weird precision nutrition blog entry

eraslan

Cathlete
is it me or is the language of this blog entry insulting to women?

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/mans-guide-to-womens-fitness

given that the typical readers of this entry are likely to be women who care about health, fitness, nutrition, etc., and given that such woman are more likely to be independent (at least when it comes to food and physical activity choice), I am totally puzzled with the choice of the language.

What makes you think the typical reader of this article would be a woman? It's title is "A Man's Guide..." and the very first word is "Guys."

Nope, I'm not insulted.

I'm not insulted at all.
It's a man's guide and it reads like one.
John Berardi writes a lot of articles for T-Nation(Testosterone Nation), and most of his articles are posted in his blog and on his website. I read T-Nation occasionally, and I see a lot of post from men asking how to help their partners get in shape.

i guess it depends on the angle we are coming from here. is it b/c the man just thinks his woman needs to get in better shape. then yea i can see that being an insult but i don't see that stated here.or is it b/c the man sees such a great benefit that he wants to share this with his woman or give her a new way to train.

i can see how it comes off as a little insulting b/c i wouldn't want my man to try to tell me how to get in shape, unless of course i asked for his 2 cents which is unlikely to happen. LOL

kassia

i can see how it comes off as a little insulting b/c i wouldn't want my man to try to tell me how to get in shape, unless of course i asked for his 2 cents which is unlikely to happen. LOL

I spend a lot of time reading fitness/nutrition information and relay the information to my husband who doesn't have the time to read like I do.
He doesn't always ask for the info, but he's not insulted when I tell him what I read.

For some reason I don't find it insulting. I can't really knock anyone for wanting to encourage fitness be it man or woman. If the blog was posted by a woman I wouldn't find it insulting either. My little brother who is going through a divorce keeps talking about how he absolutly needs to find someone new who is into fitness as much as he is since it is so important to him.

I did not find article insulting and hey , I hope my Husband always does think I am a "Hot Babe On His Arm", LOL , as well as a partner and supporter of his interest may it be health and fitness or another , just like I need him to be for me. ;)

If it was "A Woman's Guide To Getting Her Man In Shape" I bet a lot of people here would be praising it!

Male or female, no one shapes up unless they really want it.

is it me or is the language of this blog entry insulting to women?

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/mans-guide-to-womens-fitness

given that the typical readers of this entry are likely to be women who care about health, fitness, nutrition, etc., and given that such woman are more likely to be independent (at least when it comes to food and physical activity choice), I am totally puzzled with the choice of the language.
Sorry but I think it's just you :) This is helpful, positive stuff. I can't find anything negative here and I did try. This article looks targeted at a man who wants to include his beloved in his other passion: the pursuit of fitness. Not all women know where to begin when they decide they want to get fit. Some like the idea of going to a gym and others just can't or won't go. The advice on plate and portion sizes is obvious but excellent. My better half usually puts the same amount of food on my plate as he puts on his and it's just tooooooooo much!

I don't think it's a given that the typical reader is likely to be woman either. I could easily see my other half reading something like this if I happened to be the kind of woman who didn't exercise but who he thought might be interested in starting.

You know, the language of this entry IS faintly insulting although I can't put my finger on the reason. Maybe it's the condescendng tone or the "you need to show your woman the way" attitude. Either way, my lip was slightly curled reading it.

Maybe it's the condescendng tone or the "you need to show your woman the way" attitude. Either way, my lip was slightly curled reading it.

hmmmm, I don't read that tone at all.:confused: In fact, he makes what I think is a very bold statement.

"However, don’t be one of those a-hole boyfriends or husbands that’s chronically pestering your partner to make unwanted lifestyle changes. Only introduce these if she’s actually interested in making a change."

Yup, I did see that line...at the end of the entry. I'm not saying that this was a totally chauvinistic piece, but there was something about it that rubbed me the wrong way......

I guess I can see this from a different angle because I give my husband training and nutritional advice. We are both trimming our winter fat away for an upcoming beach vacation, and my DH asks me daily what he should eat. I turned him on to Cathe workouts!

I'm know from reading T-Nation and Figure Fitness that men commonly ask how to help their partner.

I'm know from reading T-Nation and Figure Fitness that men commonly ask how to help their partner.

then i can see why the article was worded the way it was. just to some it didn't mention, "hey your spouse asked you". its so hard to read where ppl come from. overall i don't think it gave bad advice just could have done without "So, you’ve got two choices in life. Either choose a mate that already works out and is fit — in which case, you should probably start chasing women on one of a host of health and fitness forums". i guess i can see how that can rub some folks the wrong way.

kassia

then i can see why the article was worded the way it was. just to some it didn't mention, "hey your spouse asked you". its so hard to read where ppl come from. overall i don't think it gave bad advice just could have done without "So, you’ve got two choices in life. Either choose a mate that already works out and is fit — in which case, you should probably start chasing women on one of a host of health and fitness forums". i guess i can see how that can rub some folks the wrong way.

kassia

I agree. I think the majority of people who read JB's blog are already fans/followers, and know his writing style. I've been reading his material for years. Here is a list to his articles on his official website.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/

I belong to his forum and I have to say, I'm a huge fan. He offers sound nutritional advice and one of the few trainers who doesn't give a one size fits all nutritional plan.

OMG, my advice is not to read T-nation if you are easily offended. The advice comes from a male point of view:eek:
One of my favorite authors on T-nation is Chris Sugart. His writing style offends a lot of people. I think he's funny. Here are all his articles(warning: he uses profanity in his articles).
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...8CC32E5AA175DA7B0B.hydra?pageNo=1&s=readTopic

Last edited:
First, I'm a PN girl and I love John Berardi. The whole PN program is designed for ordinary women who want to be the best they can be and are ready to commit to change. And, as JB stated, he gets A LOT of emails from men who want their women to join them in a fit lifestyle. I can tell you from my own experience having dropped 60lbs, changing my body comp (still lots of work to do) and working with A LOT of men, I hear the same pleas from the guys all the time: "How can I get MY woman to do what you did?" These are guys who look good, feel good, and work out and they want their women to be likewise, partly because they want someone they can do these things with and partly because they want to feel proud of their women. Also, fit people have a different mindset and live a different lifestyle than people who aren't so it makes sense.

Berardi is directing the article to men because he's trying to keep them from approaching their unfit partners in an insensitive way. It's a delicate balance but the bottom line is this: If you're a man who spends a lot of time and effort at being fit you want a woman with the same dedication. These are guys who would prefer the women they already have (isn't that a good thing?) but they're teetering on the brink, getting frustrated, and starting to look around. I see and hear it all the time so I can only imagine what Berardi's hearing.

Human nature is human nature. You can be insulted but it doesn't change what men feel. BTW, you want insulting (and enlightening), you should read the message boards over at t-nation.com. And TC's articles over there will make you realize how little women really understand men. Venus and Mars, I swear.

You know, the language of this entry IS faintly insulting although I can't put my finger on the reason. Maybe it's the condescendng tone or the "you need to show your woman the way" attitude. Either way, my lip was slightly curled reading it.

I think it is the use of "your woman" (like he is an owner of something) And, using the term "chick" to describe a woman.

These are guys who would prefer the women they already have (isn't that a good thing?) but they're teetering on the brink, getting frustrated, and starting to look around. I see and hear it all the time so I can only imagine what Berardi's hearing.

Now, that is insulting.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.