Coffey Meyers new weight workout using only a set of 8lb weights.

Enjoy your rest week and do what you truly enjoy doing---it's all good! :)

Denise

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.