What about N.O. Xplode?

WOW. What a warning list! Why would anyone take anything that has such a huge warning list?

Well I guess there are a bunch of us idiots out there :confused:. This is laughable, I'm sorry, but disclaimers of this sort are also on any workout dvd, the result of our sue-happy culture. I would be more afraid of eating e-coli contaminated salad or salmonella contaminated peanuts btw. Pretty soon there will be disclaimers on every food label out there. Usually anything with caffeine and amino acids will have that disclaimer, but it is not poison. And neither is food colorant used in its proper indicated manner. That is an inflammatory statement and completely not helpful. Subsequently, you should stop eating nearly everything if you are afraid of food colorant. If you are going to be diligent about things that can really harm you, i.e., change your body's physiology, I would be way more concerned with lead-contaminated objects, mercury in fish, bpa in plastic or in your cans, tracking pesticides into your house, or the spray flame retardant on your sofa. And just the other week I read that using Bare Minerals can cause lung inflammation over the years (read cancer). I suppose there should be a label for that too. So my point is after all that, things should be put into perspective. Pretty soon we won't be able to buy anything in this country unless it has FDA approval and then you are talking big bucks just to get a bottle of vitamins (which is how it is in Europe).

What I've enjoyed about this forum is there are a lot of intelligent women here. An example...one of the members talked about Maca. I was curious because on another forum I read about it being awful and "please don't take it because it causes tremors". Maca is a fine supplement for various uses, but too much is going to overstimulate, and if I would have taken that initial reading as truth, I'd never have found out its uses. I dislike being scared of everything, including the dioxin in white paper filters or the light, my microwave, the cell phone, on and on. If you are going to abuse something, by eating bucket loads of it, there is going to be a problem, that can happen with anything. But I think a few teaspoons of a product that contains creatine/caffeine/b-vitamins/amino-acids (including Tyrosine which is good for the thyroid btw) and the tiniest speck of food colorant, which you get more in a Skittle...sheesh, I'm really shaking now.

And with all due respect (and I mean that, I'm not trying to be rude) your sensible workout probably isn't going to cut it for me and neither is eating granola. I'm not a freak if that's what you are thinking and I am completely natural when it comes to lifting (no Anabol). I workout in the gym so I can ride longer only, and then also for what I do in the winter. And that's what its all about, just being a bit more flexible in how others see things and use them.

Uh, DD I am not sure why Stephanie's reply evoked such a response from you. She was simply sharing the warning and her opinion of it.

It's your body you can do what you want to with it. And just because something isn't an anabolic steriod doesn't mean it's clean.

Did someone mention that aggression was one of the side-effects of Xplode?

Carrie

ROFL! I have to admit, I was thinking the same thing! :) But seriously, DD. If I've gained any wisdom through the years of trying to achieve a certain body type, it's that you can go overboard. I just don't think it's worth pouring unnatural overly processed/chemical-laden things into your body.

You said that my sensible workout probably wouldn't cut it for you. And I'll try not to take offense to that since I do consider myself an advanced exerciser... And, "with all due respect," I'm sure that if I took crazy supplements filled with mood altering/energy altering chemicals, I could bust out a mega super duper crazy workout each day. But I don't want to. I just think it's counterproductive. I'm trying to eat items with short ingredient lists, little processing and few warnings. I understand that most items contain some warnings... allergy indications... warnings for pregnant women... blah blah blah... BUT this supplement or whatever it is says, "Reduce or discontinue use if sleeplessness, tremors, dizziness, nervousness, headaches, or heart palpitations occur." That means it can cause these things. In addition, it warns against using it if you are exposed to excessive heat. What does this mean? Does it mean if you work yourself into a good sweat then you run the risk of having heart palpitations? Isn't that counter intuitive if you're supposed to use this for workout endurance?

The initial post just asked for people's opinions. I gave my opinion. I think it's healthiest to take the most natural path as possible. When I was in my 20s I would have done damn near anything to get thin. Now I'm more sensible and I have factored longevity and health into the equation. I don't think that an extra ounce of muscle and skinnier jeans is worth a possible heart condition. That's all. Just my opinion. :)

And here we go again. This is why I don't visit these boards anymore. DirtDiva is simply stating her opinion - she uses the Xplode but then she gets jumped on for making decision that some think is just plain stupid - whether those words were used or not, the intent is clearly there. Yes, the OP asked for opinions, and DD gave hers too. She has as much of a right to give hers as anybody else does. I use Xplode sometimes - not nearly the recommended amount that they suggest though. It does what I need it to do. I don't use it daily and I have faith in the ingredients. I have read the research, I have read about people who use way too much of it. People who know me know that I don't get in the middle of these catfights - I like to be a peace keeper in life. This isn't high school - we don't need to bring each other down just to feel better about ourselves. We all make decisions in life regarding the things we put in our bodies, the way we treat our bodies, the workouts we delve into. We know what works for us, or at least we should...or be in the process of discovering that. I race in triathlons. It is not an option for me to workout until I am tired and then quit. I must fuel properly for training and races. Xplode (I am talking half of a scoop only) gets me through tough training sessions without one single side effect. And no, I do not expect side effects later on down the road due to the small amounts and lack of frequency that I use it. Sometimes, I drive too fast. Sometimes I will relax with an adult beverage. Sometimes, I get needy and hop across the pond which does me a world of good, and lucky for me, the pond is practically in my back yard b/c England would be way too far to go that often. And no, you will not know what that means, but I do. Some people would think these things are foolish, or dangerous, and some people would totally agree that they are not. There are potential side effect to every single thing we do. Good grief - I could not endure a proper training swim, ride or run on an orange or granola bar, or cup of coffee, but if that works for some people, then great. The issue here, as always, comes down to one person being gutsy enough to present an opinion that varies from the norm, and them people practically stomp on her. It isn't a fun place to be anymore.

I wasn't jumping or stomping on anyone. If you review the comments above, you'll see she was being the sarcastic one. Geesh. I also don't participate in "cat fights" and have been out of high school for a long time. Yes, I agree, people are super sensitive on here now and it's not as fun as it used to be. We used to could debate and discuss without people getting offended or offensive. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. That is NEVER my intention. I thought that these forums were for women (and men) to discuss health and fitness. That's what I was doing. I defended my position that chemicals and stimulants aren't healthy. I did so out of concern for the poster who was considering using these things. Also, as someone who has a heart murmur that went undetected until I was nearly 30 years old, I think it's important to share the knowledge that sometimes we have no idea what underlying health conditions we may have and supplements like this can trigger a very scary reaction. Don't confuse my concern for instigation.

I'm not out for a catfight. Believe me. I was just stating and defending an opinion. :)

Stephanie - I believe you, I do. But you wrote WOW. What a warning list! Why would anyone take anything that has such a huge warning list? I mean, aren't we working out in order to be healthy? Not to push our bodies to the point that we need to pollute them with potentially dangerous supplements... This may sound simple, but I believe in not pushing yourself to such extremes. You wrote that knowing that DirtDiva used Xplode, and had researched it well enough to know that she felt it safe for her body. You used words like *pollute* *dangerous*. Then you said basically that she was pushing body to *such extremes* and you did not believe in that. It is just her choice, as it is mine. You do seem to be a kind soul here, from what I remember. Sometimes, words we use online come across harshly without that intent. I only point it out to you so that you see why I said what I said, which was in no way aimed at just one person, BTW. Now, that's it, I am outta here for another few months.

Really what it comes down to is what an individual is willing to do to be fit and do the activities she wants to do and what an individual thinks of as being fit. For some people, eating "clean" is an important part of being fit. For others, it's all about the results and being able to work out as hard as they care to. We are all different and have different goals and beliefs. There's a million ways to skin this particular cat!

This thread has gotten me curious about this supplement and I might try it in small amounts before a long run or before a heavy weightlifting session.

DirtDiva and Meowracer, have you noticed any negative side effects at all from taking small amounts of this stuff before a hard workout or run? Anything I should watch out for or be careful of? Should I mix it with anything, or...? I should mention that I really don't like the sensation of being over-stimulated, so if it gives you that nervous, jittery feeling like you've had too much coffee, that probably wouldn't be the right supplement for me.

morningstar - when I tell you that I don't notice anything when using it, let me give you some background on me to tell you how much that means, exactly. I cannot even take infant Benadryl. I don't take anything other than Advil, and I only take that for a horrific headache. Medication just has an effect on me that can be freakish. Nothing in Xplode gets me, but I would not take the recommended amount because that is a LOT and I figure largely for big muscle men. I only take one half of a scoop, and I will mix it with Heed powder and I just feel better on long rides or runs. My muscles don't fatigue as fast and I have more energy. You can most likely get a sample at a nutrition/fitness store. I started with a teaspoon from one of those and increased to 2 teaspoons. Not sure how much is in half of a scoop, but my guess is 2-3 tsp. I know you enjoy crazy workouts sometimes, like DirtDiva and myself, and I bet you would enjoy the boost. You don't even feel it - you just think wow, this is a great workout day!

I usually drink coffee before a workout - would you recommend that I skip the coffee if I have the supplement so as to not get too much caffeine?

Hmmmm, well, if caffeine doesn't have an adverse effect on you, then I guess you would be ok to have the cup. If it tends to make you jittery or your heart race, then I would say yes, skip it. I'm assuming it doesn't do that to you though, at least the heart racing part. Personally, I could drink a cup of coffee and then have this, with breakfast in between for sure though. I don't workout or train on an empty stomach and I couldn't imagine having coffee and Xplode in there at once, all alone :).

That said, you may want to try it alone the first time, just to be sure. I was in the middle of STS, thinking about that!

I have tried that - didn't work for me! Would be nice though for a quick lean out but I get too weak feeling. Besides, I usually don't workout first thing. Anyway, the Xplode is flavored and I wouldn't think it would go well with coffee, plus that would be a lot of liquid in your tummy. On top of that, you are supposed to drink extra water - I mix it with about 20 oz. Try Xplode only, and coffee afterwards - would that screw with your routine? I know I have my specific routine in the AM!! :D

I have tried that - didn't work for me! Would be nice though for a quick lean out but I get too weak feeling. Besides, I usually don't workout first thing. Anyway, the Xplode is flavored and I wouldn't think it would go well with coffee, plus that would be a lot of liquid in your tummy. On top of that, you are supposed to drink extra water - I mix it with about 20 oz. Try Xplode only, and coffee afterwards - would that screw with your routine? I know I have my specific routine in the AM!! :D

It probably would, a little bit, but that ain't a bad thing! I do work out first thing, and eat right after finishing. I'll try a small amount of this stuff, and if I'm not feeling too jittery, maybe I'll have a small cup of coffee after my work out.

By the way, what the heck is "Heed powder"?

Hey, where'd everyone go? Seems like everyone was here yelling at each other and then they all went away.

I make a smoothie w/ Xplode, usually with some fresh fruit, scoop of protein powder, tbs almond butter. Gives me tons of energy! I've been using Xplode in the past few years on and off with no ill effects. Works wonderful for me.

Last edited:
Heed - http://www.hammernutrition.com/ I use this: http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/heed-sports-drink.he.html?navcat=fuels-energy-drinks - strawberry flavor. They have a very clean line of products. There are several others that I am going to try now that summer race season is upon is in Texas.

I don't expect you will feel jittery - just do what I did- start small and work up. The half of a scoop is just right for me. And I guess now that we are being nice, the thread isn't fun anymore ;) I hope DirtDiva will return though - she knows a LOT about this stuff.

macska - that sounds like a great idea for a smoothie! I LOVE almond butter.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.