Weight Loss: A fun reverse

SirenSongWoman

Cathlete
Those of you who got fat and have struggled with your weight for many years will know what I'm talking about here.

Remember how you felt one day as you walked towards the double glass doors on a building and saw your reflection in the glass? You saw this big, fat chick and you were stunned. You thought 'Oh my God... that CAN'T be me... How did I ever become this... thing?... with bad hair?' Then, of course, you sort of mentally shrugged your shoulders because it's not like there was anything you could do about it right then. And when you got home, having forgot all about it, you had your usual pint of Hagen Daaz.

Well, as many of you know, I've lost a lot a weight and worked really hard to change my body comp. I am a work in progress but I have to share with you all what the opposite experience is like.

Yesterday, it was cold and I was wearing the pea coat I bought back when I was still fairly fat as I approached the glass doors at work. It's rare to approach those doors with nobody else around so the doors are usually not closed and I don't usually catch more than a tiny glimpse of my reflection - and after 20 years of being fat I tend not to look for my image. This time, though, I could see my reflection the entire length of the walk to the door and the shock just built as I got closer. Even in a too-big coat I was TINY. The image reflected was half the size it had been and my face and neck showed no traces of the fat chick who used to walk through those doors. Like before, I had a very strong feeling about what I saw, then shrugged and moved on with my day. But for that moment... WHAT A FEELING.

I'm not looking for compliments here. What I want is for those of you hurting and struggling to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and if I got to it (almost), after 20 years, you can too! So if you're struggling with food and you really would be much happier chomping on Easter leftovers, chocolate eggs... whatever, than eating your two servings of vegetables and 4-6oz. lean protein, think about those glass doors. I can tell you cleaning up my diet was like some kind of drug withdrawl, and the struggle dragged on for months before I mostly lost the cravings and the need to stuff my face. But believe me, once your body gets used to quality food it gets to a point where it doesn't know what to do with junk, which makes steering clear of the stuff (most of the time ;)) so much easier. You'll know you're succeeding when you actually dig eating broccoli and cauliflower AS you're eating it. It's a horrible struggle to get to that point but it is soooo worth it. So if you're still struggling (someone always is) just STOP. Put down the chocolate bunny. It's time to get down to serious business, once and for all. Do it and I promise, when you see the new you reflected in a pair of glass doors, it will blow your mind.

Stacey,
I can't tell you how much I needed this today! I have the exercise portion down, but I keep fighting the TRUTH! that weight loss is 95% diet! I have been deceiving myself as to how horrible my diet is....literally weeks can pass without consuming a fruit or vegetable. Even when I am reducing my calories...there is so much I am still not eating that I should be.
I find myself watching THE BIGGEST LOSER and thinking that I cannot imagine life without ever eating pizza, french fries or chocolate again. And I could never,ever imagine CRAVING a vegetable...fruit, maybe, but veggies...NEVER!!! To hear you say, that once your body is detoxed, your tastes DO and CAN change, inspires me. I have been on a three week long binge because it just seems so hopeless. I am soooo far out of control...like, seriously...WEEKS pass without a healthy meal...probably even months at times!?!?! WTH is wrong with me???? I'm an adult! I know better!
So, thank you, thank you for sharing this today!!! You may have just helped change someone else's life!
And congratulations to you!!!!! Compliments desired or not...YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so happy for you and your *skinny * view!!!!!!!!:D I think that is a huge success that you can truly see yourself as the thin person you've become. I have never truly seen myself as thin, even when I was a teenager and an optimum weight!
Way to GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky

Stacey, that is one of the most powerful posts I've seen on this forum!! High 5's to you for your hard work, and a great big thank you for sharing your success!! And thank you for the admonition to back away from the chocolate bunny. I went WAY overboard with the Easter goodies this year and it's always so hard to jump back on the bandwagon once you've fallen off. You've just given me all the encouragement I need! :D

Great post Stacy! I"ve been struggling with my weight for the last few yrs. Was always thin until my 40's. Not blaming age, but life style changes. I need to lose at least 40 lbs but right now it just seems impossible! I am very commited to training, but I stink at the diet thing. I over analize, read too many diet books, websites, etc. I too have been in denial about my lack of results are due to a poor diet. I wear myself out exercising (my way of punishing myself for eating too much) and then get really tired and crabby. I lost 4lbs and one inch off my waist during STS meso 1...you'd think that would encourage me to clean up my diet...but no ***sigh***...next week I start meso 3. I am going to be so disappointed if after those next 4 weeks I haven't lost any weight! I just have to buckle down and eat better! I really needed to see your post today, it was very encouraging.

Way to go! That must have been an incredible feeling. I hope, hope, hope you are taking progress pics for yourself. I know you are working very hard. I know this is still a journey for you but I would advise you to go buy yourself something that shows off your new body and love every minute of it. Doesn't have to be pricey at all - just something you can put on and be proud of yourself.

What a great post!!!!! I, too, have the exercise part down, and am working really, really hard on the diet part. I do get fruit and veggie cravings, but still get choc cravings too. Most of the other junk I could do without. But I haven't been able to give up the chocolate.

I'm glad you've realized how far you've come. That is the problem I have. I see myself everyday, so I don't realize the changes. But if I see an old picture - OMG!!!! I was a mess!!!! When you've finally noticed you have changed, that spurs you on even more. I'm happy you've noticed your progress. I know I still have a ways to go, but I see where I was and where I am, and realized I AM DOING IT!!!! And you are DOING IT, too!!!

Good job, girl. Keep it up, and keep checkin' out your smokin' self in the windows:p

Nan

What a great story!!! I would love to see before and after pics. I am always in AWE of people who have truly made a big change in their body. It amazes me what you can do when you put your mind to it. I am soooo happy for you

Keep enjoying that feeling!!!!!

ellie

Thank you all so much. But regarding pictures, I have thought of this often but haven't done it. I once got real panicky about having no "Before" pictures when a guy at work gave me the negatives to some pictures he snapped of co-workers. One was of me walking across the workroom floor with my arms outstretched in a comic gesture. I was wearing my big girl pants and a triple-X men's tee. I have it somewhere and will surely need to dig it out and try and figure out how to get it scanned for online viewers. But I've taken no along-the-way photos, mainly because I live alone and it would mean inconveniencing someone else to snap them. Funny, because I likely would have no trouble finding people willing to do it, since everyone's been so supportive. I have some concerns about the camera adding 10 pounds and the fact that I am just not photogenic. It would be interesting to see.

The other day I was discussing this glass door thing with another co-worker who's also lost a lot of weight and, like me, still working on it. She said the same thing happened to her at the gym. She'd been wearing big clothes and was finally wearing a tank when she caught her transformed reflection in a gym mirror. She said it didn't register immediately but when it did she backed up and looked again. Amazing. I get stopped a lot at work and asked how I did it. I always say "I radically cleaned up my diet and do intense, heavy weight training." Cardio factors in but not a lot and everybody seems so disappointed when they find that out... and that it's not some freaky liquid diet or magic pill. But when a co-worker/friend asked "how low" I plan to go I was stumped so I told him I don't think like that. And I don't. I just got tired of being tired all the time and feeling like a slug and I'm interested to see what kind of body I wind up with doing it the right way. I guess I'll know when I get there.

I promise you this, though, when I get to my destination there will be "After" pictures galore!

stacey, you are pretty dang awesome!!!

ive snacked entirely too much today and feel really horrible for it.
I WILL NOT EAT CRAP ANYMORE!

thanks for a great post!!

Thanks for this Stacey. Your post really speaks to me and I plan to remember it and follow your advice next time I'm feeling weak/down.

Oh, and WAY TO GO!!!!

Amy

Another thanks, Stacey; I needed to hear that today too! Others have already said it, but I have the exercise part down great, it's all about the diet part for me and boy is it a struggle! Thanks for the great post!

I hear ya and seeing yourself and wondering who it is. Even after years and years, the inside image of the fat person does not seem to leave.

Becky, you cannot give up. One of these days it will stick. It took me 40 years, and still it creeps up faster than it takes to push it back down. Start one hour at a time, one meal at a time, and celebrate the things you do right, not get down on the wrong things.

Stacey you are definitely not alone in your quest! I have been horrified by my body changes off and on through the years. I can honestly say that STS has renewed my vision. :) I think I am close to feeling sexy again! :)

Stacey - Really great post!

Becky - Don't give up! The biggest changes in our lives sometimes happen with baby steps. Don't think about never having pizza again...as Dorothy said, take it one meal at a time and celebrate your successes. Don't beat yourself up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.