Using a weight vest with legs?

I'm finding my forearms fail before my legs do - my target weight is usually 30-40 lbs and by the 10th or 12th exercise, I simply just can't hold the weights anymore. :( I don't want to do the rest of the workout using 15s, so would it give me the same results if I used 15s with a 20 lb weight vest on some of the exercises, especially the lunges and squats? I was planning on using the dumbbells for the deadlifts.

Same problem here w/the forearms failing. My legs could withstand the weight, but my forearms would give out. I finally got a weighted vest and performed my last legs disc of M2 with it :eek: :D. I was a happy camper :D. I plan to do all my STS legs disc with my vest going forward.

Good luck!

Natasha

I use a weighted vest also. I tried those lifting hooks and preferred the weighted vest. :)

Does anyone know if there are any exercises (on legs) that you should NOT do with the weighted vest? Or ones that would be less effective? Like it seems like deadlifts with the vest might not be so great for the back?

Also, if you're working with a 20 lb vest, is that 20 lbs included on your weight selection? For instance, I may have 30 lbs as my goal weight for lunges, if I use a 20 lb weight vest does that mean I should be using my 10 lb weights? It just feels wrong to go THAT light on the dumbbells, but I also don't want to go heavier than I'm supposed to in this month.

Does anyone know if there are any exercises (on legs) that you should NOT do with the weighted vest? Or ones that would be less effective? Like it seems like deadlifts with the vest might not be so great for the back?

Also, if you're working with a 20 lb vest, is that 20 lbs included on your weight selection? For instance, I may have 30 lbs as my goal weight for lunges, if I use a 20 lb weight vest does that mean I should be using my 10 lb weights? It just feels wrong to go THAT light on the dumbbells, but I also don't want to go heavier than I'm supposed to in this month.

Regarding deadlifts, I won't do them with my vest. I have a bad lower back and it does put unnecessary strain. I'm not sure if it is safe or not though :(

As far as the vest, if my goal is 50lbs for squats for instance, I would use my 20lbs vest + 2x15lbs dumbbell's. The overall "lbs" is the same, and I don't think it matters that you go lighter on the dumbbell's. I don't feel this is wrong, and I would rather have my vest as assistance...my forearms just can't handle the heavy weights :(

Natasha

I just (now) figured it out - duh. 10 lbs off each dumbbell, not overall. So I've got my weight vest on and lifting 20s, not 10s. Now it makes sense.

So I finished 1st leg DVD of Meso 2 & used my vest. Wow! I was surprised how heavy I could lift with the vest on! I used to squat 32lbs DB (64lbs) but today I lifted 80 lbs for the squat! I would definitely use the vest again.

I'm finding my forearms fail before my legs do - my target weight is usually 30-40 lbs and by the 10th or 12th exercise, I simply just can't hold the weights anymore. :( I don't want to do the rest of the workout using 15s, so would it give me the same results if I used 15s with a 20 lb weight vest on some of the exercises, especially the lunges and squats? I was planning on using the dumbbells for the deadlifts.

not really a good idea because it can also cause skin problems, like rashes and all. plus its not very comfortable to use.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.