Using 1RM for other workouts

taterkc

Cathlete
Cathe or anyone,
I've been really impressed with how accurate the 1RM calculator has been in getting me to use the appropriate weight in STS (just heavy enough). So much so, that I want to make sure I use the best weight for the best results when i go back to the other Cathe weight workouts. Are there any helpful guidelines (just in general) we could use to pick weights for those in the future? For example, should we try to use 60-65% our 1RM for your endurance workouts, and 70% or so for the slow/heavy type workouts? This may have been discussed before but I can't find anything yet on the topic. Thank you!

AWESOME question!!! I'm thinking, like PUB/PLB, my fave Cathe weight work (besides STS, of course)! And I was wondering this very same thing!!! Thanks for asking it!

Gayle

Cathe or anyone,
I've been really impressed with how accurate the 1RM calculator has been in getting me to use the appropriate weight in STS (just heavy enough). So much so, that I want to make sure I use the best weight for the best results when i go back to the other Cathe weight workouts. Are there any helpful guidelines (just in general) we could use to pick weights for those in the future? For example, should we try to use 60-65% our 1RM for your endurance workouts, and 70% or so for the slow/heavy type workouts? This may have been discussed before but I can't find anything yet on the topic. Thank you!

Can't wait for an answer:)

I'd like to know this too. It seems though that most of Cathe's weight workouts are nonstop-not even that 30 second break after each set of 15 reps that we have been getting in meso 1. It makes me think of going even lighter than 60% for most of them in the future. Which probably makes them more of metabolic resistance training really.
Beth

adding another request for the answer to this.

I was thinking of going with about 75% or 80% for S&H. Does that sound about right?

I tried Body Max 2 with 60% of 1RM... no can do!!! :D:D:D

I was thinking that 50-55% would be a good place to start and move up from there if needed.

Note that the rep patterns, speed, rest periods and reps vary with other Cathe workouts. So the weight load you might use, e.g. for Gym Styles would probably be different for Muscle Max.

You might consider that doing the Pyramids at 70-75-80% (according to Meso 2 weight load) would be a bit too much since there is no rest between sets. Also, for Slow & Heavy using 75 or 80% would need a longer rest.

HTH,

Chris. :D

I tried Body Max 2 with 60% of 1RM... no can do!!! :D:D:D

I was thinking that 50-55% would be a good place to start and move up from there if needed.

Note that the rep patterns, speed, rest periods and reps vary with other Cathe workouts. So the weight load you might use, e.g. for Gym Styles would probably be different for Muscle Max.

You might consider that doing the Pyramids at 70-75-80% (according to Meso 2 weight load) would be a bit too much since there is no rest between sets. Also, for Slow & Heavy using 75 or 80% would need a longer rest.

HTH,

Ditto! I finished my last week of Meso 3 and this week I am doing Timesaver workouts until DH and I start our new rotation next week. Last night I tried to do my 85% with the chest/tricep one. I actually LOL! Most of her weight workouts are endurance and there is NO WAY I could do them with 85%...I would be lucky with 60%!

HTH,

Thanks, I'll try 70 and see how it goes next week. The minute rest should be the same as Meso 2, but since the slower speed is more demanding I'll stick to the lighter side of Meso 2 range (or go lower if needed :eek:).

Wow! Using 70% was toooo heavy for S&H chest. I did that this morning. I should have known when I was using a 60 pound barbell for chest press when Cathe started with 25 pound dumbbells and quickly went down to 20.

By the end of the workout I was just trying what Cathe used and then had to go down even more for the incline flies since I fried myself with 60 pounds for round 1 and 58 for round 2 of bench presses. :confused:

Next week I'll just try and start with what Cathe does and hope I can keep up. :eek: The good news is that I started at heavier and then was at what Cathe was doing for part of the workout. All thanks to STS!!!

i wondered this too, but as i've been doing 4-day split this week, i have been going heavier than i used to, but the reps are faster and as beth said there is no rest. so, i know i could not lift as heavy as meso 3 in the faster moving workouts. but, i do not have very many of cathe's weight workouts , so don't know how the rep pace is in those.
cathy

I've been trying to use my "5% stronger" weights when doing my favorite Cathe weight workouts since I finished STS. Most of the time I do fine. I have to remember so many of the older ones are endurance with little rest time between sets. Today I did Gym Style Back, Shoulders, Biceps and was able to use heavier weights than ever before, mostly 75-80% of my 1RM. Had to stop twice to wipe the sweat from my eyes!! STS is so incredible and I am so grateful for even knowing there was such a thing as "1RM"! :D

hey melissa, do you like the timesaver workouts? i have them, but have never used them. i have been doing 4-day split. i may finish off this week with timesaver. i want t o take next week off before we start STS again. have you thought of a good check-in name? are ya'll still starting on the 15th? i wish my husband would workout with me. but, he is tall and skinny and can eat anything he wants. it is kinda sickening!!! he loves ice cream. which i don't really care for, so that is not a problem for me. but, i do love COOKIES and other stuff. :)
cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.