Using 1RM for other workouts

Hey there Cathy! We have done the Timesaver workouts and we like them. We have been following Cathe's April 09 rotation and it is a KILLER! :) We had forgotten how hard the pyramids and GS series were! Yes, we will be starting our STS rotation on 6/15. My husband used to be the same way...when he hit 36, gravity in the middle started to take over! Now he actually feels guilt when he doesn't work out!
I haven't really thought about a new check in name for our next rotation...my imagination is in a holding pattern! :)
Have fun this week,

Cathe or anyone,
I've been really impressed with how accurate the 1RM calculator has been in getting me to use the appropriate weight in STS (just heavy enough). So much so, that I want to make sure I use the best weight for the best results when i go back to the other Cathe weight workouts. Are there any helpful guidelines (just in general) we could use to pick weights for those in the future? For example, should we try to use 60-65% our 1RM for your endurance workouts, and 70% or so for the slow/heavy type workouts? This may have been discussed before but I can't find anything yet on the topic. Thank you!

Here is a 1RM guide that should help you for any workout:

If your goal is 15 -20 reps..........use 60% to 70% of your 1RM

If your goal is 10-14 reps..........use 70% to 80 %of your 1RM

If your goal is 4-9 reps..........use 80% to 90% of your 1RM

If your goal is 2-3 reps..........use 95% of your 1RM

Last edited:
Just did Supersets and calculated the weight load according to my 1RM. I used 60% and although it wasn't a breeze, it worked (with the exception of biceps... should have dropped to 55%)! Of course, I had to take a few extra seconds of rest time before each Round.
I really can't believe how strong STS made me... I wouldn't think of using that much weight at that speed before... actually tried the 60% load with BM2 before starting STS and it was impossible to do!

Chris.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.