Ultimate Yogi

mfv3

Cathlete
What does everyone think of these workouts?

I'm looking for intense yoga with advanced poses and movements. I do love a good relaxing yoga too. Does this series have what I'm looking for in your opinion?

Likes? Dislikes?

I have been doing UY exclusively since 12/14 and I've lost a few lbs. ( I was stuck before.) I am not hungry all of the time anymore and I think that's partially due to the whole "mindfulness" aspect of yoga. I am sleeping through the night and it's a quality sleep. I have struggled a long time with poor sleep.

I really enjoy the practices and the cardio one really moves. Some are power yoga and others focus on long, sustained stretches. It is a comprehensive and balanced program. I love it, it's a different challenge for me. I used to scoff and think yoga couldn't provide me with the challenge I love, this has proven me wrong. I recommend it.:)

Travis is quirky at times, but I like his style. I first bought Cross Training, then Short & Sweet and enjoyed them, so bit the bullet on the full set. Between XTrain & UY, I find myself calmer and wanting to eat better. He has a bunch of video clips on the UY web site, so you can get a feel for his approach.

I really, really like this series so far. I'm not following it as a rotation yet. XTrain arrived about the same time. I'm doing the 30 Day Undulating & Ride rotation, but I'm thinking about doing a rotation next month to do more from the UY.

I would recommend buying Short & Sweet. There are 3 routines approx. 30 minutes each; each gets progressively more challenging. They are the ones I've been doing the most with my current rotation.

Lisa

Well, Marie, you know how much I've been loving these. ;) I've only had them a few weeks but I swear I've been sleeping better. As you know, I've been doing my other workouts from XTrain, too and I'll probably never just do yoga exclusively. Actually, I have a hard time doing anything exclusively it seems. :eek: I do think this is a great program though and I want to continue doing at least one of these a week. I really believe it is a great complement to heavy strength training!

I am in love with this program. I am so relaxed when I finish a practice and I'm sleeping better. There is no dread factor doing an almost hour long dvd. Travis' voice is so soothing. I highly recommend it.

I LOVE this program. I posted a question about it several months ago and I'm so glad I purchased it. I'll admit that I don't love yoga. For me, it's simultaneously slow and challenging, which I don't gravitate towards. However, since starting this program, my flexibility has increased, I feel more relaxed and am learning to control my breathing when I'm not feeling relaxed. The only thing I don't like is that the practices are 60 minutes or longer. I prefer to keep my workouts at about 45 minutes. But, it was well worth the purchase price and has changed my opinion of yoga. I also bought Short and Sweet, but haven't yet tried it.

Do you think that someone recovering from knee surgery could do this?
I was told by my PT to gain more flexibility. I have MAJOR insomnia, and am intrigued by those of you who have seen improvement in this area.
Should I just get short and sweet? Or the whole sha-bang?!
BTW I have never done yoga before! Is this too much for a beginner?
Thanks!

Hi Carolyn-

I don't know where you are in terms of your recovery, but there is a lot of leg work in these. You hold in a plie, you hold in a chair pose (low squat) and you do warrior poses and crescent poses (lunges). These are primarily body weight workouts. There are loads of chatturangas (yoga-style push ups).

I have been dabbling in Yoga for a year. I have been doing Shiva Rae, Eoin Finn and Cathe's yoga from LIS. I would say if you can do Cathe's Yoga Max, you have the knowledge of the poses required for UY. I think UY moves more quickly than Yoga Max.

I am doing this exclusively because my joints hurt me all of the time doing traditional weights. Mentally, too, I needed a break.

You could go to Travis' website to get a better sense these practices. I love these practices. I am really seeing some nice definition in my arms and my waist looks more "nipped in" than it did previously. :)

I hope you can make this work for you. :)

Carolyn-

Take a look at UY Foundations. It has 3 workouts on it which are 45-50 minutes in length and may be a starting point to help with your recovery.

There is a Gentle Yoga if you decide to buy the full program that would also be a good start.

Good luck with your recovery.
Lisa

Hi and thanks to you all! Lol
I ordered foundations last night as well! Some times yoga helps relieve my headaches and helps me relax i hope that is what foundations will help with! I cant wait to try it.
Gosh i hope im home when its delivered...dont want hubby to know i ordered more lol.

I have quite a bit of yoga experience and am curious about Travis's Short and Sweet. Would anyone be willing to post a brief description of the 4 different practices on this DVD? Wondering: do they have different focuses? do they include many twists? are they mostly standing poses or some seated? any time spent on core? Planks/upper body strengthening?

thank you! I look forward to the day I can offer answers on this forum instead of all the questions. Everyone is really helpful.

Short & Sweet

I've done 3 of the 4 workouts on the DVD. The 4th one is led by Lauren Eckstrom which is the one I haven't done.

The ones led by Travis each have something different to offer. In the 1st one, you're doing a lot of warrior poses, you also do a crow and toward the end a wheel. The 2nd one seems more geared to flexibility. The 3rd one is more focused on balance.

From what I've done of the series, I'd say he tried to incorporate some of the concepts (balance, vitality, flexibility) in to Short & Sweet. Honestly, it should be named Short & Sweat, because even though they are ~30 minutes, I get a good sweat on.

Today I did Yin Yoga from the series and that has been the hardest one for me. Holding those poses was really challenging.

Lisa

I've done 3 of the 4 workouts on the DVD. The 4th one is led by Lauren Eckstrom which is the one I haven't done.

The ones led by Travis each have something different to offer. In the 1st one, you're doing a lot of warrior poses, you also do a crow and toward the end a wheel. The 2nd one seems more geared to flexibility. The 3rd one is more focused on balance.

From what I've done of the series, I'd say he tried to incorporate some of the concepts (balance, vitality, flexibility) in to Short & Sweet. Honestly, it should be named Short & Sweat, because even though they are ~30 minutes, I get a good sweat on.

Today I did Yin Yoga from the series and that has been the hardest one for me. Holding those poses was really challenging.

Lisa

thanks, Lisa!

I have quite a bit of yoga experience and am curious about Travis's Short and Sweet. Would anyone be willing to post a brief description of the 4 different practices on this DVD? Wondering: do they have different focuses? do they include many twists? are they mostly standing poses or some seated? any time spent on core? Planks/upper body strengthening?

thank you! I look forward to the day I can offer answers on this forum instead of all the questions. Everyone is really helpful.

here ya go breathe! :)
Breakdowns for Yoga Short & Sweet? - Video Fitness Forum

I got it today! Just thought id let u know, i dont know how it went on tracking inLa to Sc in a day but it did! I have hardstrikes today thrn im gonna partake in these yoga tapes to see how i feel after! I also am trying to decide if i should get lemils compat pr turbofire hum.. Lol

Carolyn! I just saw ur post! Yes i agree it wasnt a workout but it is what i was looking for. I have done with the moves before but loved the way he explains things. I do like his voice.
I felt stretched and relaxed. Im wondering do i need to keep doing the first one or move on to the second on ? I thought do the first one a few times then the sec one and so on. But i may try the second one today just to do it. Im not looking for a " workout" from it.. I really am looking for something to do before bed to calm me and help my muscles and also body awareness, i have head yoga helps with listening to ur body to help to know when to eat and when not to. Have u ever heard that before? Ill try anything to help me eat less.

But really i loved the first one at fisrt it was to slow arms up arms down i kept thinking ok dude i got it, but i started to be more calmer lol. Man i bet ur children was laughing..have to say i would have giggled if my mom was doing these and i was younger. Ha ha id think oh wow what is she doing now! Funny how kids make little things so amuseing. I always try to keep a childlike humor abput me .. Id love to have been a fly on ur wall! So cute.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.