What books are you guys reading?

Has anyone else read "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb? That and his other book "I Know this Much is True" are the two best books I've read in a long time.

>>I'm reading "Eleven on Top" by Janet Evanovich. Love these
>>books!
>
>
>I used to listen to all her books on audio at my old job, but
>since I don't have that luxury I actually read books again.
>Once I finish The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks, I am going to
>read #12 by Janet Evanovich. I can't think of the title.
>
>Jenn

Twelve Sharp.

Jeanine

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where
they went.
-Will Rogers

>Has anyone else read "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb? That
>and his other book "I Know this Much is True" are the two best
>books I've read in a long time.

She's Come Undone is fantastic.

Night is amazing too.

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

funny you should ask what we are reading now....i probably have not read fiction since college lit classes (15 years ago), but i just picked up Marley and Me. very touching and hilarious!

i usually read journals related to my profession (nursing)

>Pixie,
>
>I loved "A Long Way Down." Have you read any of his other
>books? "High Fidelity" and "About a Boy" are really good,
>too. I wasn't that thrilled with "How to Be Good." "Fever
>Pitch" was okay, but I just don't understand rugby all that
>well. (Nor, quite frankly, do I want to!)
>
>tpf

Hi Te Te!
Yes, I've read "How to Be Good" and liked it. "A Long Way Down" is great! I love the dark humor! I haven't read High Fidelity or About a Boy but I enjoyed the movies so I suspect that the books are WAY better? I'm with you about the rugby...sounds so boring!:)

Actually, those movies were really good, and did the book justice. John Cusack is the only American I would have trusted to take the setting out of England for "High Fidelity." But, when I was reading it (after my husband had finished it), I was saying stuff like, "Is this REALLY what guys think?" or "Did you feel like that?" My husband began questioning whether he should have given it to me to read...it tells WAY too many "single male secrets." Of course, my husband is a music snob, just like the main character, AND we both love a lot of the British artists that are mentioned in the book.

And, Nick Hornby put enough of his humor in "Fever Pitch," so I was able to get through it, (laughing a lot!). It's more of an autobiography.

Bill, what a great series. You will have years of enjoyable reading ahead of you.

When you are done with this series, there is an author named Dr. Seuss that I think you'll enjoy.

>>Pixie,
>>
>>I loved "A Long Way Down." Have you read any of his other
>>books? "High Fidelity" and "About a Boy" are really good,
>>too. I wasn't that thrilled with "How to Be Good." "Fever
>>Pitch" was okay, but I just don't understand rugby all that
>>well. (Nor, quite frankly, do I want to!)
>>
>>tpf
>
>Hi Te Te!
>Yes, I've read "How to Be Good" and liked it. "A Long Way
>Down" is great! I love the dark humor! I haven't read High
>Fidelity or About a Boy but I enjoyed the movies so I suspect
>that the books are WAY better? I'm with you about the
>rugby...sounds so boring!:)

I have "A Long Way Down" on my shelf. I bought it after hearing an interview with Nick Hornby on NPR. You guys really have me wanting to start it now. I also liked the movie High Fidelity(but I think John Cusak is pretty good at anything he does) and now I'm thinking I need to read that book too!:)

I think that I am going to read a completely mindless smut book. The kids just went back to school, the husband just went back to work and I need a vacation!!! :p

On my shelf, I have been reading a little each week from The China Study, Fast Food Nation, Created to be His Helpmeet, and of course the Bible. :)

Missy

I'm currently reading two books

Duel In The Sun (can't remember the author) and
America Alone by Mark Steyn

Enjoying both of them....

>I'm currently reading two books
>
>Duel In The Sun (can't remember the author) and
>America Alone by Mark Steyn
>
>Enjoying both of them....

Elaine, I'm so glad you posted. I've been interested in reading "America Alone" but I could not, for the life of me, remember the title or the author. I've seen Mark Steyn on a number of interviews and I like him.

LOL Michele!! Everytime one of these "what are you reading" threads is started I end up buying more books and I've got enough books lined up to get me through at least a year. So this time I decided that I would *not* read the replies and just post what I am currently reading while wondering if it would cause even one person to purchase a new book!

And I just love Mark Steyn! Here's the link to his SteynOnline website where there are all sorts of delicous, witty and wise essays to be read.

http://www.marksteyn.com/

next,i plan on reading The Chronicals of Narnia. i have the whole seven book series and can u believe one of my favs is from highschool:
Lord of the Flies
also read the book It-much better than the movie

laura

I just finished "The Thirteenth Tale" and I liked it until I got towards the end. One of the critics for Barnes & Noble actually compared it to "Wuthering Heights" and "Jane Eyre". I certainly would not compare it to either of those, not by longshot. I think the story started out really well but towards the end it just flopped. Now I'm reading a mindless novel by Nora Roberts. I haven't read anything of hers but I really think this one is dull. I'll have to look into some of the titles mentioned in this thread.

Ashley

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (someone else here is reading this one, too).

Prevention's Sugar Solution

You on a Diet

Has anyone read anything by Alice Hoffman? She wrote Practical Magic which was made into a movie. She also wrote Turtle Moon which I loved and I have most of her others. Second Nature was also really good.

Tabitha King (Stephen's wife) has a series-Nodd's Ridge- I've read a few here-One on One, Pearl, and The Book of Reuben. I also thought Small World was different.

I also love Robert McCammon- Swan Song, Boy's Life and Gone South were really good- you Stephen King fans would like himj!!

Ahh, if only winter were longer, we could read so much more!!:p

Doreen

Right now I'm getting ready to start Lisey's Story by Stephen King.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.