What books are you guys reading?

TeTe

Cathlete
I just finished "Assassination Vacation" by Sarah Vowell yesterday.

I'm half-way through "Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper," by Charles J. Shields, and I just started "On Agate Hill," by Lee Smith.

Just finished, "Holiday on Ice" by david sedaris for bookclub.

Have new Amy Tan (something about fishes) sitting on nightstand...

KIM

As a note I love Harper Lee. I always wanted to have a daughter and name her Harper...unfortuantely..hubby ain't having it. Wouldn't go for Scout either... SIGH

KIM

What did you think of the Sedaris book? I love listening to him on NPR, and I have the book, "I Like You: Entertaining Under the Influence" by his sister Amy...it is hysterical!!!

Good thing I didn't have kids, 'cause, I swear, if I'd had a son, I'd have named him "Atticus."

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite book!

I just finished a great book about Katrina, The Great Deluge, and am waiting for a bio of Mao from the library.

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

>Sparrow,
>
>Who is the Mao bio by? Is it Jung Chang and Jon Halliday?

Yes! I loved Chang's Wild Swans and can't wait to get started on this. Have you read it?

Sparrow

- Jimmy Buffett

I finished, with great regret, "Beyond the Sky and the Earth : A Journey into Bhutan". I so loved that story. I'm reading a few books by the Dahli Lama right now as well as my pre-requiste sci-fi -"The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. Which is a great, but LONG read - 11 books so far (one more on the way) that average 800+ pages. But you really get to know the world and the characters.

No, but I read some reviews of "Wild Swans" on Amazon and it seemed like something I'd like. One reviewer mentioned the Mao biography. Okay...two more on my never-ending reading list! Thanks!:)

>The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I love these
>threads!:)

Jennifer, I have been #4 on my library's waiting list for MONTHS for this book. Tell me it's worth the wait...

Sparrow

- Jimmy Buffett

Hi Sparrow,

YES! It is a really intriguing story and I think very well written. I'm in the middle of moving between 2 states so my reading has been sporadic at best but I am definitely looking forward to finding out the rest of the story. It is really a story for people who like to read/write.

I would add that the author is English and I tend to find a distinct difference between English and American authors of non-genre fiction(more exposition, less dialogue). I guess some people who are more used to American writers find this 'difficult'. I read both rather widely so it never bothered me. :)

During winter break from teaching, I just finished The Tenth Circle and The Pact, both by Jodi Piccoult. Great reads!

I'm a *huge* Sedaris fan...if you liked Holidays on Ice, try Naked, if you haven't read that one already. It's a sidesplitter!

I also like the Evanovich series.

Unfortunately, I probably won't have much time to pick up a book again until summer!

I just finished "Little Children" by Tom Perrotta. Entertaining! Very good read! I'm going to check the library for another one by him.

Now I'm reading "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult - just started it. Also have "Thirteenth Tale" on my "to read" bookshelf.

rose2boys

Keep smiling & sweating!

How did you like the Picoult books? I just started The Pact & I like it so far.

rose2boys

Keep smiling & sweating!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.