Wal Mart sucks!

i haven't had a problem when i have to go to the one here. but most ppl are nice in general, somebody in the parking lot will notice and tell me i left something on the bottom of the cart. cashiers will run after customers if they left something behind. if i left it in the store it might be one thing but i agree that there isn't much they can do if i left it in the cart outside. but when you called they could have nicely explained that they are not liable instead of givng you the "too bad" attitude.some folks will act like that for whatever reason and its not called.

but not to hijack the thread,my sister works for BJ's in jersey(somewhere near tuckerton or something) and on her lunch break she notice an elderly couple she just checked out having car issues. their battery died AND they had a flat so she managed to charged their battery b/c she alwys keeps jumper cables in her car and she knows how to change a tire. so she pretty much had 2 minutes to spare of her lunch break when she was able to help them shove off for home. there's customer service for ya LOL!!!

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

I had a bad experience almost 8 years ago at our Walmart and to this day will not shop there. People talk about returning stuff to Walmart without a receipt and never having an issue. I had received a stroller/car seat combo from people at work, which still had a sticker from Walmart on it. We had researched car seats for the safest and had another one picked out, so I really didn't want the one I had received as a gift. I also didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by asking for the receipt, so I just took it back. My local Walmart wouldn't issue store credit to be used at a later date - we had to spend the money before we left the store! If they had issued a store credit, the money would have been spent more wisely and they would have had a happy customer!

Why wouldn't you just go back with it another day? I wouldn't expect a store of that size to be able to issue a store credit. And I wouldn't expect them to give you cash for a later date (cuz that could be a scam) so what other choice do they have but to ask you to do the exchange on the same day. I think that the fact that they were willing to do an exchange w/o a receipt is pretty good. That's why most stores issue gift receipts. I think people expect too much from the big corporations. Yes they may make millions or even billions, but that doesn't mean that they should just give in to every customer too.

I haven't run into any problems shopping at Wal Mart. I run into more problems with people who are on those motorized carts, in my way, and the others who simply need to be. Very sad. Makes me feel like I am in a hospital instead...I wish people would stop eating so bad. They are killing themselves. Entirely different topic. Sorry to hijack. Had to vent.

Charlotte~~

I personally stay as far away from Target as possible. I don't like some of their corporate policies, especially concerning our Military. Having been former military, that hurts me a lot that they have refused to support them overseas. Between that and not allowing the Salvation Army bell ringers in front of their stores have left a bad taste for me and Target (I used to spend most my paychecks there!). In Florida, Salvation Army was a literaly lifesaver after the recent devestating hurricanes. The Christmas season is one of their hugest donation times of the year and it's been hard for them to recover, then Target deals them a low blow by not allowing them in front. No Thanks!

Wal-Mart allows the Salvation Army bell ringers.

The news about Target not allowing the Salvation Army to station bell ringers outside of their stores was widely publicized but, until I went to the Salvation Army website, I didn't realize that Target donated a million dollars to the SA. They also launched a campaign called the Angel Giving Tree where they offered angel ornaments for sale and all proceeds went to the SA. The Salvation Army probably earned more money from Target this way than if they had positioned a bell ringer at the door. Forbes lists Target as the #1 most charitable company in America.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn.nsf

I will have to investigate their policies regarding the military. Our men and women in the military and their families are the only ones receiving a charitable donation from me this year.

ETA that I just found this on a veteran's website:
http://www.vva.org/whatsnew/target_response.htm

This link to Target was found on the above website:
http://sites.target.com/site/en/corporate/page.jsp?contentId=PRD03-001461

HTH:)

Michele, as usual I agree with everything you have said in this thread. :D

Couple of things I have heard about both Walmart and Target, take them with a grain of salt of course:

- Walmart promotes more women into managerial/supervisory/high level positions than any other retailer (of course they probably have more women in all positions because they are so huge).

- Walmart is the #1 scammed/ripped off/shoplifted store in the country. Could be why they are so tense with customers some times.

- Target doesn't allow any solicitation outside their stores at all, Salvation Army or otherwise. I did boycott them last year because they were one of those irritation retailers who were happy to use "Eid" and "Chanukah" in their ads but refused to use "Christmas." However, they changed that this year and are now using all three.

Wal-mart has great prices on things but shopping there depresses me. Hugely overweight people in stretch pants and tweety bird t-shirts hauling their screaming children all over the store whilst purchasing cheaply-made crap and processed food. Sorry if that offends anyone but it's what I see. I can't take much of it, honestly.

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

I think some Walmart stores are definitely better than others. The newer stores in the more expensive suburbs are less crowded and cleaner than the older stores.

That being said, for those of you who can't stand how dirty Walmart stores are - and I assume you are referring mainly to the restrooms -will be happy to know they are remodeling the restrooms in all of their stores over the next few years in order to avoid going the direction of K-Mart. I know this because my company, a manufacturer of plumbing products, will grow its business 30% next year (a conservative estimate) thanks to Walmart alone. My company has spent the last 6 months gearing up for the new business AND new jobs they are generating. While I can't remember from our last corporate update exactly how many stores and when, the point is Walmart recognizes its public image problems and is addressing them.

Forgive me but I can't say too many bad things about Walmart. :)

Sue

I love Wal-Mart.

I have a friend who hates Wal-Mart. She says Wal-Mart is hurting all of the small business owners like her brother. Her brother own an Arby's. HUH???? Am I the only one who thinks Arby's is a HUGE national chain bumping out all the little family businesses????????? I would think Bubba's Grab Yer Grub would be a small business. But Arby's?

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Are there unionized department stores left?

Organized (union) labor now represents 11% of the US work force. At some point people are going to have to realize that unions don't have the political clout they once had and therefore aren't the reason our economy is in shreds.

People have their likes or dislikes for unions, justifiably so. Some served well others not so well.

I found an interesting article on the subject. It reminded me of a show I watched recently on the good and bad of walmart. Not sure what it was called, but it seemed pretty fair to me. :

www.fastcompany.com/online/77/walmart.html

I will agree with Michele on the union thing. Once a union gets ahold of a company, it's days are probably numbered. That being said, walmart's goals are to have the lowest prices ever ever EVER. Although that sounds like a great deal to the consumer, what does that mean to the manufacturer? What does it mean to the small sellers who try to get their stuff sold at walmart? In the show, you follow a couple who are attempting to get walmart to buy their product and you realize how far walmart is willing to go to drop their prices even a couple of cents, even if it means that the manufacturer makes no money or loses money.

This is why walmart buys from India and places like that. In order to have rock bottom prices, you must pay the makers of the jeans or whatever, rock bottom wages. So the show takes us to India, in a warehouse to see what kind of conditions the people work in. Of course they make something like .12 cents a day or something outrageous like that (I'm not sure the exact numbers). They live in shacks and are beyond poor compared to our country.

As for walmart closing down mom and pop stores, I don't think there's anyway to prove that one way or another. It does make sense though that people would go to a huge store that has everything, instead of making lots of trips to support local stores. Of couse everything is cheaper at walmart as well, which would give people the ultimate motivation to shop there.

Anyway, I think the show was called: Walmart, good or evil?

Of course, the show points out the good it does in communities as well. Walmart is one of the biggest contributors to charities and they do employ thousands of people (many of them are women). I believe they were one of the literal life savers in the Katrina disaster as well. From what I remember, they did WAY more for the victims than FEMA or even anyone else. They are also taking their model to China which I think could do some good for that country. They are also beyond effecient as a company and have amazing abilities to track consumer spending.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Carolyn

Regarding this remark:
"I run into more problems with people who are on those motorized carts, in my way, and the others who simply need to be." There but by the grace if God go all of us! Some people use those carts because they have MS or have been in a car accident through no fault of their own. Charlotte, even you could find yourself needing one of those carts, and I hope you never get in anyone's way.

Hi Carolyn,

I love your reasoned approach. ;-)
>That
>being said, walmart's goals are to have the lowest prices ever
>ever EVER.>

Anyone who comparison shops knows that Walmart does not always have the best prices. But, no store does. Some will be lower on some items and higher on others.

>
>Anyway, I think the show was called: Walmart, good or evil?
>
I think this is the documentary you are talking about.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

Tracey
"Where there's a will, there's a way."

I have to agree with Jeanee on this... after u leave the store and are in the parking lot, walmart isn't responsible if we leave stuff we buy in the cart. That is our fault.....

Rhonda

I have to agree with Jeanee on this... after u leave the store and are in the parking lot, walmart isn't responsible if we leave stuff we buy in the cart. That is our fault.....

Rhonda

>
>Hi Tracey! Yes, that's it! I've been racking my brain all
>morning trying to remember! Have you seen it?
>
>Carolyn
>
>

Oh yes. I love Frontline. I hardly ever miss an episode.

Tracey

>
>Hi Tracey! Yes, that's it! I've been racking my brain all
>morning trying to remember! Have you seen it?
>
>Carolyn
>
>

Oh yes. I love Frontline. I hardly ever miss an episode.

Tracey

You know, I've said it before & I'll say it again. I think it's the people that SUCK and make places SUCK. People are crazy....at Walmart, Target, Sears, CVS, Home Depot, blah blah blah. Yeah, you get my drift ;)

Debbie

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice.
--Dave Barry

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.