Two vs. Three sets

lala1

Cathlete
Hi Cathe or anyone else who can help. I am back to lifting after a back injury and am using the RWH series. I can´t lift as heavy as before just yet, and am wondering is it better to lift heavier for two sets of the same muscle group or go for the three set with lighter weights?

Definitely a good idea!
During some of the STS Meso 2 upper body workouts, Cathe adds 'back off sets'. For the last set of an exercise, you drop down in weight (by 40%, I think) from your previous sets and work to failure. These back off sets apparently help recruit more muscle fibers.
Not saying that you should stick to a 40% reduction or that you must work to failure, just saying that a final, lighter set might be a good idea in more ways than one! :D

Hi Cathe or anyone else who can help. I am back to lifting after a back injury and am using the RWH series. I can´t lift as heavy as before just yet, and am wondering is it better to lift heavier for two sets of the same muscle group or go for the three set with lighter weights?

If you are just coming off of an injury, go through the whole workout with lighter weight and make sure that all the moves are comfortable for your back. If that felt OK, then next time you do the workout do two heavier sets. If that felt ok, then next time do the workout as is. Good Luck!

If you are just coming off of an injury, go through the whole workout with lighter weight and make sure that all the moves are comfortable for your back. If that felt OK, then next time you do the workout do two heavier sets. If that felt ok, then next time do the workout as is. Good Luck!
Thanks so much for your advice!

Hi, Cathe. I'm having the same issue, as well. I have just gone back to working out after 8 years of bad back and now bone spurs in neck!! I'm working out with RWH, been doing AMAZINGLY WELL considering that I quit smoking almost 2 months ago. Woke up this morning screaming in pain with inner left knee pain and swelling. I took a day off today and used my pain medication and slept. Then, I actually cooked and cleaned a little. I had not been giving myself any breaks!! As a old 'new' again working out, how much down or rest time should I give myself??? I'm doing great with lifting weights. I can actually use close to your weights, but the cardio is painful in the way when you haven't worked out in a long, long, time.

When you do the cardio, are you trying to match Cathe move for move? I love RWH even the cardio but due to my knee issues I am very careful to dial down all the moves to more knee friendly versions and some of the moves I'll sub a different move if I feel like I'm working the knees too much. I have learned how to sub moves to suit my physical limitations or else like you my knees would be talking to me. It takes a little creativity but can be done. Good luck with your knee pain. I hope you find that happy workout medium where you don't inflate your knee so much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.